Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Tuning Options

I'm looking to try and get the most out of the mods on my Yaris (keep in mind it's my DD) and I've been trying to find out info on tuning it. Now I know the obvious, that Toyota ECU's are virtualy untunable.

This leads me to go to something like a piggyback ECU. I have no experience with these things but I'm interested as it seems to make more sense to spend some money on something like this than over priced bolt on options that make minimal increases due to a lack of specific tuning. I've gotten to a point where I'm happy with my engine mods but if a piggy back is possible then it would make sense to do that.

I've read reviews stating that they're useless and a scam or a waste of money. However, all the boosted guys seem to be running them to tune their turbo's with and they seem to work ok.

My question is: with my NA engine, is there a piggyback ECU I could run and get tuned so that I can maximize my mods? If so, will this make me fail my e-test (they only hook up to the OBD port and check for CEL's. If none are present and the ECU has ran through everything than I pass. Will the piggyback ECU lead to engine reliability issues where I have to constantly be re mapping it (not an option for me as I need the car to drive every weekday).

I know a lot of you boosted guys on here know a lot about this stuff so I figured you all can enlighten me