Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Add another hard drive to a laptop?

Computer nerds! I have a Toshiba Satellite M45 laptop that I would like to add a second hard drive to. It only has one HDD bay, and only one hdd connector. The HDD type is ATA-6. What I am thinking, is that I should be able to solder another ATA-6 connector to the motherboard at the current connector. Is this right/wrong? I know I can solder it via adapter to the motherboard USB, but I would rather have the speed (relative, lol) of the ATA-6. Can I set up two laptop HDDs on the same ATA header as a master/slave combo?

So, basically, what I am saying, is that I am interested in hooking up a hard drive as a slave to my laptop. Does this make sense to anyone? Anyone have any ideas? Better yet, does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas are welcome. I'm a computer tech, and no stranger to outrageous computer mods, so no suggestions are out of the question. Thanks!
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
that would really depend on the firmware in the ata controller on the mb (that might be tough to find out) . if the firmware allows recognition of multiple devices then you should be able to make up a cable. their are 2.5 to 3.5 ata cable adapters out there that you could get that might make it somewhat easier that fabin up a cable or doing damage to your mb without knowing for sure.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
I would rather not get an external drive because I want the higher speed of the ATA, and because I would rather have the second hard drive inside the laptop. There is room for it, it just takes some 'creative' organization. I want to install XP to the second drive so I can dual boot Linux and XP - and I would rather not partition my existing drive (Yes I know I could do it without interrupting my current partition). And lastly I am interested in adding a second drive to the ATA header for the sake of doing it. =)
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
well, it'd be one heck of a crazy project, but in theory doable, look at the desktop IDE cables, they're all on the same wires.

What I suggest though, look in your BIOS or use some system information tool like SANDRA to determine if your CD/DVD drive is set up as a secondary master or primary slave. If it's the slave then it means that IDE header *probably* won't be able to accept the extra drive. Also, I'm trying to remember, but I don't think laptop hard drives have any master/slave jumper, though it is possibly a factory Cable Select setup, who knows

Hats off to you if you do pull it off!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Just get an external usb drive. Save yourself the hassle.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote