Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #37
iwanttobeamole

Drives: 2000 Yaris 1NZ-FE Supercharged
So ... this happened.

iwanttobeamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #38
iwanttobeamole

Ok so that was a bit cryptic.
I've fixed the links in the build thread now, driven by a seething hatred for photobucket.

Here's the short version
I sold the car in ~2014.
In 2019 I saw it come up for sale but, it had been re-shelled (assume it was crashed?) and it was a bit shabby. While I liked the idea, didn't want the headache.
Turns out a friend of a friend (Genuine GC) bought it, tidied a lot of the shabbyness up. I got talking to him at the time he bought it and gave him the history and the car and offered any help I could assist with, but also mentioned the old... " if you sell it, tell me first"
Well....
His wife's just had baby #2. He emailed me last week and asked if I was interested.. then made me an offer I couldn't refuse..
My circumstances have changed and now I have a bit more space, (but no more time).
So now I have, most of (the important bits) my old car back.
I've just drive down country with it (about 500kms) and aside from the supercharger being slightly skewed so the belt hops over one tooth, it's running very well.

From my memory of 6-7 years ago the power is still good, the seats are still terrible, and I think the new chassis is better than the old one (less rattles etc)
All the important pieces have been swapped to the new shell so that's good!.

I always felt like the project wasn't complete, but my dream car came up (JDM Honda Integra DC5, with a K24/K20 hybrid motor already done) came up. (which I've now supercharged also....) and at the time I didn't have the space, time , or money to deal with a second project car.
Now I have the chance to complete the project and hopefully realise it's full potential.
Here's the list.
  • Full exhaust ( currently most of it are stock at I believe 1.75")
  • Intercooler - The aim is to modify the manifold or build a new one that allows for the charge to be intercooled
  • Sort out VVT-i which seems to be weirdly non-effective. (research required)
  • Fit wideband
  • Tune

Obviously having dredged this post up from the dark ages, I mean to keep it updated, so, I guess, Watch this space.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #39
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The older I get, the smaller the world gets. Great to see that it came back to you, and in good condition!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #40
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
This is great! So happy to see more discussion about forced induction Yari! Yay!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:25 AM   #41
iwanttobeamole

Small update.
Got a boost gauge and mounted it up.
Was able to test drive the car and check the boost levels which seem to be much the same as before, around 0.9bar or just over 13PSI.
Love the response out of a positive displacement supercharger.
Little Video here

Final pillar mount setup. Not all that pretty, but I'm all about function over form.

Catching up with a mate this week and we'll discuss the plan to modify the intake manifold to output and input so I can run it through an intercooler.

Also making plans to finally fix the exhaust which is stock (I believe 1.75") between the (Megan Racing) headers and rear muffler.
I'm thinking we'll go 2.5" all the way through with a nice center resolator, and decent rear muffler.
Will also be fitting up a wideband at the same time for future tuning etc. Not too sure where I'll be mounting all the gauges yet. Maybe in the little center top sunglasses? holder if they fit.

More as it happens.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #42
CrankyOldMan

I ran stock exhaust up until I did the 1.8 swap, then went to 2.25. I think 2.5 may be hard to route as well as overkill. I started with a straight pipe from the first cat to a Dynomax VT muffler (has a flap like our stock one) and added an inline "race bullet" where the stock resonator goes to take out some of the drone. Pretty happy with the result, considering how much engineering goes into an OEM exhaust.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:32 PM   #43
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttobeamole View Post

Also making plans to finally fix the exhaust which is stock (I believe 1.75") between the (Megan Racing) headers and rear muffler.
I'm thinking we'll go 2.5" all the way through with a nice center resolator, and decent rear muffler.
This is basically the same setup I have. Front to back:
3" downpipe with two 02 sensor ports -> 3" x 2.5" reducing coupler -> high flow CAT (with downstream 02 port) -> 18" "cherry bomb" style muffler -> rear turbo (Walker) 2.5" in, 2.5" out muffler -> 2.5" x 4" SS stubby exhaust tip. Mine was all crush bent so probably not as free-flowing as a 2.25" mandrel bent setup. But, it works great and EGTs are good.

Cranky is right. 2.5 was hard to get tucked up in there. If I had more money, I would go for a mandrel bent SS system.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #44
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I have the magnaflow ss 2.25" system from exhaust manifold to muffler in the 2zr swapped car (still need a nice free flowing muffler). Its a nice setup but set me back over 600cad.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #45
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I have the magnaflow ss 2.25" system from exhaust manifold to muffler in the 2zr swapped car (still need a nice free flowing muffler). Its a nice setup but set me back over 600cad.
Yes, I think I mentioned earlier that I almost had one. TDot Performance listed them but they were out of stock. They kept the listing up for a long time after. It is a beautiful looking system. You must be really happy with it. I bet is sounds great too.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #46
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yes, I think I mentioned earlier that I almost had one. TDot Performance listed them but they were out of stock. They kept the listing up for a long time after. It is a beautiful looking system. You must be really happy with it. I bet is sounds great too.
Hard to tell how the sound is. The car is currently running the stock scion xd muffler.

I also cut the fender side out of the oem air box, removed the charcoal filter and obviously the silencer horn as it's useless with the side of the air box missing.

