Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Windshield Washer Not Working

OK, have an odd situation...

First, I had my windshield replaced by SafeLite on Thursday due to a crack from a recent hailstorm.

Today, on my way to Austin, I tried cleaning off my new windshield only to find the washers don't work.

I thought the washer fluid was just out, so I refilled it and still no luck.

The odd thing is the back washer still works!

I wonder if SafeLite may have pulled a fuse or disconnected the pump for some reason, but before I take it to them to ask, is that even feasible when replacing the windshield?

If not, and it's just a coincidence that the washer stopped working just as the windshield was replaced, what else could it be?

What can I look for and do to possible fix this myself?

I'm in southcentral Texas, with lots of dust and pollen floating about. I need my windshield washers!
Old 06-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
You should hear the pump running, if you do then look for leaks in the line. If you don't then check for power & ground at the pump. Theres 2 pumps, one for front and rear.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
MadMax

Yep...

Is there any easy way to access this area without removing the headlight and bumper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windshield Washer Pump Assembly (Liftback).jpg (87.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #4
MadMax

Nevermind, problem solved!

I went out to see if the pump ran when I went to wash the windshield, and after it did, I saw the puddle of fluid behind the front passenger side wheel. Given the reservoir and pump sit much farther forward, I started to look around and saw the hose connector at the upper lefthand corner of the engine bay had come undone, most likely when they were installing my new windshield.

I was concerned as after I connected it, I only got a small stream of water out of the washer jets; but then I filled up the reservoir again and everything worked as designed.

I guess I was overzealous in trying to clear the lines out while driving home today that I emptied the reservoir!

But, nevertheless, I have a result!
Old 05-31-2021, 06:46 AM   #5
Kinsley Mitchell
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hybrid
Thank you very much for your advice! Most often, lately, I have been repairing my windshield, which constantly suffers from stones on the road, from branches that fall on the car when I drive under the trees. On the site https://www.carwindshields.info/ I finally found valuable and useful information for me about windshields, about when to replace the windshield, and when you just need to repair it. I advise you this site if you have similar problems.

Last edited by Kinsley Mitchell; 06-01-2021 at 02:19 AM.
Kinsley Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:53 AM   #6
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Seems like a not-so-uncommon problem. I had exactly the same issue, the hose popped away on its own, without any obvious reason.
Sorry for not logging in earlier - I could have saved you some grey hair.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You brought up a very good diagnostic when something does not work. That is what has been done to the car since the problem occurred! Whenever something breaks, do you want to consider what has happened recently to the car.

I especially like the one That goes like this. I just decreased my engine with the garden hose and now it won’t start!

Old 06-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Another good one is I just put an alarm system in the car and now it won’t start!

Tags
windshieidl