Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
taracor

Drives: 2009 5 Dr. Hatch
Forced Induction and Engine Wear

I've been wondering if adding an aftermarket supercharger or turbo charger will have any detrimental effects on the engine. I know that it puts more stress on the engine, but will this decrease the engine's lifespan? Also, is there anything in terms of tuning that can be done to a boosted engine too increase/preserve longevity? I don't know much at all about forced induction, so I figured I'd ask and try to learn something.
taracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
rule of thumb: any modification you make for more power has a good chance of reducing longevity to some extent. That's the name of the game, if you don't like it, drive stock

That being said, with proper professional tuning and without aiming for crazy boost levels or driving with the pedal to the metal all the time, you can probably have an engine that will last years. I don't know enough to give you a more specific answer, but that's the general idea

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
^Haha. I like your style!!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I know that it puts more stress on the engine, but will this decrease the engine's lifespan?
This question sort of answer itself, I think.
Quote:
Also, is there anything in terms of tuning that can be done to a boosted engine too increase/preserve longevity?
yes
- minimize detonation with good tuning, good gas, proper spark plugs, etc.
- diligent maintenance + high quality fluids, gauges to hopefully catch a problem early and minimize it, etc.
- I'm sure others can come up with more. It's a good topic.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
^^ A fully built engine doesn't hurt either, eh Garm?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

well yeah, there is that too. I didn't get the impression the OP wanted to go that deep, but maybe!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
If you aren't a mechanic or don't have experience with forced induction, the best things you can do to increase engine longevity are the following:

Surround yourself with knowledgeable people
Listen

Its the little things that can spell the difference between a blown motor or turbo and a stable system. Turbo timers, boost controllers, etc. all are totally optional, but they all contribute to the longevity of a system, and any tuner worth their weight in salt will be able to tell you which you need. If you can't afford any downtime or if you're just trying to "do it right," most will tell you all of the above.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
^^^^ LOL PING PING KABOOM!!!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Yes. In that order. 'cause you are definitely not laughing AFTER "ping ping kaboom".
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Sounds like my immediate future if I don't get on the ball. -gulp-

It would be a fantastic excuse to swap a 2ZZ though.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
A small thing to keep in mind. FI will increase blow-by. This leads to break down in the oil sooner. Change oil early to prevent increased wear.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
taracor

So if forced induction does increase engine wear, how do companies include OEM turbo/superchargers and still have an incredibly reliable engines? Or is the engine built differently?

Also, if that's the case, how would one go about upgrading the engine components on a Yaris to be able to comfortably withstand being boosted? (Or was that what was mentioned about Garm doing?)
Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Companies design motors to handle some boost. They design the tolerances of those motors to safely handle the power.

You'd want at least rods and possibly pistons to guarantee a long life. Plus very good management to make sure your air/fuel is where it is supposed to be. However, pulling the motor and building if for a turbo is a really big project just for that goal.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Garm, every how much km do you suggest to replace the engine oil, keeping in consideration a rebuilt engine like yours?
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

After the initial break-in, I've been changing my tC oil every 3000 miles for normal driving, or after a few race days, or when it looks dirty, whichever comes first. I'm sure people do maintenance on differing schedules though. I know some more hardcore racers that do it after every race weekend.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
oem boosted engines are built more solid and come with lower compression then n/a cars do. and also alot of research and development went into designing the motor and plus to they have alot of years behind them doing this and i mean alot. but upgrade the rods and pistons and change oil earlier then you normally would and run necessary gauges to monitor and dont beat the crap out it everyday and it will be reliable if tuned ight of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by taracor View Post
So if forced induction does increase engine wear, how do companies include OEM turbo/superchargers and still have an incredibly reliable engines? Or is the engine built differently?

Also, if that's the case, how would one go about upgrading the engine components on a Yaris to be able to comfortably withstand being boosted? (Or was that what was mentioned about Garm doing?)
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #17
taracor

So even a Blitz Supercharger which boosts to a relatively low PSI would decrease engine life? The reason I ask is I've been reading up about other cars and people safely giving them a relatively low boost without building the engine. Granted, the engines I've read about are a bit more performance oriented than the one in the Yaris (I've been looking at 350z's, S2000's, and Civics) but I figured that the stock engine in the Yaris had a level to which it could be safely boosted too, or is my thinking flawed?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ no it isn't flawed, and the question has been attended to in this thread (and other threads). The engines you are reading about have decreased life too. First you say "safely giving them a relateively low boost" - correct, you can. Then you ask about engine longevity -- different subject.

Maybe this is a more clear way to put it:

1. FORCED INDUCTION POWER MODS WILL DECREASE THE LIFE OF YOUR ENGINE
2. THERE IS NO CHART OF WHAT "DECREASED LIFE" MEANS, PER PSI, OR IN MILES, TO AN INDIVIDUAL ENGINE