Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
jb48
jb48

Drives: 2008 hatchback automatic
Checking oil in the Yaris

I woul like to know if you encounter the same problem than me when checking oil level in your Yaris. When I pull the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert and pull it again. one side of the metallic blade has oil almost to the handle while the other side seems to show correct level??? While this is surely not important problem, I would like to know why this happens.
I noticed that when I pull-wipe-reinsert-pull again and so on for, let`s say 6 to 8 times, oil on the <wrong> side of the blade tends to thin out. Can it be that the tube is so narrow that one side is scraping it of its oil naturally clinging to the inside diameter?
Another small problem (well, not really a problem) is that I like to check oil after the car is parked (level) overnight. First time I pull the dipstick, it shows about a quarter inch (as an example) under full mark. If I wipe it, reinsert and pull again, it shows almost full to the max line, getting the same last result if I repeat again and again. Now, let`s push the experiment another step: start the cold engine, let it idle a minute, stop it, wait another minute and check the oil level again. This time, even if admitedly all the oil has not returned to the pan, the oil level on the dipstick shows almost full to the max line, exactly as before running the cold engine for a minute! It`s against logic that oil level is a little bit lower in the overnight parked scenario than after running!
Ok, a little less than a quarter inch reading difference is nothing to consider, compared to the relatively long distance between the add and max dots, but the rational side of my mind is challenged! And I still didn`t find a confirmed explanation of the huge difference between oil level on both side of the dipstick blade?
jb48 is offline   Reply With Quote