Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
Jeffbass

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Transmission install need help !!!

So I am ready to drop my 2010 Yaris automatic transmission I got one from a local used parts supplier with 43000 miles. When I was taking out the torque converter bolts from the access window on the transmission I noticed a orange dot on the flywheel can anyone tell me what this is for? Also how much fluid needs to be in the torque converter when installing and does it need to be lined up in a certain spot on the flywheel. Just trying to be prepared when I do pull the old one. Any key steps that I should know when bolting up the new one? Thanks in advance.
Jeffbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
the orange dot could potentially be a heavy spot on the flexplate. I would mark everything with a paint marker and make sure you re install it in the same orientation in case they were balanced at the factory.

I don't know the amount of fluid the TC needs, you could always just measure what comes out of the old one if you are installing a new one. I do know how ever that most people recommend filling it up prior to install as it makes filling the trans quicker and easier
Old 05-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
Jeffbass

Well the junkyard trans came with a torque converter but maybe I will just mark the old one and just use it rather than the new one. That’s a good idea I will try to retain the fluid and add same amount. I plan on changing the rear main seal. I was gonna ask advice on the trans filter and gasket on the junkyard trans. It only has 43000 on it should I change the filter it has been sitting on a shelf .
Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
johnwk

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
I'm not familiar with the process, but I remember seeing an orange dot like that in ChrisFix's video on replacing a transmission (see 13:35). I can't find the spot where he explains what it is, if he does, but the video might be useful.
johnwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
to replace the liquid you need 6 liters
Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffbass View Post
Well the junkyard trans came with a torque converter but maybe I will just mark the old one and just use it rather than the new one. That’s a good idea I will try to retain the fluid and add same amount. I plan on changing the rear main seal. I was gonna ask advice on the trans filter and gasket on the junkyard trans. It only has 43000 on it should I change the filter it has been sitting on a shelf .
it's up to you, that isn't high mileage but for piece of mind so you know it's been done you could. It isn't any easier to do with it out of the car so you could always save it for later
Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
Jeffbass

New issue trans went in great but have a new problem

So the trans went in fine drove it around a bit was good. I had noticed that my control are bushing we’re worn out and I think this might have contributed to the play in the trans. I ordered new control arms and put the key in the ignition while I was working on it because I kept needing to turn the wheel. This caused the battery to die. I then jumped it with my other car and let it run I drove it down the street planning to drive it around and it stalled out. I turned the key to the off position but the dash light stayed on, but the engine would not shut off although I could change gears to get it in neutral. The car is now not starting but can still use the key to turn it on. It is a 2010 Yaris did I immobilize it or something? I am lost. But it feels like some kind of electrical problem. If I put key in the car turns on the engine fan turns on and I can use turn signals when in the on position but not when I turn to off. When I turn to off the engine fan continues to run and all dash lights stay on till I pull the negative wire.

Last edited by Jeffbass; 05-22-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
tmontague

Quick thought - did you check that you connected all of the ground wires back up? There should be one on the trans. Also trace back some steps, did you disconnect anything or possibly pinch some wires?

You need to find out if your car has an immobilizer or not, check your key to find out or look at the circle around your ignition where you insert your key. One type has a plastic ring, the other metal cant recall which is which. If you have an immobilizer then you should have a red light on the dash.

Your battery likely was going bad and that is why it died. If your batterybif friend and ot fully charged/charging than you will get weird symptoms. Put a known good battery in the car and re try.

I'm not clear when you say the car is on, are you talking about just the ignition or the actual engine?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
Jeffbass

So I did check and I have the ground on at the trans. I guess it possible that I pinched something or pulled it loose as I had to lift the engine a little to put the front control arm bolt it. Tried to switch batteries with the one in my echo but the terminals are opposite sides and I couldn’t get it to plug in as the wires were short I might be able to if I unclimbed some of the retaining clips but it was getting dark when I tried. As for the ignition I have a black ring around the key hole. I will do some digging today anyway.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
blueangel2007
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris sedan
Any updates
blueangel2007 is offline   Reply With Quote