Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Synthetic Oil

my Yaris has 6500-6600 miles on it, and i'm up for my second oil change. my questions are: 1. is it safe to switch to synthetic, and i mean, the real/full syn. like Royal Purple. and 2. is it worth it to use syn. oil in our Yarii?

i'll be changing my oil on Friday, so i'm asking now. heh. TIA.

p.s. if it's not worth it, i'll stick to NAPA oil (10W-40) and NAPA oil filters...but if it's worth it, what oil filter should i get, K&N?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

back to studying for my test tomorrow, i'll check back in a few hours...
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Doesn't Toyota specify 5-30.....not 10-40

I switched to synthetic at 1,600...opinions vary all over the place!
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

i have to look at my receipts. what ever weight the manual says, that's what i bought. my bad...

but yeah, any benefits in using syn. in a Yaris?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
this is one of those neverending questions...
any reader of your thread will give you a different answer; so with that said this is my 2 cents.

if you are just driving the car normally i'll stick with regular oil(whatever the manual says) and use toyota's oil filter and change at 3k miles/3months.

if you plan on doing autox or beat your car then i'll switch to full synt. and depending on how hard you drive the car, change it accordingly.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

just everyday use for me...i never even came close to redlining my Yaris yet.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
sort of like buying Dr Thunder or Dr Pepper at Walmart....both will wet your whistle... both meet all the requirements....don't know if one will kill you quicker than the other!

Personally I buy Dr Thunder, but for Black Betty it's synthetic...she's my gal.
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I switched to synthetic at my 1st oil change (3500 Miles). I used the Mobile One "extended Service" which is supposed to be fully synthetic.

Next oil change, I think I will either use the cheaper Mobile One or go back to regular oil.

I can't get past the thought of changing my oil often so it is just costing me money for the more expensive oil.

I have always changed my oil every 2500 miles. If it went to 3000, that was OK. Kinda depended what the mileage was when the weekend hit.

The oil I have in the car now is supposed to be good for 18000 miles (says so on the bottle ). I have 4000 miles on the oil give or take and I feel the need to change it.

Maybe I need therapy
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
It costs all of $30 for 4 quarts of top-quality synthetic and a filter.

WHY THE HELL NOT? It can only help.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
tds12
This is my other ride.

Drives: Wht, M, Power 2007 yaris HB
Mobile 1

Went to Mobile 1 at 2000 miles. Change the oil every 5000 miles and the filter every 2500. If you change the oil yourself it keeps the cost down. I feel better about stretching the change to 5000 miles when I know there is syn oil in the car.
tds12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
After my engine broke in, and after 3,000 miles I changed the oil using Mobile1 full-synthetic 5W30, with the EP type (Extended Performance). This oil is rated for 15,000 miles, but I'll change it again at 10,000 miles.

When running full synthetic, and especially the EP type, no need to change before 10,000 miles, and to do so is just wasting time and money.

Just because one never redlines the Yaris, or drives it hard is no reason to think Synthetic will not give great benefits.

The benefits of running full synthetic EP are:

(1) Less Frequent oil changes.
(2) Better engine protection.
(3) Longer engine life.
(4) Saves money.
(5) Better gas milage.

These days the changing every 3,000 is no longer applicable, and to change the oil before 5,000 or 7,500 miles is foolish and a waste of money, giving a false sense of security.

Another mistake people make is to judge the effectiveness of their oil by the color...this is very misleading and will lead to too frequent changes, and a waste of money. So get past the dark color of your oil, and trust it to last 7,500, or 10,000 miles.

For me, I change the oil filter and oil every 10,000 miles but I use Mobile1 Full Synthetic EP (Extended Performance) which is good for 15,000 (so it says on the label).

Of course if one drives in very demanding situations, then one needs to change the oil more frequently, so your situation must come into the equation. I will add that if one's Yaris is not garaged at night, water condensation can show up in the crank case, making the oil vulnerable to "geling" or sledge, so if your car is not garaged at night, then this might necessitate more frequent oil changes.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
I switched to synthetic at my 1st oil change (3500 Miles). I used the Mobile One "extended Service" which is supposed to be fully synthetic.

Next oil change, I think I will either use the cheaper Mobile One or go back to regular oil.

I can't get past the thought of changing my oil often so it is just costing me money for the more expensive oil.

I have always changed my oil every 2500 miles. If it went to 3000, that was OK. Kinda depended what the mileage was when the weekend hit.

The oil I have in the car now is supposed to be good for 18000 miles (says so on the bottle ). I have 4000 miles on the oil give or take and I feel the need to change it.

Maybe I need therapy
yeah, i'm like that too. i feel the need to change my oil when 3000 hits.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
It costs all of $30 for 4 quarts of top-quality synthetic and a filter.

WHY THE HELL NOT? It can only help.
yeah, i was thinking that too...spend a little more now, and save a lot later? right?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds12 View Post
Went to Mobile 1 at 2000 miles. Change the oil every 5000 miles and the filter every 2500. If you change the oil yourself it keeps the cost down. I feel better about stretching the change to 5000 miles when I know there is syn oil in the car.
ok, my question is, when you change the filter, but not the oil, do you have to drain out the oil from the pan first? i'm thinking no since the filter is higher than the pan, and should only have a little oil in it, right? i've always changed my filters with the oil, that's why i'm asking.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
After my engine broke in, and after 3,000 miles I changed the oil using Mobile1 full-synthetic 5W30, with the EP type (Extended Performance). This oil is rated for 15,000 miles, but I'll change it again at 10,000 miles.

When running full synthetic, and especially the EP type, no need to change before 10,000 miles, and to do so is just wasting time and money.

Just because one never redlines the Yaris, or drives it hard is no reason to think Synthetic will not give great benefits.

The benefits of running full synthetic EP are:

(1) Less Frequent oil changes.
(2) Better engine protection.
(3) Longer engine life.
(4) Saves money.
(5) Better gas milage.

These days the changing every 3,000 is no longer applicable, and to change the oil before 5,000 or 7,500 miles is foolish and a waste of money, giving a false sense of security.

Another mistake people make is to judge the effectiveness of their oil by the color...this is very misleading and will lead to too frequent changes, and a waste of money. So get past the dark color of your oil, and trust it to last 7,500, or 10,000 miles.

For me, I change the oil filter and oil every 10,000 miles but I use Mobile1 Full Synthetic EP (Extended Performance) which is good for 15,000 (so it says on the label).

Of course if one drives in very demanding situations, then one needs to change the oil more frequently, so your situation must come into the equation. I will add that if one's Yaris is not garaged at night, water condensation can show up in the crank case, making the oil vulnerable to "geling" or sledge, so if your car is not garaged at night, then this might necessitate more frequent oil changes.
yeah, i thought/heard that synthetic oil adds mpg. oh, and my Yaris will soon be back in the garage after i hack away at a couple of couches and mattresses that's taking up space in my garage!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
ok, my question is, when you change the filter, but not the oil, do you have to drain out the oil from the pan first? i'm thinking no since the filter is higher than the pan, and should only have a little oil in it, right? i've always changed my filters with the oil, that's why i'm asking.
Don't do this....it will give you NO benefit, and is a hassle....just change the filter only during oil changes....save your $$$.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #17
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Im like most and cant get over the fact that you shouldnt have to change the oil for 10,000 miles..............the dealer recommends 5,000 miles and even that is iffy to me..... I dont drive my car super hard but I drive it enough that I change the oil at 2500 miles and then let the dealer do it at 5,000 miles(covered under my maintenance package).....every 2500 I just change the oil and not the filter, 2.00 a quart for oil, 3 or 4 bottles (cant remember)...totally worth it in my mind..........

whoever said this is a never-ending debate is right. Some people just need the peace of mind knowing its changed everything 3,000 miles..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Don't do this....it will give you NO benefit, and is a hassle....just change the filter only during oil changes....save your $$$.
isn't it bad to keep your filter for that long? (if it's synthetic)