Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Looks like I’m getting an F150!

You might remember I saw a new two door F1 50 pick up truck at my local Ford dealer for $26,400 before taxes. It didn’t work out.

But wait! There’s a two door F150 2010 model for sale at a used car place with 50,000 miles on it for $10,900. I looked at it today. It’s been well-maintained. Interior is perfect. Mechanically the ABS light is on and there’s a noise that sounds like a wheel bearing. A Toyota it ain’t! But they say they’re going to fix everything this weekend and if so I will look at the truck Monday and probably buy it.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
bronsin

https://www.theautostorenj.com/newan...gurus_listings
Old 11-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
i never liked the look of a 4 door pickup!

i really like the look of a 2 door pickup!
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
bronsin

Really. And four-door trucks are like $40,000 up
Old 11-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
I have a 2007 F150, regular cab short bed with a 5 speed. I love it.

I like it so much that I store it for winter to keep its immaculate rust free panels and undercarriage away from salt. It's got the slow, but durable as hell 4.2L Essex. Been a great truck though. Its only needed a coil pack and general maintenance.

Those 4.6L 3 valves are good engines, just stay ontop of your oil changes and it'll be a durable truck for you

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:46 AM   #6
bronsin

Saw the truck. It has problems. Needs work on the ABS. Above 30 miles an hour it makes a noise the mechanic at the store calls a wheel bearing. Doesn’t sound like a wheel bearing to me is the noise doesn’t change When cornering.

Otherwise the truck is In like new condition.

This is going to take a while to resolve
Old 11-08-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
bronsin

I’d like to get your thoughts on the situation if you have experience with something like this.

I’m thinking the noise above 30 miles an hour is not a wheel bearing. Wheelbearings make noise when you go around corners. I’m thinking the noise has something to do with the ABS light There must be some ABS hardware which has come loose and is making a noise.

I’ve checked on car gurus and this truck is in very low priced considering the mileage and the condition. If I can resolve the ABS light and the noise I’ll buy it. But I would hate to be rely on a mechanic And pay a mechanic to fix it. I Parkinson’s means I can’t do the work.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
I’d stay away from that truck. There is a reason it is priced low, because it has a problem they can’t resolve.
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
bronsin

I think you are right about the price being low because of the problem. But you should see the condition of the truck it’s in great shape except for the problem.

The problem is an opportunity if you can solve it.

Of course it’s also And opportunity to fail.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
bronsin

You know I just thought of some thing. This truck comes with a 50-50 warranty. You pay half seller pays half for repairs.

It’s in outstanding shape other than the ABS light and the noise over 30 miles an hour

I’ll have to have a talk tomorrow with the owner of the store...

Old 11-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Looks like a nice truck. Simply, buy it if they fix the ABS light and noise. You'll know when you go for your next test drive. It's difficult to disguise noises like you mention, especially of you give it a good run and put it through its paces. The "Buy Here Pay Here" purchase disclaimer seems strange to me. Is that a common sales approach where you live?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Looks like a nice truck. Simply, buy it if they fix the ABS light and noise. You'll know when you go for your next test drive. It's difficult to disguise noises like you mention, especially of you give it a good run and put it through its paces. The "Buy Here Pay Here" purchase disclaimer seems strange to me. Is that a common sales approach where you live?

I wouldn’t really know this might be the second time I’ve ever looked at a used car on a used car lot!
Old 11-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
bronsin

Dealer called today. They tried installing a rebuilt ABS module but it didn’t work. They are ordering a new one from the dealer and that will be in in 7 to 10 days.

I won’t take delivery of the truck until it’s fixed. The deal is they fix the truck, I drive it and put my scan tool on it. Then I pay them and then take the truck.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #14
bronsin

Who knows what will happen but it looks like this is going to be a lose for the dealer and a win for me!

Old 11-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I would suggest a thorough pre-purchase inspection at a Ford dealership. It's certainly worth approximately $100. Any reputable used car dealership will agree to this inspection. If they hesitate, then pass on the car.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
bronsin

Good advice. I might just take the car there well they are waiting for the ABS module
Old 11-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
That is great advice from Kimona. I insisted that Dodge do a very thorough inspection - including test drive - on the 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Limited that I just bought. I purchased it from a local Toyota dealer where it was a trade-in. For $49.00 Dodge road tested it, checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid, coolant, all other fluids, all suspension, driveline components, brakes, all electronic systems etc. A very thorough inspection. When I called them to arrange the inspection, as I was thinking of buying the van, they asked if there was anything else I'd like checked. I asked them to be super critical and thorough. I also asked them to run a scan for any codes. All this for $49.00 - amazing. They reported back a van in excellent condition, needing only rear brakes and tires before long. So, IMO, follow Kimona's advice and have Ford do a full inspection - and ask them to check condition of all fluids for condition and level.

Another thing...these dealers buy used vehicles for pennies on the dollar. They have headroom to play with , but...they really want to make a sale. I flip things on their head. Make them know I'm interested, but also that I'm prepared to walk away if I don't get the deal I want. I don't ever lowball them, but I always give good reasons for the price reductions I ask for. In most cases I get a decent deal and they make some decent bucks, but maybe more importantly, from their perspective, they clear a space in the lot for more inventory. Finally, do research on the vehicle you're considering buying. Know more than they do, which in most cases isn't hard. If you go in knowing what you're talking about, you can have the upper hand. It really is an interesting interplay and psychology. Many people hate buying cars, used or otherwise. I've always enjoyed the experience.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-10-2020 at 07:11 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:46 AM   #18
bronsin

In this case however this used car dealer has made a mistake. They should’ve fix the car and then sold it They get $10,000 for a car like this with over 100,000 miles on it. This one has 55,000 miles.

They must know that. I’m wondering what’s going on here