Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Calspeed

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Five month report on the Yaris

Hello folks....

I bought a Yaris for the wife in October in order for her to save money on fuel. Her commute is from San Francisco to Silicon Valley 4 days a week.

We traded in a C Class Mercedes that was giving us about 23mpg. We figured that in a couple years a high MPG vehicle would "basically" pay for itself. We were looking for a car that would get a minimum of 35mpg on her commute. The Yaris was the answer.

It is now almost 5 months since we bought the car and immediatly put it into service. Its ration of use is appx 95/5, Commuting vs other driving.

Immediatly the Yaris got about 34mpg. My wife was a little concerned that we didnt break 35mpg. I told her to give it a few tank fulls and see how it goes. Sure enough the mpg's climed to a high of 38 for her 90 mile daily commute.

So here we are at almost 7k miles. Just as planned, the car is pretty much paying for itself. It is comfortable. Sips fuel. Quiet and everything that a commuter car should be.

No "real" complaints other then the occassional...

"I can believe that I am driving a Yaris now" in reflection to driving a Mercedes before. But being the intelligent lady she is, she quickly understands that the Yaris was purchased for one reason. To save money and for a reliable transport to the office.

So, with quick calculations it looks like we have saved close to $600 dollars in fuel costs in five months. And as the fuel prices go up the savings are more apparent.

We dont use it too often for driving in the City. Trying to keep the dings and scratches off of the car. Otherwise, it is a great car and its doing everything we expected.

Miguel
Calspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Just wait until you can start to factor in Yaris vs Benz maintenance costs.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Just wait until you can start to factor in Yaris vs Benz maintenance costs.
What he said
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
It's a pity you guys don't have the diesel (1.4 litre) 90bhp, I have one and it does 63mpg average. The petrol version on sale here is a 1.0 litre (68bhp) and that does 55mpg.
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
The Yaris is great for what it does. Gets from Point A to B real cheap.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have news for you. That C class was nowhere. Youve got to have an S class to really be somebody.

bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
The Yaris is an excellent inexpensive car. I've been keeping a detailed MPG log since the first fill-up after buying the car new. My overall average is 38MPG and that's mostly city driving.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Yaris is a great commuter car. Wouldn't want to have it as a family car. Not enough HPs. I now have 48,000 on my five year old Yaris and (knock on wood), I have only had the regular maintenance.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Soner

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to Soner
It's interesting that someone coming from a Mercedes says that Yaris is quiet.
Soner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 746watts View Post
It's a pity you guys don't have the diesel (1.4 litre) 90bhp, I have one and it does 63mpg average. The petrol version on sale here is a 1.0 litre (68bhp) and that does 55mpg.
It's too bad the California Air Resource Board has declared war on diesel. Good luck to any car mfg getting an OK for selling a new diesel vehicle in this state.

I actually tried putting my family of 4 (wife and 2 kids requiring 2 car seats) into the Yaris LB 2 door this weekend to putt around town. Interesting experience. Not too terribly bad.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
We haul two kids in ours all of the time. They are 8 and 9 though, so no messing with car seats. The adjustable rear seats give lots of room in the back seat, its not bad at all in the power department either.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Calspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I have news for you. That C class was nowhere. Youve got to have an S class to really be somebody.

Actually, thats isnt true. I will admit that I am a nobody in my industry. But my wife... in her area of expertise she IS a "somebody". It isnt that we cannot afford another AMG. We are looking to spend out monies in other areas or not spend it at all. As well, we just bought another house in San Francisco. Extra $$$ is nice to have handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soner View Post
It's interesting that someone coming from a Mercedes says that Yaris is quiet.
True that the Mercedes was quieter and handled better. But for what the Yaris is and what it does we have no complaints at all.

Miguel
Old 03-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
yaris is a major upgrade over any M-B IMHO ;)

hell even my tercel is

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calspeed View Post
.... Quiet and everything that a commuter car should be....

Quiet? Your car must be different than mine. I drive a stock 07 LB and when I get it up to speed on the highway its the loudest interior of a car I've ever been in.

I've seriously thought about the sound deadening stuff but thats just going to add to the weight to the car, lessen the weight in my wallet, and kill MPG, so I just crank the radio up louder so I can hear it. hehe
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Yaris240

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 3d
Interesting. I have both a 2010 Yaris and 2001 C240. I love both cars. If you do a cost comparision, A 5-year old C-Class in pretty good condition ( even factoring in it's future expensive maintenance and repairs), is comparable in cost to a brand new well equiped Yaris. If you drive a lot, then the Yaris pays off in gasoline savings. But the C-Class IMHO handles better on the highway and will protect you better if you get T-boned.
Yaris240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Two rolls (100 ft) of good quality sound dampening is 30 lbs.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Calspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
yaris is a major upgrade over any M-B IMHO ;)

hell even my tercel is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Quiet? Your car must be different than mine. I drive a stock 07 LB and when I get it up to speed on the highway its the loudest interior of a car I've ever been in....
I think we have similar cars. I didnt say it was the quietest car I ever owned. But for a new car, "out the door" price of less then 14k? I'm very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris240 View Post
Interesting. I have both a 2010 Yaris and 2001 C240. I love both cars. If you do a cost comparision, A 5-year old C-Class in pretty good condition ( even factoring in it's future expensive maintenance and repairs), is comparable in cost to a brand new well equiped Yaris. If you drive a lot, then the Yaris pays off in gasoline savings. But the C-Class IMHO handles better on the highway and will protect you better if you get T-boned.

My feelings are similar to yours. So far the MPG's are amazing compared to the MB. We like the Yaris, alot!

Miguel