Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2023, 08:25 AM   #19
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
ha an 82 xl250, that was the last year of the drum front end,

ive only bought n sold a few...i tend to hang onto em
Yes and they were cable operated brakes as well. I wish I had hung onto that XL 250 you could take it completely apart with just the tool kit that came with it. It was beautifully simple and incredibly well thought out. Especially the snail chain adjusters! You never see them anymore!

Contrast that with the brake system of the ST 1300 with linked brakes and ABS. Those linked brake system are so complicated I imagine ST 1300s are just sitting around unable to be ridden because no one can fix the brakes anymore they are so complicated.

Safest way to ride a motorcycle is just use the throttle and don’t touch the brakes except for stop signs. Cable operated drum brakes are all you need even for an ST 1300!
Old 01-07-2023, 03:10 PM   #20
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Yes and they were cable operated brakes as well. I wish I had hung onto that XL 250 you could take it completely apart with just the tool kit that came with it. It was beautifully simple and incredibly well thought out. Especially the snail chain adjusters! You never see them anymore!

Contrast that with the brake system of the ST 1300 with linked brakes and ABS. Those linked brake system are so complicated I imagine ST 1300s are just sitting around unable to be ridden because no one can fix the brakes anymore they are so complicated.

Safest way to ride a motorcycle is just use the throttle and don’t touch the brakes except for stop signs. Cable operated drum brakes are all you need even for an ST 1300!
when i got my 01 interceptor it was to replace my o1 zr7-s..most dont know what that is so ill simplify..its the last itteration of the GPZ and shares pretty much everything on the engine and half of whats o the frame

LOVED the brakes on the gpz with that weird 60/70 split..but i thought about working on it.....loved the vtech KICK...but the suspension about killed me 3 times in under 300 miles....i played with it and couldnt get it closer to how i needed it so i let it go...and if you looked at my list im pretty die hard honda..i grew up on hondas...the "new" gpz is so perfect to me..air cooled, carbs, simple, but that suspension...it sucks up the worst while still being firm and planted i put 15000 miles on it in the first year i had it..and still love the bike..ha one day where i spent 14 hours in the saddle...being 6'4 thats a feat in itself to have anything be comfortable for taht long outside of my xl600r

"most" of the hondas pre 90s could be entirely worked on with just the OE kit..and your right on the snail setup brilliant!..as for that cable brake front end.....my xl600r had that front end on it when i got it..now let me tell you at 100mph or long down hills that shit gets SCARY!!!!..took me a while to find a complete correct disc front end for it, on a 250 i could see it being fine...

ive had me xl600r, xl500s and xr250 down to the bone atleast twice each...very simple bikes rock solid reliability and the fact that you can still order parts direct from honda for em...hard to argue with
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bicycle, bike, cycling, ebike, motorcycle