The muffler is the biggest bottleneck in the system. I'll get a nice one installed this spring when the beast comes home from storage. But even with it's current setup, I'm content with the sound.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:23 AM   #47
iwanttobeamole

Well.. I guess that was Covid.
Further updates. Short version.
The pulley came loose for some reason (possibly the nut came loose and flogged out the keyway, possible the keyway came loose, flogged itself out ,and loosened the nut.
Either way what it needed was a new input shaft and pulley.
Located said items at superchargersonline.com (Thanks David) for the intake shaft and rebuild kit (might as well do the bearings while I'm at it) and pulleyboys.com for the pulley.....s.
I figured since I plan to intercool it I might end up loosing some pressure so got a 3.0" and a 2.8" just in case I need to spin it a little faster.
Those arrived today

Also dropped the manifold off to a local outfit to have it vapourblasted to clean it up for welding as it's cast aluminium. (yes I spelt that correctly)

Once the shaft and snout rebuild kit arrive I can re-assemble that.
Meanwhile here's the list
- Get the intake manifold modified to output the charge through the front/bottom,
- Procure and mount intercooler
- Plumb said intercooler to manifold
- Mount new open element air intake temp sensor into the manifold somewhere.
- Rebuild S/C snout and re-assemble.
- re-assemble
- Exhaust
- Tune
- Skids

More soon!

Last edited by iwanttobeamole; 07-01-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #48
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
fwiw, i had the blitz with a DC header and a 2.25" exhaust (back end of resonator to a megan axleback muffler) and was happy. 2.5 wouldve been at bit big, i wager.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #49
iwanttobeamole

The work continues.

More soon
Old 08-01-2020, 04:19 AM   #50
Gorilla

Drives: Vitz & Supra
Welcome back mate! I remember seeing the car up for sale as I always trawl NZ FB Market Place and Trademe! You have to look into getting a C56 from the Vitz RS, there are a few wreckers in NZ that will have them. I put one in mine (LSD From Turbo Model) and its probably my favourite mod. Shorter ratios and LSD.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #51
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
heads up about the Megan axle backs. I had one come in on a Yaris hatchie years ago and inside the muffler core was 1.5-1.75" tops. Keeps it quiet but sure as shit not much of an improvement in flow.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:27 AM   #52
iwanttobeamole

So..
Supercharger parts arrived (ages ago) and I've gotten the blower reassembled with the new shaft, bearings, and pulley.

Blocked up the "silencer" holes with some aluminium wedges and welded those in, then some 2 part epoxy (loctite stuff, but same same as J weld) Should make good noises now.

Finished and fitted up the modified intake manifold

Bought and fitted up a "same side" intercooler.

And plumbed it.

Slapped it all back together and cut a dirty great hole in the front bumper (don't judge me)

As there are no gaskets for this setup I've used RTV which is drying now. Should be good for a test run tomorrow.
*excite*
Old 09-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #53
iwanttobeamole

Aaaaand now it sounds like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7g1UYw7D9U
Note: Lots of belt slip due to the accessory belt being a bit loose.

Evidently those silencer holes I blocked up REALLY make it a lot quieter.

Now.. the main motivation for this build is definitely the lols but.. this was a bit much.
Turns out a noisy supercharger at low revs with no bypass or silencer slots/holes sounds like every gearbox bearing is about to have a critical failure. This meant that literally everyone I drove passed looked at me with that "that car is about to explode" look. While I don't care about.. well.. people. I tended to agree with them in this instance.
Another issue I experienced was that, because of the increase in the volume between the supercharger and engine, and the lack of bypass valve, coming off throttle was less responsive than desired and resulting in... throttle hang? EG: if you come off throttle and onto the clutch to change gears, you'd get an unwanted rev blip while the existing volume of already compressed air in the intercooler, plumbing and manifold was used up by the engine.

So.... I busted out the old parts from the previous iterations of this car (which I have kept .. because. . you know, they might be useful) and have now reinstalled the bypass valve which bypasses the supercharger (actually it just equalises the pressure) while in vacuum, and closes off once the blower makes positive pressure. Pretty normal supercharger stuff.

So this of course required some highly accurate measurements then a trip to a friends place for some tig goodness.

Then.. a quick bit of fabrication and..

I hoped that the installation of the bypass valve would resolve this issue, and.. I WAS RIGHT! With the bypass in place the car now drives like it did before, but now the intercooler is in place I expect a lower intake temp and therefore the hope to be able to advance timing and make a bit more power.

Interestingly the boost level at the manifold has dropped from about 13psi to about 9. I haven't found a chart to back it up, but I think at least some of this is from the drop in temperature. HOWEVER, I've noticed a couple of things. Firstly, the car feels about as fast as it was before, and secondly the belt doesn't seem to slip nearly as much as before. It's hard compare, but I'm 97% sure that before I NEVER had a run to rev limit (7200RPM) without belt slip. Now, even with the tensioner for the supercharger belt maxxed out and the belt not that tight, it holds. The car makes good power all the way to red line, albeit limited noticably at higher revs by the extremely restrictive exhaust. More on that soon though.

The other issues that appeared, somewhat predictably, is that the larger silicon joiners, (the 90 degree and 45 degree ones specifically) tried to turn themselves inside out every time the car was in vacuum. This was not ideal, so I ended up sleeving the joiners with some 2" alloy bends I had laying about. This experience, while painful (many many cuts to my delicate indoor typing fingers) was successful, and the joiners now hold their shape under vacuum.

So.. next on the list.. going to see my chap tomorrow to make a plan for the exhaust. Once that's freed up and the wideband installed, wire in the AIT sensor and head to the tuner for road and dyno tuning.

I have no idea what it'll make. It made 90wkw before with lots of things wrong. I don't want to put any unrealistic figures in my head, but I feel like the intercooler and exhaust should free up a good about of, specially top end power.

More to come so stay tuned (assuming anyone is still tuned?)
Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #54
CrankyOldMan

Definitely staying tuned!

Tags
1nzfze, jimze, supercharged, supercharger