Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Anyone Check Their Valve Clearances?

I have great experience with shim under bucket valve clearance arrangement because its used on high performance motorcycle engine and motorcycles are my bag.

Out of maybe a dozen bikes Ive only had to adjust the valves ONCE on one engine. Ive checked clearances maybe a dozen times.

This is your chance to post if you've ever checked the Yaris clearances and what you found. Almost no one does this or at least Ive seldom seen a post.

Bonus points if you've ADJUSTED them!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm building a head right now so I'll be doing it hopefully this week. I'm waiting on rebuild seal kit.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
bronsin

You mean before disassembly you are going to check the clearances for possible adjustment during assembly?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

The head is completely disassembled right now.

Check post 9 here...
Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I have great experience with shim under bucket valve clearance arrangement because its used on high performance motorcycle engine and motorcycles are my bag.

Out of maybe a dozen bikes Ive only had to adjust the valves ONCE on one engine. Ive checked clearances maybe a dozen times.

This is your chance to post if you've ever checked the Yaris clearances and what you found. Almost no one does this or at least Ive seldom seen a post.

Bonus points if you've ADJUSTED them!
Never checked mine, is there ever a need to do this?
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:47 AM   #6
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
yes
you should check valve clearances every 60,000 miles
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by woops View Post
yes
you should check valve clearances every 60,000 miles
i don't find a maint schedule in the owners manual for this, is this something Toyota recommends? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
Flammable

Update, I found a 2008 Yaris owners manual online and it there is says check engine valve clearance every 60k miles. I have a 2012 Yaris and don't see this mentioned anywhere. I was recently at Toyota to have recall work done and talked with a master repair tech. I told him I was doing my own oil changes and such and asked him what upcoming maintenance I would have other than oil changes. I currently have 35k miles and he told me at 100k the coolant needs changed and at 120k the spark plugs and auto tranny fluid need changed. Other than that from now till then just oil changes, inspections, tire rotations. Never mentioned an engine valve check/adjustment. Could toyota have done something on my car that makes this procedure unnecessary?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Never checked mine, is there ever a need to do this?
That's what Im trying to determine. BAsed on my experience with motorcycle engine, and the fact that Ive never heard of a problem with the Yaris engine coming from not doing it, I would say no.

Its pretty easy to CHECK the clearances, but difficult to ADJUST them.

As others have said, the official requirement is 60,000 miles.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
bronsin

Quote:
Update, I found a 2008 Yaris owners manual online and it there is says check engine valve clearance every 60k miles. I have a 2012 Yaris and don't see this mentioned anywhere. I was recently at Toyota to have recall work done and talked with a master repair tech. I told him I was doing my own oil changes and such and asked him what upcoming maintenance I would have other than oil changes. I currently have 35k miles and he told me at 100k the coolant needs changed and at 120k the spark plugs and auto tranny fluid need changed. Other than that from now till then just oil changes, inspections, tire rotations. Never mentioned an engine valve check/adjustment. Could toyota have done something on my car that makes this procedure unnecessary?
It may be based on historical data they just eliminated the requirement. I seriously doubt they made a change to this engine just for that reason.

This is an outstanding engine design, good for decades IMO.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Flammable

u
Quote:
It may be based on historical data they just eliminated the requirement. I seriously doubt they made a change to this engine just for that reason.

Thank you bronsin for the info. I agree this engine is pretty much bullet proof and no doubt is why Toyota has carried this particular power train over year after year. A lot of car writers have dissed this engine for years because of its horse power and torque. But really for day to day driving it's more than adaquate from my experience. The huge plus is reliability and longevity. I will trade some hp and torque for reliability and longevity in my daily driver any day.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I'm at ~170,000 kl. and have never checked mine however recently I am hearing some ticking at idle. Will definitely inspect/adjust once it warms up out there.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #13
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

My gasket set came in for the engine I'm building so I'll try and document the procedure for everyone and post a new DIY thread on the check and adjustments. I have one new valve so I'm guessing it'll need a new bucket.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Flammable

Quote:

Below is a link to an article I found about all the different valve types used in motorcycle engines. For "shim under bucket" valves the guy who wrote the article stated that as the miles pile up valves will tighten and it's better to have loose valves than tight valves. A quiet engine is trouble. Perhaps this is one reason why the Yaris engine is so noisy? Bronsin, is the info in this article been your experience with valves in general? Thanks!

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...alve-adjusters
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #15
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
My 1NZ Echo has 253k miles and I'm sure has never had it's valve clearances checked. There is no undue top end noise whatsoever, snappy performance, and still returning top-notch fuel economy. I'm with everybody above who says you can probably dispense with the clearance check.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Below is a link to an article I found about all the different valve types used in motorcycle engines. For "shim under bucket" valves the guy who wrote the article stated that as the miles pile up valves will tighten and it's better to have loose valves than tight valves. A quiet engine is trouble. Perhaps this is one reason why the Yaris engine is so noisy? Bronsin, is the info in this article been your experience with valves in general? Thanks!

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...alve-adjusters
The valves tighten with this design because the heads of the valves wear into the seats. Its a very SLOW process. When you have a high quality eningne such as ours, in effect there is so little wear as to be meaningless. Now...an American or Euro car...not so much!

My Yaris engine and my sons ECHO engine with 200k on it are QUIET. If your engine is noisy have the clearances checked. IF they are loose have them adjusted (murder) and see if the engine is now quiet. Its the only way to know!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
Flammable

Quote:
The valves tighten with this design because the heads of the valves wear into the seats. Its a very SLOW process. When you have a high quality eningne such as ours, in effect there is so little wear as to be meaningless. Now...an American or Euro car...not so much!

My Yaris engine and my sons ECHO engine with 200k on it are QUIET. If your engine is noisy have the clearances checked. IF they are loose have them adjusted (murder) and see if the engine is now quiet. Its the only way to know!
The noise my yaris makes I have been told is from the fuel injectors. The dealership I use said it sounds perfectly normal. This being my first yaris and not knowing about the nuances of this engine I wasn't sure until I asked them. It's not terribly noisy and from I side the car it sounds kind of like a purr. Thanks for all your help Bronsin.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #18
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
The noise my yaris makes I have been told is from the fuel injectors. The dealership I use said it sounds perfectly normal. This being my first yaris and not knowing about the nuances of this engine I wasn't sure until I asked them. It's not terribly noisy and from I side the car it sounds kind of like a purr. Thanks for all your help Bronsin.
The 1NZ-FE does have noisy injectors, but if it increases in noise it could be your clearance. More than likely though I would check your front exhaust gasket, they tend to go every 120,000km or so and a leaking exhaust will cause a tick type noice during acceleration and a bit during idle. I just replaced mine on both my Echo and Yari and they are both much more quiet because of it.

In response to Bronsin's original post:

I checked my clearance at 125,000km on my Yaris, all were within range.

I am pullin the head off of my Echo next month to replace stem seals and clean out sludge. I will be checking the clearance before I pull it off and will replace the valve buckets if needed. The car has 347,000km on it so it will be interesting to see how the clearance is. It is only slightly louder than my Yaris other than the "new" water pump (replaced 1 year ago) that is now chirping on and off
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote