Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Early Christmas Present

Now I can finally get my tools off the floor! Picked this up at home depot. It's surprisingly sturdy. Not bad for $248.00 CA. Unfortunately, it didn't come with drawer liners. Have to pick some of those up, or bulk rubber drawer liner, tomorrow.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Nice! It's always good to have a proper home for your stuff. I've been happy with the mid-range Hazard Fraught tool chests that I've bought over the last few years. Not quite as nice as the stuff the guys in the big shops have but sturdy enough to last me a long time.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Nice! It's always good to have a proper home for your stuff. I've been happy with the mid-range Hazard Fraught tool chests that I've bought over the last few years. Not quite as nice as the stuff the guys in the big shops have but sturdy enough to last me a long time.
Just looked up Hazard Fraught tools. The name intrigued me. Do they actually sell tools, or is it entirely a joke?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Very nice. I'm looking for a storage cabinet to store/organize all my things in, but man, are they expensive. Currently using a repurposed kitchen island to store some tools and stuff in. LOL
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Keep all your stuff clean and organized... and free your mind.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Very nice. I'm looking for a storage cabinet to store/organize all my things in, but man, are they expensive. Currently using a repurposed kitchen island to store some tools and stuff in. LOL
Indeed they are expensive. Especially if you go for a 'shop grade' one. I was seriously considering this Milwaukee one. It was really nice, including a built-in power bar and 2 usb outlets. In the end, I decided it was too big for my purposes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...8540/306329606

Old 10-11-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Keep all your stuff clean and organized... and free your mind.
Yes, I do tend to get a little anxious when I see my tools scattered all over the floor. I considered putting a full wall of pegboard up on my paint booth. That would be the ultimate, but then I'd have to move it all next time I did any painting.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Just looked up Hazard Fraught tools. The name intrigued me. Do they actually sell tools, or is it entirely a joke?
It's a spoof on the Harbor Freight stores (similar to Northern Tool/Princess Auto chains you have up there). Some of their stuff is decent entry level, some is complete garbage. The mid-range cabinets are pretty decent value for the price.

I've upgraded a few times from a unit like yours to a stacked chest and recently went to a bigger 26" stacked chest and a pair of 44" bases. I was going to build the two bases into a work bench but I haven't gotten the garage organized enough to be able to leave them in place.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
looks good
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Indeed they are expensive. Especially if you go for a 'shop grade' one. I was seriously considering this Milwaukee one. It was really nice, including a built-in power bar and 2 usb outlets. In the end, I decided it was too big for my purposes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...8540/306329606
Dang, that's more expensive than some storage cabinets!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
CrankyOldMan

I think the Milwaukee one is overpriced, compared to the US General's I have. I got them at pre-order prices (USD400 each) last summer. They're targeting different buyers, for sure, but I don't see an integrated power strip or that shin-buster as being worth the decreased storage capacity for the same price. I'm really happy with the quality of them, even if the manual requires you to completely unload it before moving it across level, hard, even surfaces.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
06YarisRS

Yeah, I decided not to go for the Milwaukee, largely because I didn't want to spend that much. I hadn't noticed the bottle opener on it before - a bit cheesy. LOL. I liked the idea of the power bar and USB as there would definitely be a use for those, but I'd have to move the cabinet closer to my project and that could be inconvenient at times. I often work outside and the transition from my garage cement floor to the asphalt could cause problems. The US General looks like a really nice, well-thought out and sturdy cabinet.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
06YarisRS

Started stocking the cabinet

Surprisingly, most of the little bits like sockets and such stayed in place when I shook the cabinet. I still may look for some socket rails or similar.

Contents, from the top drawer down

Old 10-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Looks great. Im using my Dad's old 1990-1991 Sears/Craftsman toolbox he gave to me years ago. Its showing its age and battle scars. I'll keep it forever for sentimental reasons(Probably put electrical stuff in it) but I would like to get a new, slightly larger toolbox aswell for car stuff.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
Looks great. Im using my Dad's old 1990-1991 Sears/Craftsman toolbox he gave to me years ago. Its showing its age and battle scars. I'll keep it forever for sentimental reasons(Probably put electrical stuff in it) but I would like to get a new, slightly larger toolbox aswell for car stuff.
Thanks man! Sears used to sell really good stuff. The Craftsman line was top notch.

I probably could have used a larger one. It's amazing how many wrenches/sockets and doo dads turned up after I cleaned the garage today. But, what a difference. I have a clear floor now. I'm glad to get the tools up off the concrete floor. I added lots more to the chest since the pics above. I may not need any holders as everything is nicely packed together, lol.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I’ve been putting off buying some thing similar for years… If we end up staying in the US after this current awful period, I will likely pick one up when I see one on sale
Old 10-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #17
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Wow, that's freakin' beautiful! Mine looks like crap by comparison ...

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
I’ve been putting off buying some thing similar for years… If we end up staying in the US after this current awful period, I will likely pick one up when I see one on sale
Yeah, I lived for years with my tools on the floor. So nice to be able to find something quickly and not have to constantly bend down to do get a tool.