Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
edgarinuk

Drives: Toyota Yaris - FR. 2005
AIR BAG SENSOR FOR FRENCH MANUFACTURED VERSION OF 2005 YARIS T3

I have only just discovered my 2005 Yaris T3 is of french manufacture and, as a result I am have a problem sourcing spare parts. In particulalar I am looking for a replacement Air Sensor Unit for the passenger side front door. I do not know a lot about cars but my friend got a computer read out on the car and it read Error B1140 which, I believe, indicates a faulty Air Sensor as described earlier. I made the mistake of buying an air sensor for the same car (but not the French version) off ebay, without first checking the part number. Needless to say it does not fit. So, I have searched the web for a used part - Number - 89835-52010. Lots of hits for Germany, Denmark, etc. but none for UK. My questions:

Does anyone know where, in UK, I can source a part, preferably used. OR Is there a UK compatible parts list for the car OR Do you personally have the part for sale.

Final question for you experts - Does Error B1140 indicate that is the only possible solution for the problem (my airbas sensor on the dash board flashes constantly).

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to provide answers.

Ed
edgarinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
B1140 indicates a malfunction of the right side sensor. It could be the wiring between the SRS ECU and the sensor, but is more likely the sensor itself.

Try cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk. I have found them to be reasonable for some European Yaris parts that I ordered and had shipped to the US.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
edgarinuk

Reply to CTScott, and further question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
B1140 indicates a malfunction of the right side sensor.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Just to clarify what you mean by the right side sensor. The car is used on British roads, where we drive on the left side of the road. The driver side is the right side (nearest the centre of the road), when looking at the vehicle from the back, and the passenger side is on the left (nearest the side of the road). Sorry if this seems as if I am being sarcastic - I am not, but need to be certain before I buy a replacement.

My reason for making certain that we are talking about which side sensor is because I have been told B1140 refers to the passenger side of the car.

Hope this is clear, and, once again, I do very much appreciate your help.

Regards

Ed
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarinuk View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Just to clarify what you mean by the right side sensor. The car is used on British roads, where we drive on the left side of the road. The driver side is the right side (nearest the centre of the road), when looking at the vehicle from the back, and the passenger side is on the left (nearest the side of the road). Sorry if this seems as if I am being sarcastic - I am not, but need to be certain before I buy a replacement.

My reason for making certain that we are talking about which side sensor is because I have been told B1140 refers to the passenger side of the car.

Hope this is clear, and, once again, I do very much appreciate your help.

Regards

Ed

According to the service manual it is the right side (they are described as right and left, as opposed to driver and passenger), which in your case would be the driver's side. Looking at the electronic parts catalog, the LHD and RHD French made Yaris share the same part number for the same side (so, whether RHD or LHD, the right side sensor is 89835-52010).

There is a difference in the sensors as the part number for the left side is: 89865-52010
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
edgarinuk

Thank you so much for your help, so far! I wonder if I could burden you with another problem (a side effect of me removing the left side passenger door panel). The electric window on the passenger side door no longer works (it was working before I started fiddling). The driver side electric window does work. The switches for the passenger side window (one in the passenger side door, the other in the driver side door) do not work. The central door locking system works. I notice in another answer you gave to a similar question, you suggested the diagnosis should start with the switch because there is not a separate fuse for the passenger door electric window (the driver side door is working). Grateful for your views and help.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help, so far! I wonder if I could burden you with another problem (a side effect of me removing the left side passenger door panel). The electric window on the passenger side door no longer works (it was working before I started fiddling). The driver side electric window does work. The switches for the passenger side window (one in the passenger side door, the other in the driver side door) do not work. The central door locking system works. I notice in another answer you gave to a similar question, you suggested the diagnosis should start with the switch because there is not a separate fuse for the passenger door electric window (the driver side door is working). Grateful for your views and help.
For the windows there is a single fuse, so with just the passenger not working and not working from either switch, I would check the connector to the motor to see if it came loose.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
edgarinuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
According to the service manual it is the right side (they are described as right and left, as opposed to driver and passenger), which in your case would be the driver's side. Looking at the electronic parts catalog, the LHD and RHD French made Yaris share the same part number for the same side (so, whether RHD or LHD, the right side sensor is 89835-52010).

There is a difference in the sensors as the part number for the left side is: 89865-52010
Hi,

I have looked at the part numbers of the actual units that are fitted. The right side door sensor is marked 89865-52010 with the letters RH prominent (the opposite of your last sentence above). The left side door sensor is marked 89835-52010.

Would you agree that in accord with B1140 I should be looking for a replacement for 89865-52010?

Thanks for your understanding and patience in this matter.

Ed
Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi,

I have looked at the part numbers of the actual units that are fitted. The right side door sensor is marked 89865-52010 with the letters RH prominent (the opposite of your last sentence above). The left side door sensor is marked 89835-52010.

Would you agree that in accord with B1140 I should be looking for a replacement for 89865-52010?

Thanks for your understanding and patience in this matter.

Ed

You are correct. When I pasted the part numbers above I transposed them.

The EPC lists (for both LHD and RHD 01-05 Yaris):

89865-52010 as Sensor, door side air bag, RH
89835-52010 as Sensor, door side air bag, LH

The easiest way to be absolutely sure is to unplug the RH sensor and then read the DTCs again. If you have the correct sensor unplugged you should still only see B1140. If you have the incorrect one unplugged then you will have a second DTC.