Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #19
Desircustoms

Drives: 06 Yaris RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yeah, the F/IC is probably really a bandaid solution. My friend in Oregon installed the kit with the F/IC in his Corolla. He swears by it. Says that it works flawlessly. I'm going to talk with ECUMaster again this week and maybe my tuner too.

If decent AFRs are the only safety net needed, then I'm ok in that respect, I guess. I added my water injection as a safety measure. I really want to remove the car's ECU from fueling inputs. Standalone looks like the way to go. However, did you see the EcuMaster Det 3? Apparently it can control injectors in batch fire mode. It is a piggyback, but if it could take complete control of fueling, it might be a cheaper option that the Black or Classic. Would have to do some more research there.
Haven't looked into the det3. I'd buy the black before the classic since you can do much more for a bit more money. I've looked at my aemlogs inj% and the fic seems to be doing it's job. Adding more fuel on the TPS map really helped. Will post screenshots later on.
Desircustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desircustoms View Post
Haven't looked into the det3. I'd buy the black before the classic since you can do much more for a bit more money. I've looked at my aemlogs inj% and the fic seems to be doing it's job. Adding more fuel on the TPS map really helped. Will post screenshots later on.
Tell me more about this TPS map. I don't have one in my tune. I have a fuel map, but no TPS map. Intriguing.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #21
Desircustoms

Quote:
Tell me more about this TPS map. I don't have one in my tune. I have a fuel map, but no TPS map. Intriguing.
TPS or maf/fuel map, depending on the load input you choose in the system options. Click the little graph icon on the top right corner of the fuel map "mouse cursor is on it" , to see the maf-TPS/fuel graph...

The fic seems to be in control even in closed loop, actually too rich for my liking, was seeing 13afr around 3k rpm 120km/h on the highway, will record with techstream later on...

I'm still experiencing hiccups sometimes, mostly on hard pulls, right after shifting, getting into 2nd or 3rd gear. Have to make fuel and maf adjustments on high rpm gear shifts.

Waiting for my wideband, the fic is great after all.

Btw I had a crankshaft position sensor code at 1st with z007 firmware, flashed it to z0100 and works great, only codes I've seen since are; maf performance and sensor1 bank 1 too rich...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200721_123617.jpg (155.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 07-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #22
06YarisRS

I'm really glad you're making progress with the F/IC. Maybe when you're done tuning, I can try your map for fun to see how it works in my car. Have you done anything with your 02 map?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #23
Desircustoms

Quote:
I'm really glad you're making progress with the F/IC. Maybe when you're done tuning, I can try your map for fun to see how it works in my car. Have you done anything with your 02 map?

Haven't made the o2 map yet, have to install the wideband. Need to take everything out to weld the o2 bung, should have done it before.

I'm still having issues with the maf map, I don't have any maf voltage/rpm data so I'm just guessing here...
Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #24
06YarisRS

Hey Jeff. How are things? Any developments on your build? I haven't done much to my car lately other than taking it out into the driveway for warmups. I picked up a double flare tool and tube bender. Thinking about converting my transmission cooler hoses to steel.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #25
Desircustoms

Quote:
Hey Jeff. How are things? Any developments on your build? I haven't done much to my car lately other than taking it out into the driveway for warmups. I picked up a double flare tool and tube bender. Thinking about converting my transmission cooler hoses to steel.
I haven't drove it all winter, drove the car last week to a mechanic closeby for a vacuum test, he said no leak, and he couldn't find anything wrong within the setup, fuel pressure or anything else except for an open circuit camshaft sensor, and other minor codes...

He concluded that my turbo is most likely the culprit.
I think he's right, the turbo probably got damaged whenever my oil return tubing unplugged from the block and I drove it slowly less than a km with almost no oil since I was close to home.

Just took the turbo out yesterday and there's a loose ring, will swap it out later on today.

And I'll look into the camshaft sensor, I'll either add a 2.2k resistor or unplug it from the fic.

20210620_141334.jpg
Old 07-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
Desircustoms

Update

I swapped the turbo cartridge and it was still not boosting, and it looks like the loose ring is normal as I inspected 2 other 13t cartridges and both have the gap shown in the previous post.

Finally today it occurred to me to have a look at my maf map and saw that it was all zeros, I uploaded a file I haven't ran since last August and BAM, finally have boost again!
I felt really stupid, but I guess that's part of learning, this project was getting me very frustrated....

