Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
Dmquesnel
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 3 Door
2008 AC install parts list

Hey everyone!
Long time Toyota owner, first time Yaris owner. I just bought a used 2008 hatch back. Needed a commuter that was cheap on gas and it was too good to pass up. 150k and in shockingly good shape. It’s is the base model so it has no features. The one thing I would like is A/C. I know this was a dealer installed option and at one point there was a kit available. I can’t find any information on it though. I would like to find out what the kit included so I can begin sourcing parts. After a bunch of digging, I can’t find what I need, even after chatting with Toyota. If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!
Dmquesnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
You can probably find a installation manual for free here with parts list.
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/
But there might be some difference because the 1,5 was not in the eu market in 2008 only 1,3
Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Do you have U-pulls around you? Might be the best way. Spend a few hours stripping the system out of an older car, bolt it into yours, then address any mechanical or leak issues. You might want to check that your current ECU supports A/C.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Go on another vehicle hunt for a good a/c equipped specimen. Buy it, sell yours. You'll end up with more money in your pocket in the long run. A retrofit would be labourious and expensive, even with junkyard sourced parts.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Go on another vehicle hunt for a good a/c equipped specimen. Buy it, sell yours. You'll end up with more money in your pocket in the long run. A retrofit would be labourious and expensive, even with junkyard sourced parts.
That would be the easiest solution undoubtedly. Most people would opt for this approach. I, on the other hand, would be interested enough to actually go through the process as a learning experience and have the satisfaction of doing it. But, I enjoy doing this stuff and I'm already equipped with the tools to do it. Many wouldn't relish the experience.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That would be the easiest solution undoubtedly. Most people would opt for this approach. I, on the other hand, would be interested enough to actually go through the process as a learning experience and have the satisfaction of doing it. But, I enjoy doing this stuff and I'm already equipped with the tools to do it. Many wouldn't relish the experience.
I agree with the "find one with AC" path, though I do appreciate the sentiment here. ;)

Having gone the other way and removed the AC system from my daily driver, you pretty much have to drop the engine to get the hard lines out of the engine bay. Your engine bay and cabin wire harnesses might not have the wiring for the AC compressor. If the climate control system inside the cabin doesn't have the radiator for the AC, you'll have to dismantle the entire dash board to get to it. That means pulling the A-pillars, steering wheel, steering column, radio/climate control area, speedometer, dash pad, dash bar, passenger air bag, dash wiring harnesses, etc. etc.

It's a LOT of work, even at a junk yard where half the parts have been pulled out already. Most of the wire harness connectors can't be removed without damage, same with the A-pillar clips if you have side-impact curtain airbags. Unless you're in a position to have the car torn apart for an extended period of time and have priced out everything that you need, you're almost certainly better off by just getting a different one. That said, we're always happy to have someone try something crazy and share it with the community!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I agree with the "find one with AC" path, though I do appreciate the sentiment here. ;)

Having gone the other way and removed the AC system from my daily driver, you pretty much have to drop the engine to get the hard lines out of the engine bay. Your engine bay and cabin wire harnesses might not have the wiring for the AC compressor. If the climate control system inside the cabin doesn't have the radiator for the AC, you'll have to dismantle the entire dash board to get to it. That means pulling the A-pillars, steering wheel, steering column, radio/climate control area, speedometer, dash pad, dash bar, passenger air bag, dash wiring harnesses, etc. etc.

It's a LOT of work, even at a junk yard where half the parts have been pulled out already. Most of the wire harness connectors can't be removed without damage, same with the A-pillar clips if you have side-impact curtain airbags. Unless you're in a position to have the car torn apart for an extended period of time and have priced out everything that you need, you're almost certainly better off by just getting a different one. That said, we're always happy to have someone try something crazy and share it with the community!
Agreed, Sam, that it would be a lot of work, with many potential pitfalls, so I will amend my original comment that it might be the easiest route. I seem to recall having to support my engine and remove the upper passenger mount as in the chaos of putting in my 2ZR, I forgot to reinstall one of the A/C pipes. My 'new to me' 07 Yaris does not have A/C either. I mused about doing this installation myself and haven't completely ruled it out. My goal is to become very knowledgeable about the systems in these cars. Most of my projects make zero sense from a practicality standpoint. I do these things for the challenge and satisfaction of doing them.

When I first started to tackle larger jobs on my cars, I was very intimidated. For example, removing the wipers, wiper tray, wiper motor etc seemed frightening. Now it's a quick job and is a staple of easy engine bay maintenance and repairs. I've had my dash board/dash pad off, and yes, it's a lot of parts and fasteners, but once you've done it a few times, it becomes less intimidating. In sum, it would make the most sense to buy a car with A/C already installed. But, I digress (from the thread's original purpose).

Old 12-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
WinifredHobbs
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota yaris 2007
I can hardly imagine myself traveling without AC. Especially when the weather's hot and there's a real steam room in the camper. I tried only once a portable AC when my built-in broke down. I don’t know about the others, but for me, it wasn't very convenient. I mean, the cooling power wasn't enough. Luckily, I managed to make clearwater air conditioning repair. Btw, I'm thinking of changing my air con to a new model as we're going on a trip soon. And I want to be fully prepared to drive without any unexpected surprises, you know. Maybe you got some recommendations?

Last edited by WinifredHobbs; 12-20-2021 at 05:01 AM.
WinifredHobbs is offline   Reply With Quote