Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #55
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Let us know how this gets resolved. I'm still on the edge with this since I know my wife would not be too happy if I did this and made the car worse lol. It's her car, but I drive, so I am modding as things need replacing.
Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy with it if I didn't have this problem.

I will definitely report back once I get it figured out.
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #56
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Was it the bump stops?
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #57
Type-Y

Quote:
Was it the bump stops?
So it’s been a while. The noise is still there - definitely not the bump stops. Been to a couple different mechanics and they checked the install and all seems to be in order (though they said they’ve never heard anything like it).

I went back through the installation instructions for the umpteenth time and I may have found soumething. The install calls for reusing the coil spring insulators and I don’t see the insulator at the top. This is the next thing I’ll be checking.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #58
Type-Y

SOLVED

Finally solved!

Not the insulators.

It turned out to be that the rear dampers were not properly torqued down at the top, causing the metallic clanging sound. Driving it back from the shop was night and day; all the rough patches in the road where I was automatically bracing for a hit, were .... uneventful (hallelujah!), just what I was hoping for from the start. Without having to worry about the bumps, I was able to push it a bit on the way home on some sweeping on/off ramps and some local winding roads (for Queens) & it’s like driving a go cart. Loving this setup.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #59
Type-Y

1 week update:

Still totally quiet, no noise at all. I think I can finally start to give a true impression of this suspension. I have the settings set to 6 down from max firm and while its firm, it doesn't beat you up, so its still relatively comfortable, but turns flat. The overall feel of the car does not say "econo-box" when you're behind the wheel, because everything just feels tighter now; the steering feels better - you feel connected and it just feels like it goes where you point it and it stays composed at all times. The Teins made the car better and a lot more fun to drive.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #60
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Thank you for the updates! Makes the decision a bit easier now.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 PM   #61
Type-Y

Quote:
Thank you for the updates! Makes the decision a bit easier now.
I say go for it, just make sure that the install is done right. I spoke to Tein and they said the Street series are the only models they get calls about because they require the re-use of existing parts and installs not following the directions are usually the culprit. I had 3 guys working on my car at the same time during the original install and apparently one of them was not a superstar The adjustability factor is a big plus; you have a lot of options in dialing in your comfort level.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #62
Type-Y

Its been a while since I've been here. Just wanted to give a quick update that I still have the Yaris and that the Tein suspension is still working perfectly and I have not babied it at all. The car still handles like a go cart and always puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Honestly, sometimes I still wonder why I like this thing so much. In fact, I recently had the chance to "upgrade" to a newer 2011 Mazda 2 with about 47K miles on it (owned by another family member who no longer drives), but I was really torn about letting the Yaris go and decided to keep it. Its more comfortable for me and drives way better in its current configuration than the Mazda, also I fit the Yaris better (I'm not tall at 5'9", but have longer legs, so the Mazda felt a little more cramped by comparison, where the Yaris feels totally comfortable to me with room to spare).

It is time for new tires, as the ones on the car now, which I bought right after purchasing the car are a becoming worn out and now over 6 years old (that flew by fast) and sidewalls are starting to show micro cracking.

Any suggestions on a good tire?
Old 12-30-2022, 05:52 PM   #63
Type-Y

I've recently noticed a knocking sound from the front suspension when going over even the smallest bumps in the road. The noise was not there when rocking the car up and down, so after doing some research I figured it was the sway bar links. My mechanic confirmed the same. However, the stock Yaris links are too big.

I started searching and it appears that Tein does not sell this part separately which is a bummer.

Looking for this part, so any help/advise is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #64
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Y View Post
I've recently noticed a knocking sound from the front suspension when going over even the smallest bumps in the road. The noise was not there when rocking the car up and down, so after doing some research I figured it was the sway bar links. My mechanic confirmed the same. However, the stock Yaris links are too big.

I started searching and it appears that Tein does not sell this part separately which is a bummer.

