Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
tracyfulce

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to tracyfulce
Internal GPS -- Where do I start

I just bought an 09 Yaris sedan and I love it! The only thing that's missing is GPS. A portable unit doesn't seem like it would work very well (visually speaking -- there's no place to put it) so I want to modify my console and add DVD navigation. I have no idea where to start. PLEASE HELP!
tracyfulce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
I got a beanbag style mount for my gps and it works just fine.....waaaaaayyyy easier than digging into your dash.
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
If you can install a new head unit yourself, you can do any one of these GPS mounting installs too:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13875

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10215

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9402

I do not recommend getting an in-dash GPS equipped head unit. They don't get firmware and map updates as frequently as portable units like Garmin's Nuvis or TomTom's GOs. Also, the price charged for map updates for these in-dash GPS units usually costs as much as the lifetime map update programs that Garmin and Tomtom offer.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
A slightly different perspective on in dash GPS units . . .

I personally do not like any extra gadgets or wires mounted on my dash or elsewhere . . . . and my Kenwood Double DIN in dash unit has a full blown Garmin NAV system built in and I can connect it via USB to my laptop and dump any and all updates to it that work for the latest Nuvi's. I am running the very latest version of City Navigator® North America NT maps that are the exact same ones that the Nuvi's use, it speaks street names and I installed multiple voices from Garmin's site - I even installed the custom vehicle icon's on Garmin's site and even created a custom black Yaris icon for my NAV that you see in the picture (in Garmin's .srf format). It might be true though that they do fewer firmware updates for these things, but this one works great - and it has been out long enough that the bugs have been worked out. It has an external GPS antenna that gets a strong signal even though I concealed it in dash just behind the Gauge cluster . . . .

See pics:

Mike

Last edited by pariahdecss; 03-14-2009 at 09:36 PM.
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

I paid $850 for this - - so yes it is big coin . . . but it also controls my Ipod beautifully, can play DVD's DIVX, CD's, USB input - Bluetooth capable, XM, Sirius, TV, backup camera, has customizable skins and boot screens, Garmin NAV etc

Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Kalralahr
But it's a bright blue...

Drives: 08 Blue Hatch Back
yaris.srf

Hey pariahdecss - Any chance you could post your .srf?

Kalralahr
Kalralahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Here they are - I made a black one for myself (my car is black) - but I have not tried the blue or gray ones so I do not know how they look. You can use this page http://techmods.net/nuvi/ to convert and edit/mod these files
Black Yaris SRF: http://www.nohobikeclub.org/yaris/yaris_black.srf
Blue Yaris SRF: http://www.nohobikeclub.org/yaris/yaris_blue.srf
Gray Yaris SRF: http://www.nohobikeclub.org/yaris/yaris_gray.srf

Have fun!

Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Looks good pariahdecss. I should have clarified that the in-dash units I do not recommend are the ones that you get at the dealer (aka OEM). Kenwood's DNX, Pioneer's AVIC and Eclipse's AVN units are pretty cool. The positioning of the head unit in the Yaris though isn't that great for something like an in-dash navigation / HU combo.

Interesting I hadn't noticed that Garmin does have updates on their site for Kenwood's DNX series, Eclipse's AVN series.

Has Garmin added the new ecoRoute feature yet to your Kenwood? How much do your map updates cost? Also, do you get MSN Direct services or FM TMC traffic service with your Kenwood?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Pompeii66

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan
Options

I put in an Eclipse W/TomTom in my sedan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0205091158.jpg (256.3 KB, 386 views)
Pompeii66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

I ran the Webupdater for the Kenwood just like I do for my Nuvi standalone in the wife's car . . . . but no ecoRoute® feature yet and that is something that may not make it to this unit, as it has now been discontinued to make room for the dnx7140 and 9140 that are due out soon. As such I agree that these "all in wonder" units are ultimately less supported than a standalone NAV unit, but that is the price you pay for something that does everything. It can do FM traffic service with an add on module and subscription, but I live in the middle of nowhere so I do not need realtime traffic. Map updates cost the same as they do for the Nuvi's, because they are the exact same maps, but this unit came loaded with the 2009 North America maps, so I have not needed to update yet. You can load them by USB onto the onboard hard drive, or you can keep them on the SD card that this unit also supports.

Mike

Last edited by pariahdecss; 03-15-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
IsLNdbOi

Pretty cool that it works with Garmin webupdater. Did you know Garmin releases new maps quarterly now? They've started selling this nüMaps Lifetime update card that gives you unlimited map updates for one unit.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

I was not aware of the lifetime update plan . . . but looks like a decent deal. Going on a road trip next week, so I will put the GPS nav through its paces. I have only had it a few weeks.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
tracyfulce

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to tracyfulce
WOW! I love the built in idea. I am going to have to start my research plan!
tracyfulce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Saggio
Top Notch!

Drives: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pariahdecss View Post
I paid $850 for this - - so yes it is big coin . . . but it also controls my Ipod beautifully, can play DVD's DIVX, CD's, USB input - Bluetooth capable, XM, Sirius, TV, backup camera, has customizable skins and boot screens, Garmin NAV etc

Mike
What model # is yours?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I got a GPS that can use the external antenna and stick it on the upper windshield. I have a 12 volt outlet put into the driver side glove box and have the GPS mounted in it. It’s hidden unless you want to see it and driving with the glove box open is not a problem.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Looks nice in the radio, but can you actually follow a map while you drive??

I epoxied the window mount for my tom tom to the dash board. I can see it perfectly through the steering wheel, and its close enough to use the bluetooth for phone calls.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #17
IsLNdbOi

I tried one of these in-dash navigation units (TomTom / Eclipse AVN2210P) and the location the head unit sits really isn't great for looking at a navigation system. That's why I returned the TomTom / Eclipse and got a Nuvi to mount on the driver side glovebox door (right behind the steering wheel).
Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

It is a Kenwood DNX 7120 (now discontinued so you can get them cheap) Kenwood has announced the DNX 7140 and 9140 to be released soon which have some cool things like SMS texting and voice control. It is just a matter of preference with these things, I personally do not like additional gadgets or wires on my dash or elsewhere, so I accept that the nav unit is not in my direct line of sight. I am cool with peeking at it occasionally and relying on the spoken voice (a sexy Brit) for critical turns . . . but then again in this car even the speedo gauge is not in direct line of sight

Tags
chicago, gps, installation, navigation