Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous user View Post
Kaotic, I hope you don't mind, but I didn't wanna start my own thread.
I just hit a 72.25MPG tank driving 75%hwy/25%city. I have no scan-gauge, just soem advice taken from this site and gassavers.
Some prick in a truck was even yelling and swearing at me saying why do i drive so slow, and was tailgaiting me. I got frustrated, and floored it. We had words at the traffic light. I just can't keep my cool sometimes.
Hello anonymous user,

While you certainly had a 72.25 MPG segment your fill up was only 1.557 gallons after 112.5 miles. In the world of logging and record keeping only a half tank or more constitutes a tank. In our car this means a fill of at least 5.55 gallons.

Still, that was a great segment! Keep up the good work.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaerinRhoe View Post
That's awesome :) and congratz. I'm slowly creeping up into the 40's with my mpg by just changing little things. I'm not the first person to say it but I've come to believe that the biggest change you can make to get better mpg is to adjust the nut behind the wheel.

Keep up the good work and hope you keep getting those 50's.

S.R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Nice work.

Gene
Quote:
Congrats, Kaotic!
Thanks!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #21
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Is 52.6 what the SGII is telling you, or is it based on refilling your tank and actually calculating fuel consumption?
Nope, it was just the average of that particular trip. My tank for that time was 41.xx mpg. With just that short trip, it bumped it up that much from my average 39-40 mpg
Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I'm glad you had a good time, Lazandro (Kaotic), and you were a fast learner. Keep practicing both the techniques and anticipatory driving/situational awareness, calm down (e.g. stop that throttle bobble when shifting at low RPM! ), and I'm sure you'll punch out a 50+ tank before the end of the Summer.

A funny story from yesterday: I took Lazandro out for a short drive to show him my driving style and as we returned to a large and busy parking lot (the ARCO Plaza in Sacramento) I coasted with my engine off for the last few hundred meters, as is my custom. His jaw was dropped the whole time and as we rolled into a parking place after making a few turns he let out a little gasp of surprise and satisfaction.
Quote:
Addendum: Before anyone freaks out on the "drafting" it was a 2-2.5 second follow behind a semi truck northbound on the I-5 at 53-54 MPH in light traffic. That is a larger gap than most folks would give any other vehicle in heavy traffic conditions. This kind of situation is uncommon as trucks rarely move that slowly but when I can find one I take advantage of it.
Thanks Brian. You're a great teacher. hahaha, I'm working on that throttle bobble problem I have. hahahaha. Just gotta beat it into my head that my car is not going to stall. Yeah, that coasting into a parking spot was a trip

Yeah, drafting wasn't that bad. I see people drafting closer than I did. Oddly enough, some of the trucks I see drive faster than I do, so I can't even draft them
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #23
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
Nice going with the 52.6 MPG using the Scanguage. Are you now going to purchase one? IMO they do make a big difference in your driving. My last tank of gas was 52.7 MPG. I love the warmer weather!
I'd like to purchase one, but $160 is just money that I do not have at the moment. May be next semester (crosses fingers), I'll get some grants. I'm still waiting on that one Brickfish scholarship to be judged. Definitely getting a SGII if I win that since it was my car that placed me into judging in the first place. Then the rest will go towards books
Old 05-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Kaotic, I hope you don't mind, but I didn't wanna start my own thread.
I just hit a 72.25MPG tank driving 75%hwy/25%city. I have no scan-gauge, just soem advice taken from this site and gassavers.
Some prick in a truck was even yelling and swearing at me saying why do i drive so slow, and was tailgaiting me. I got frustrated, and floored it. We had words at the traffic light. I just can't keep my cool sometimes.
Good job!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 AM   #25
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Hello anonymous user,

While you certainly had a 72.25 MPG segment your fill up was only 1.557 gallons after 112.5 miles. In the world of logging and record keeping only a half tank or more constitutes a tank. In our car this means a fill of at least 5.55 gallons.

Still, that was a great segment! Keep up the good work.
Yeah, i kinda figured atleast 1/2 a tank would count as a "tank", but i was really excited to see what i got, so i filled up one bar gone.
Thanks for the support, i wish i had someone locally here that could do a ride-along and give me more tips. (hint,hint)

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #26
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
One of my coworkers just had to tease me about modding the Yaris to
try and make it a little more aerodynamic.
Smooth hubcaps, tiny antenna, and partial upper grille block.

Hey, its a good hobby...
And I have been hitting 45 Mpg averages on the way to work lately.

But he did slip up and tell me about riding his motorcycle down the state 2 lane highway
to avoid the freeway merge and related city traffic.
Well, I tried it on the way home Friday and it does take an extra
10-15 minutes, but

52.5 Mpg! and beats my all time record for any trip.

I'm not sure the indecisive drivers in the larger towns are worth the
trouble to take that route every night, but it's good to know I have
more capacity to set some higher trip records.

Not only does my modded Yaris beat his motorcycle mileage on that
route, it even carries my mountain bike while doing it.

Love that little car...
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Wow, 52.5 for the tank! Sweet! I'd take that route over the 45mpg route any day.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #28
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Just a quick question: I just drove 25 miles today after a great effort yesterday,and the first bar de-illuminated already. Was that a result of filling up too soon? I can't figure out why else that would happen?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Just a quick question: I just drove 25 miles today after a great effort yesterday,and the first bar de-illuminated already. Was that a result of filling up too soon? I can't figure out why else that would happen?
The fuel bars are about as accurate as a magic 8 ball.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Something similar happened to me after I filled up after the first bar went off. Now sure why it does this.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM   #31
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
The explanation is most likely that you did not fill the tank to the same level each time. The first time, you probably "under-filled" by a little, and that made your calculation fictitiously high. This would also explain why the bar disappeared so quickly this time. OK, the second fill-up was to a higher level than the first one, and that makes it look like you were getting fewer miles per gallon on the second tank.

It is impossible to fill the tank to EXACTLY the same level each time, and that is one of the reasons why gas mileage cannot be accurately determined on just one tank of gas. You need to average several consecutive tanks to get a true picture.

Tomster
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #32
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
The explanation is most likely that you did not fill the tank to the same level each time. The first time, you probably "under-filled" by a little, and that made your calculation fictitiously high. This would also explain why the bar disappeared so quickly this time. OK, the second fill-up was to a higher level than the first one, and that makes it look like you were getting fewer miles per gallon on the second tank.

It is impossible to fill the tank to EXACTLY the same level each time, and that is one of the reasons why gas mileage cannot be accurately determined on just one tank of gas. You need to average several consecutive tanks to get a true picture.

Tomster
Yeah, the full tank reader gets all funky if you try topping off after only one bar has passed.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #33
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
trying out "hang time" rather than just backing off the throttle by a lot. dfco doesn't work well for me because my auto's gearing is crap for dfco-coasting in 3rd (can't do it in overdrive/4th successfully for some reason). so can't wait to see this tank (no scangauge to see impg and trip mpg yet). i know it's highly unscientific, but i've already noticed less of a drop in the gauge alone.

'03 2az camry btw. not yaris.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #34
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Kaotic and Bailout,
I don't know if you're following this weird tank I'm having, but i hit 75 miles, and the second bar went out on my gas gauge. I've never seen it that low.
I'll be sure to never fill up early again, i might get these weird results that will skew my data.

*Edit, just read your post and yarisownersdad's post as well*

Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Yeah, run this tank to about half life, then top off. Did you use the same brand on this tank as you always do, or did you go with a cheap-o brand?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #36
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yeah, run this tank to about half life, then top off. Did you use the same brand on this tank as you always do, or did you go with a cheap-o brand?
Same brand, different location, and according to a few people on here, i decided to try my 1st midgrade (89 octane) fillup. So it's a mix of 1.5G of 89 and the rest, say 10 gal. or so of 87 oct.
I'll keep this thread updated. I definitely want to get this gas out of this tank, but i don't drive often enough.