Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
advocate

Drives: car
Sticky First Gear

Has anyone else noticed that if they drive the manual LB really hard in first gear then try and mash the clutch and then yank the stick out to shift into second that the gears will sometimes cling a little bit?

It feels like trying to shift into a gear without the clutch fully engaged because there's a bit of grinding. Not a whole lot but it's definitely noticeable.

Being as I know next to nothing about cars I was just wondering what you would consider changing to make quick shifting smoother at really high RPMs to keep the gears from partially grinding like that when going from 1st to 2nd.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
learn to drive stick properly
Wow. That was incredibly insightful and helpful. Thank you.

I'm going fast in 1st. I put the clutch to the floor. I try to pull the stick out of 1st gear and the gears catch a little bit.

If any part of this process is me not driving stick properly then feel free to let me know.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
advocate

Quote:
make sure you don't let off the gas too abruptly that way the revs wont drop that fast.
So if I'm trying to drive my car fast I'm just supposed to slam the gas and get up to 25 in first and then slowly let the gas off and just sit there while I drop back down to 18 before going into second? That completely defeats the purpose of driving the car up to each gear's rev limit before shifting, which, i'm pretty sure, is how you drive a car as fast as possible in the first place. Is it not?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
advocate

Quote:
no....

you suppose to feel the car, you accelerate up to the point where you cant feel the car pulling anymore and then shift. as soon as you feel you are maxing out but not bouncing off the limiter start clutching, release gas make the shift and reapply gas.
That's exactly what I'm doing. But what I'm trying to say is that sometimes 1st gear just doesn't want to let go sometimes. If you insist that this is a driver problem and not something that could be fixed with something like a better clutch then I will accept your opinion on the matter.

However, it would be nice to see what other people think the problem might be.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
how many miles on the car? when does this happen? car hot? cold? beginning of when you try? later on?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
how many miles on the car? when does this happen? car hot? cold? beginning of when you try? later on?
27,000. It happens after very hard acceleration in 1st when shifting to 2nd. It doesn't happen in any other gear. Car is relatively hot from outside temp but not operation. After it happens I usually don't try to push 1st again. It's happened 2 or 3 times now total over a year or so. I've always assumed that the car just couldn't handle it with stock equipment.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
advocate

Quote:
are you sure you're not pulling it to the side (i.e diagonally) a bit. i would suggest you practice a bit more without riding the clutch (not saying you are but avoid it)
I never ride the clutch. Pulling it diagonally might be part of it. I don't remember pulling it diagonally and I'm certainly not trying to.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
27,000. It happens after very hard acceleration in 1st when shifting to 2nd. It doesn't happen in any other gear. Car is relatively hot from outside temp but not operation. After it happens I usually don't try to push 1st again. It's happened 2 or 3 times now total over a year or so. I've always assumed that the car just couldn't handle it with stock equipment.
couple things to try... replace the trans fluid, then check and make sure that your clutch line is not flexing out... speaking of which, hey garm, is there a braided clutch line available?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
I never ride the clutch. Pulling it diagonally might be part of it. I don't remember pulling it diagonally and I'm certainly not trying to.
When you shift from first to second,pull the shifter back towards you,also,no need to push clutch all the way to the floor,push it just enough to disengage the clutch,then shift.
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I buzzed 2nd gear when I first got my car. I have owned 5 cars with MT's and never had this problem before. I'm 6'1" and heavier set and I have to put the seat all the way back to fit comfortably in the Yaris. Sitting that far back made me think I wasn't pushing the clutch in all the way so I moved my seat up on notch and have never buzzed 2nd gear again.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlonewolf View Post
When you shift from first to second,pull the shifter back towards you,also,no need to push clutch all the way to the floor,push it just enough to disengage the clutch,then shift.
just push it to the floor. safer that way.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
just push it to the floor. safer that way.
why is it safer that way?
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlonewolf View Post
why is it safer that way?
To make sure the clutch is as fully engaged as possible I would assume.

It's funny I'm 6'1 as well but sit close as well so that I can mash the clutch easily.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
maybe it could be a problem with running 1st gear to the rev limiter. i'm no mechanic by far but it seems like when you shift a little earlier it's significantly easier to pull it into 2nd. try taking it to like 22mph instead and sifting there... also your car might not want to kill you as much when you're done driving it like that
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i hate first gear in this car, haha. it's tricky some times, especially when downshifting, it just won't go to first sometimes, and I'm stuck rolling at like 10 mph, end up going to 2nd and riding the clutch to get back up to speed. but that's not a very common circumstance.
starting in first is ok, but it's geared improperly I think, way too low-- just my opinion tho(on hilly terrain i bet this really helps), and makes second gear more of a patience thing sometimes. it really depends on how your driving and shifting-- maybe try different timing and clutching(if that's a word haha).
every once in a while i scratch on going to third gear, go figure.
IMO this car could use a slight regearing and definitely a 6th topend, but hey this is an eco box from start to finish ;d
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
you think the yaris gears are too short?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryota View Post
maybe it could be a problem with running 1st gear to the rev limiter. i'm no mechanic by far but it seems like when you shift a little earlier it's significantly easier to pull it into 2nd. try taking it to like 22mph instead and sifting there... also your car might not want to kill you as much when you're done driving it like that
Yeah I mean it's obvious the Yaris is not a performance machine... at least not stock

I originally posted here to see what one would replace in the car in order to facilitate shifting under extreme circumstances
Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the transmission.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote