Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
bonjournaste

Drives: Yarisless
Question about Yaris performance

I remember when the Echo came out and being quite impressed with the performance for what it was. I remember articles in Car and Driver and Motor Trend showing 0-60 times with high 7's, low 8's.

(random ones i could find online)
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...echo_2000.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...yota_echo.html

Does anyone know if there's a difference in weight or gearing compared to the new Yaris? The only numbers I could find for the Yaris were in the mid 9's 0-60, but I couldn't find anything from the major magazines online.

Even with the Yaris TS, they're stating 9.3 0-62 times, (so say 9 flat 0-60). I'm hoping that's a conservative number?

Obviously they're not built for speed, but the Echo was suprisingly quick, and that was also 6 years ago. Power to weight seems like it should be close?

Any thoughts?
bonjournaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
First of all, the new Yaris is heavier.Next, its engine(1.8lt, 132hp) will give better accelleration not from stop but in higher speeds.It will certainly have plenty of torque!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
The first article is one of the few I found to be positive about the ECHO

Anyway the new Yaris is a totally different platform and as mentioned before it weighs more...so handling characteristics are going to be different at least for the most part. I'm just second guessing but I'm guessing the Yaris hatch and sedan run around 2,200lbs to 2,350lbs depending on options and configuration (hatch or sedan) but according to the spec sheet the hatch and sedan are roughly about the same weight but from various reviews people find the hatch to be more "quick" or at least seem that way. I know the gearing is different to compensate for the weight gain.

Here is a link to the U.S. site, if you go to "capacities" tab it will show the curb weight of both models.http://www.toyota.com/yaris/specs.html
Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Katana

Nice job there.

The new Yaris has better handling that the previous model, but it is a bit slower.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
My 07 Yaris manual seems very quick in 1st and 2nd gear, but the extra bulk (when compared to older model) shows through when it's time to go into third gear. So, up to 80km/hr it seems very quick or at least on par with any of the quicker competition.

Back when I was driving my 98 Civic Hatch, I was surprised that the old Echo could keep up with me up to 100km/hr, but then I'd waste it at higher speeds. The upcoming 1.8L on the TS is going to be a really fun setup.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Katana

Exactly.

Between 0-110 km/h my car is pretty fast.However, between 110-140 it is very very slow.After 140km/h it is kind of fast again.