Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Compressor pulley end fell off!

While changing the oil on the Yaris today, I noticed something in the splash guard under the radiator: It was this above.

I figured out it was the end of the compressor pulley on the air conditioner. I read somewhere on here that there is no nut to hold it on. Rather, it just threads on and there is a special tool that you need to tighten it down. This tool fits into the holes on the wheel, then you torque it down.

Is this correct? Will any mechanic have this, or is it a Toyota-specific tool? I'd rather not bring it in if I don't have to, but I also need it fixed. I assume I shouldn't drive it without this piece on ....

Thoughts?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There is another thread on here from yesterday with another person having the same thing happen. You can actually make your own tool with a piece of steel and two grade 8 bolts that will fit into the holes. Just take a piece of flat steel and drill two holes, spaced for two opposite holes in the pulley, and stick the bolts through (either tap the holes for the bolts or put nuts on the back side).
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There is another thread on here from yesterday with another person having the same thing happen. You can actually make your own tool with a piece of steel and two grade 8 bolts that will fit into the holes. Just take a piece of flat steel and drill two holes, spaced for two opposite holes in the pulley, and stick the bolts through (either tap the holes for the bolts or put nuts on the back side).
That's a good idea, Scott. I suppose there'd have to be a center nut to attach a wrench to to turn it.

Do you know the torque specs on that pulley nut cover thing I posted above?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
That's a good idea, Scott. I suppose there'd have to be a center nut to attach a wrench to to turn it.

Do you know the torque specs on that pulley nut cover thing I posted above?
The service manual considers the compressor to be a one piece part, so there are no specs for the pulley.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The service manual considers the compressor to be a one piece part, so there are no specs for the pulley.
Ah. Well I guess "tight enough" will have to do. Now I'll just have to make that tool.

Out of curiosity, the part that came off is designed to come off to replace the belt, correct? If so, does Toyota offer a proprietary tool for this piece?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ah. Well I guess "tight enough" will have to do. Now I'll just have to make that tool.

Out of curiosity, the part that came off is designed to come off to replace the belt, correct? If so, does Toyota offer a proprietary tool for this piece?
No. The belt can be replaced without removing the pulley. I am not sure if there is a SST, since Toyota just replaces the entire compressor.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine

Hmm ... I wonder if I could just put a nut on there instead of this plate? Is the plate a balancer of some sort?

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hmm ... I wonder if I could just put a nut on there instead of this plate? Is the plate a balancer of some sort?

Thoughts?
I really don't know. It might act as a bit of a flywheel for the compressor.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Thirty-Nine

Well, I made a tool to put it back on. I basically made my own adjustable spanner wrench using two bolts that could be moved to fit into the holes. I then put a large bolt through the center of the metal bar and fastened it with a nut so I could turn it with a wrench. I used a bit of thread lock on it, and tightened it as best I could. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it'll hold.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:49 PM   #10
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Well, I made a tool to put it back on. I basically made my own adjustable spanner wrench using two bolts that could be moved to fit into the holes. I then put a large bolt through the center of the metal bar and fastened it with a nut so I could turn it with a wrench. I used a bit of thread lock on it, and tightened it as best I could. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it'll hold.
Any updates? did the fix work? I have a similar situation myself.
Thanks!
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote