Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Windows down does hurt FE. Compared to windows rolled up with the AC off.
I agree with that, that's why I never use the A/C or roll down the windows when I am alone in the car. I change into shorts and a t-shirt for the drive home from work and deal with the heat when it's over 30 degrees Celsius. I also don't use the heater, but instead where gloves and a toque when it's below freezing.

When the windows are fogging I pulse the defroster on as I roll down hills whenever possible.

Some people will call these tactics "not real world". I call it working to save my money and time. I personally don't find it easy to do anything as efficiently as possible.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
I agree with that, that's why I never use the A/C or roll down the windows when I am alone in the car. I change into shorts and a t-shirt for the drive home from work and deal with the heat when it's over 30 degrees Celsius. I also don't use the heater, but instead where gloves and a toque when it's below freezing.

When the windows are fogging I pulse the defroster on as I roll down hills whenever possible.

Some people will call these tactics "not real world". I call it working to save my money and time. I personally don't find it easy to do anything as efficiently as possible.
Wow 30 degress Celcius(86 F)? Thats a cool front down here in TX. People wear jackets on those days! Try having 105 F(or 40 Celcius) and a heat index of 120-130 F(which is what it actually feels like). With 100% humidity, simply rolling down the windows will not work. With that much moisture in the air, the sweat is pouring off of you, even if you were to drive naked! AC is a must!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
offtopic: ^ lived in houston, tx for 3yrs. yes, ac is a must!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Wow 30 degress Celcius(86 F)? Thats a cool front down here in TX. People wear jackets on those days! Try having 105 F(or 40 Celcius) and a heat index of 120-130 F(which is what it actually feels like). With 100% humidity, simply rolling down the windows will not work. With that much moisture in the air, the sweat is pouring off of you, even if you were to drive naked! AC is a must!
You only think AC is a must, there are plenty of people who live in hotter areas than that and have no AC. I'm not saying I wouldn't use AC if I was in your climate, but you don't have to have it. 30 degrees plus is the ambient temperature, the interior of the car gets up to mid 50's in slower traffic. I've been to Houston so I know what that kind humid heat is like (but I obviously don't have to deal with it everyday) and I've also live in Winnipeg for many years where I have experienced ambient temperatures from -62 celsius (My car barely started that day even though it was parked in an insulated garage) to +40 celsius. I only turned the A/C on in my house when the computer starts to crash from the heat. My point is, nothing is a must, we just get used to it. In my opinion the more you use A/C, the more you have to use it. If you don't have that option, you get used to it. I was in Phoenix a few years back and I couldn't believe how the locals wouldn't go golfing because they thought it was too hot. They all stayed home with their A/C cranked. I got to golf amazing courses almost by myself.

Not trying to change your mind, just give you a different perspective. I think my car is a must, but we could sell the car and I could waste 2 hours+ more a day on a Mass transit commute. I could deal with it if I didn't have a choice, just like I think you could live without A/C if you didn't have it.

Your body can acclimate to nearly anything if you let it.

I personally think A/C is bad for our health and wish it was outright banned or strongly controlled. Stores and offices are insanely cold with their A/C cranked, front doors open when it's only mid 20's in the summer. Someone like you would come here and probably not understand why the A/C is on at all, just like how some people from a desert in Africa would come to Texas and not understand why you're wasting all those resources on A/C. It's all about perspective and what your options are.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
You only think AC is a must, there are plenty of people who live in hotter areas than that and have no AC. I'm not saying I wouldn't use AC if I was in your climate, but you don't have to have it. 30 degrees plus is the ambient temperature, the interior of the car gets up to mid 50's in slower traffic. I've been to Houston so I know what that kind humid heat is like (but I obviously don't have to deal with it everyday) and I've also live in Winnipeg for many years where I have experienced ambient temperatures from -62 celsius (My car barely started that day even though it was parked in an insulated garage) to +40 celsius. I only turned the A/C on in my house when the computer starts to crash from the heat. My point is, nothing is a must, we just get used to it. In my opinion the more you use A/C, the more you have to use it. If you don't have that option, you get used to it. I was in Phoenix a few years back and I couldn't believe how the locals wouldn't go golfing because they thought it was too hot. They all stayed home with their A/C cranked. I got to golf amazing courses almost by myself.

Not trying to change your mind, just give you a different perspective. I think my car is a must, but we could sell the car and I could waste 2 hours+ more a day on a Mass transit commute. I could deal with it if I didn't have a choice, just like I think you could live without A/C if you didn't have it.

Your body can acclimate to nearly anything if you let it.

I personally think A/C is bad for our health and wish it was outright banned or strongly controlled. Stores and offices are insanely cold with their A/C cranked, front doors open when it's only mid 20's in the summer. Someone like you would come here and probably not understand why the A/C is on at all, just like how some people from a desert in Africa would come to Texas and not understand why you're wasting all those resources on A/C. It's all about perspective and what your options are.
Well I still get 44 mpg with the AC on full blast and no hyper techs. In the long run it will save me money. If I didnt run the AC, I would have to have my seats professionally cleaned about once a month because they would be smelling from the sweat constantly soaking into them. So some things are a must. No AC and get a few extra mpgs or spend hundreds of $ a year cleaning seats? AC is a must.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:

*bows down to you* I respect your devotion to FE

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
*bows down to you* I respect your devotion to FE
Don't respect me, respect the masters at CleanMPG. Their are some people in that community who sacrifice every convenience to save every ounce of energy, because they believe it's the right thing to do. I do it mostly to save money, so I don't deserve any respect. It does make it easier to engage in these actions knowing the off shoots are all positive for everyone though.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:33 AM   #8
sceh

Drives: yaris 2004
You could also only drive when it doesn't rain so you don't need wipers or, better, live up a hill so don't need to use the battery to start or for the first few hundred yards. And never drive at night in case you need to use the headlights (btw, I knew someone who did this - seriously)
Better still - sell your car and walk!
sceh is offline   Reply With Quote