Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
Rob888

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2 door hatchback
2010 Yaris cranks but does not start

My 2010 3 door hatchback Yaris cranks but does not start. It has 140k miles.
It died suddenly while I was driving as if it ran out of gas and would not start again.

I sprayed starting fluid into the hose that connects to the throttle body for one second, and the engine ran for a few seconds. So the problem is not a spark problem. I replaced all four spark plugs before doing the starting fluid test because when I've had this same engine problem in the past it was
the result of a bad spark plug. Changing the spark plugs made no difference.

When I turn the key to the "On" position I do not hear a humming noise from the rear of the car where the fuel pump is located, but I do hear a humming noise after turning the engine over trying to start it. Should there be a humming sound each time the key is put into the "On" position?

I do hear clicking from the fuse box under the steering wheel when I put the key to the "On" position. So that means the fuel pump relay is working, correct?

There is no fuse in either fuse box either in the engine compartment or beneath the steering wheel that is clearly labeled for the fuel pump. So I checked all the fuses, and they all appear to be good. I slid my voltmeter probes into some of the fuse slots and got close to 12 volt readings on some but nothing on others. But I did not slide to probes all the way into the slots. So I could recheck to voltages again if necessary. My battery is good and cranks the engine strongly.

I checked the fuel injectors Ohms readings, and they are all within spec. I don't have anyone to turn the engine over so I cannot listen for the clicking sound in the fuel injectors.

There's no bolt on the fuel line to loosen to see if there is fuel pressure. So is there another part that can be loosened to check for fuel pressure?

My Yaris 2010 Factory Service Manual shows that a fuel pressure gauge needs to be connected with a SST "T" connector and a SST connector at the fuel pressure gauge hose. Is this the only way to connect a fuel pressure gauge to this car?

I looked under the car and could not find the fuel pump electrical plug connector. Is the plug next to the fuel pump underneath the back seat?

I cranked the engine with the MAF sensor disconnected, but it would not start.

I checked the air filter and its hose and they are clean.

Thanks for any replies.
Rob888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Mediocore
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Black Hatchback
Not saying your issue was my issue but once the same thing happened to my 2009. I had a quarter tank of gas or so i thought and my car was unable to start but would crank. I poured about 5 gallons in and charged my battery and it fired up. I’m not sure why but my gas gauge doesn’t read right, a quarter tank is essentially empty on my car- wasn’t always like this. I suspect my fuel pump is failing but your issue sounds fuel related to me.
Mediocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Rob888

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2 door hatchback
I put two gallons in the tank and it fired up right away. My gas gauge showed two lines out of the ten lines, but the tank was empty. I've gone below two lines several times, so I thought there was plenty of gas left.

I cranked the engine so many times trying to start it, so I pumped gunk from the tank into the fuel system. Hopefully not a lot of gunk was pumped out of the gas tank.

I was just about to call to have my car towed to a mechanic before I read your reply. Thanks for the reply.
Rob888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:12 AM   #4
Naaanii

Drives: Yaris 1.33 mk2
Have u tried disconnecting battery for a 10 minutes? Sometimes battery stores an info about faliure and won't let the engine start untill u reset it. I had the similar problem once and that helped me.

GL!
Naaanii is offline   Reply With Quote