Looking for this part, so any help/advise is appreciated.
You can buy adjustible sway bar links, I would buy a set of these and adjust them to same exact length as the tiens were. Also do a google search by length of your swar bar. +/= 5mm will still fit just cant be too far off or itl have incorrect angles.

something like these https://www.motionmotorsport.net/pro...y-bar-endlinks

I have the Tien flex Z coil overs so if they ever stuff out i will be in the same boat so if you find a standard link thats the right size post your part number otherwise the adjustibles will do.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:10 AM   #65
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
find a "good" hardware store and you can get the ball ends and rod and make your own for a fraction of the cost...been there done that on a handfull of cars where the new bar made to fit doesnt match up with the OE links and somethings gotta be fabbed

personaly i go for the "open ball"(spherical ends) type vs the "ball-joint" type as you then get a nut/bolt assy and you can collar or machine a bolt to fit your application with perfection..even spacering out should you need a lil clearance ...sometimes finding the rod can be tricky but mcmaster car has it if you cant find it localy

FWIW the balljoint type of rod ends in that link are identical to parts used on some treadmills and ive got a handfull of em LOL
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:49 PM   #66
Type-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
You can buy adjustible sway bar links, I would buy a set of these and adjust them to same exact length as the tiens were. Also do a google search by length of your swar bar. +/= 5mm will still fit just cant be too far off or itl have incorrect angles.

something like these https://www.motionmotorsport.net/pro...y-bar-endlinks

I have the Tien flex Z coil overs so if they ever stuff out i will be in the same boat so if you find a standard link thats the right size post your part number otherwise the adjustibles will do.
Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated. I can't find the specs on what lenghts there are on the motionmotorsports part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
find a "good" hardware store and you can get the ball ends and rod and make your own for a fraction of the cost...been there done that on a handfull of cars where the new bar made to fit doesnt match up with the OE links and somethings gotta be fabbed

personaly i go for the "open ball"(spherical ends) type vs the "ball-joint" type as you then get a nut/bolt assy and you can collar or machine a bolt to fit your application with perfection..even spacering out should you need a lil clearance ...sometimes finding the rod can be tricky but mcmaster car has it if you cant find it localy

FWIW the balljoint type of rod ends in that link are identical to parts used on some treadmills and ive got a handfull of em LOL
LoL, I like the possibility of that budget friendly suggestion

After a bunch of searching, including reaching out to Tein (still waiting for them to get back to me). I found, a Tein adjustable sway bar link on ebay that should fit. My links are 12.5 inches bolt to bolt and this one should fit, since it has an adjustability range from 290-350mm :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19486331105....c101110.m1982

Its kind of pricey, but should fit. I'll probably order this. Just waiting to hear back if these are sold as a pair or if the price is for a single unit, which woudl be F-ing nuts.

I also found it at Vivid Racing for a better price:

https://www.vividracing.com/tein-swa...155247546.html

Last edited by Type-Y; 01-04-2023 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Found additional information
Old 01-13-2023, 07:21 AM   #67
Compeer

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated. I can't find the specs on what lenghts there are on the motionmotorsports part.

LoL, I like the possibility of that budget friendly suggestion

After a bunch of searching, including reaching out to Tein (still waiting for them to get back to me). I found, a Tein adjustable sway bar link on ebay that should fit. My links are 12.5 inches bolt to bolt and this one should fit, since it has an adjustability range from 290-350mm :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19486331105....c101110.m1982

Its kind of pricey, but should fit. I'll probably order this. Just waiting to hear back if these are sold as a pair or if the price is for a single unit, which woudl be F-ing nuts.

I also found it at Vivid Racing for a better price:

https://www.vividracing.com/tein-swa...155247546.html
I will measure the tein links when i pull my adjustible setup back off for my warrant of fitness check in next week or so and will post exact length you need.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #68
Type-Y

I heard back from Tein and they sent me the part number.

SPS23-R5916

They are $26 each.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:13 PM   #69
Compeer

Quote:
I heard back from Tein and they sent me the part number.

SPS23-R5916

They are $26 each.
My original Tein flex z links are marked 913 and are 300mm long, the original links that came with my trd shocks and springs are 360mm. The advance Z must be taller than the Flex z I own.

[IMG]https://i.gyazo.com/1fa121a03cdc24956781d57355e5a038.jpg[/IMG

I made another post to document the Link sizes, if you could measure the links when you get yours as well and post them there that would be awesome.

Last edited by Compeer; 01-13-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #70
Type-Y

Its been a while. Still have the Yaris.

I ended up using the Tein adjustable links:

SPS23-R5916

These worked well, though they were more expensive.