I have the 2.2k resistor between the crank wires and disconnected the cam from the fic like 06YarisRS suggested, running z107 firmware and so far everything seems ok.

At least now I have something to play with this summer... Back to fiddling with the fic maps...
Old 07-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #27
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Funny how the little things will trip you up, eh? Glad to hear that you're making progress!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #28
06YarisRS

Yes! Great to hear that you're making progress! We're in the process of moving, then some renos. Hope to have part of the summer to enjoy my car. When time permits, it would be great to compare tunes and see if we can learn a bit more about how to fine tune the F/IC.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #29
Desircustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Funny how the little things will trip you up, eh? Glad to hear that you're making progress!
I know, I was almost ready to give up the project, lol...
I was blinded by anger, I almost took everything apart.

Quote:
Yes! Great to hear that you're making progress! We're in the process of moving, then some renos. Hope to have part of the summer to enjoy my car. When time permits, it would be great to compare tunes and see if we can learn a bit more about how to fine tune the F/IC.
Sounds good, I've been playing around with the maf and fuel maps, I'll need to spend more time tuning, I might hit the dragstripe soon and take logs of a few pulls. I'll post some pics.
Have fun with your new property!
Old 10-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #30
Desircustoms

Some pictures

Here's a few pictures.
Have been busy and didn't do much with the project. I still have a few parts to install; oil cooler, lightweight crank pulley, short shifter adapter/cable plate, and maybe an egt gauge.

I've been daily driving it, with zero issues, ive never seen more than 5-6psi so far. I didn't play with my tune all summer, I might try fiddling with it soon.
I've bought another yaris so I'm currently looking for another fic 6 or just an harness so I can get stock maf logs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211010_074355.jpg (228.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20210918_224049.jpg (158.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20210918_223857.jpg (189.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #31
06YarisRS

Looks awesome, Jeff! I have the same Prosport boost gauge. I have been driving my car almost daily and other than the long cranking in warm weather, the driving is near perfect. I think my stock ECU has adjusted out the fuel tables and I get no bucking or hesitation with any throttle position, load or rpm. Transition to boost used to be an issue, and then I would adjust the fuel table or O2 table and the hesitation would just move to a different area of the. Now it's smooth as silk. Not touching anything, making any tweaks for a period of time and it's never worked better. I get a nice rich AFR under moderate to full pedal and partial boost is in the high 12s with my w/m injection, so safe IMO. Have you tried tightening your wastegate? I was stuck at around 5 psi for a long time, until I tightened up the actuator arm. I did it twice. The first time, IIRC, I went from 5 psi to around 6.5; the second adjustment netted around 7.5 to 8 psi. Good luck with your future adjustments. I look forward to hearing about them! How do you like your aftermarket head unit? What OS is it? I doesn't look like Android.

Old 10-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #32
Desircustoms

Quote:
Looks awesome, Jeff! I have the same Prosport boost gauge. I have been driving my car almost daily and other than the long cranking in warm weather, the driving is near perfect. I think my stock ECU has adjusted out the fuel tables and I get no bucking or hesitation with any throttle position, load or rpm. Transition to boost used to be an issue, and then I would adjust the fuel table or O2 table and the hesitation would just move to a different area of the. Now it's smooth as silk. Not touching anything, making any tweaks for a period of time and it's never worked better. I get a nice rich AFR under moderate to full pedal and partial boost is in the high 12s with my w/m injection, so safe IMO. Have you tried tightening your wastegate? I was stuck at around 5 psi for a long time, until I tightened up the actuator arm. I did it twice. The first time, IIRC, I went from 5 psi to around 6.5; the second adjustment netted around 7.5 to 8 psi. Good luck with your future adjustments. I look forward to hearing about them! How do you like your aftermarket head unit? What OS is it? I doesn't look like Android.

Thanks! I still need to fix the floor and eventually paint it, I'll look into your welding thread for some hands-on information!
Yes I've noticed that the stock ecu seems to have made some adjustments... I've noticed a slight discrepancy between the afr on the gauge and the fic software, it only goes to 13 around 4-5psi, but I think 12.5 on the fic app, will look into it more whenever I start playing with my maf map again... I have an external wastegate and I've tried different springs with no results, I suspect that my maf map is restricting the boost.

The head unit sucks, the touch screen stopped functioning after maybe 8 months, at least it's still paired to my phone, Android 9.0 I think