Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
I know there is at least 1 person on here from the big island so hopefully he could let you know about the best spots to check out.
The stuff that tourists do and the stuff that people who actually live here do are so fundamentally different that some of us won't be able to offer much. Tourists are mostly here for the fake fantasy world that the resorts promote - beaches, golf courses, expensive boutiques, touristy restaurants, ziplines, waterfalls, and other assorted touristy things. Occasionally there are those who like to take the road less travelled and see something different.

The volcano park should be your first destination. Steaming holes in the ground are always fun, but hopefully you'll visit some of the more out-of-the-way parts of it as well.

If you want a quick rundown of first choices for scenic vistas and checking out the scope of the island: Saddle Road, Mauna Loa Access Road (north slope), Mauna Loa Strip Road (south slope), "Kohala Mountain Road", Pololu Valley overlook, the entire highway through Ka'u district. (4-wheel-drive opens up some other interesting possiblities, but costs big $$$.) Branch out from there. Be sure to check out the lava visiting situation, which changes daily and hasn't been really good recently. If you are on this island you should be all over the mountains!

There are now direct flights into Hilo from LA.

Hopefully you will slip in before the autumn rainy season, which is usually around November.

I can say that I have a strong dislike for Kailua (Kona), Waimea/Kamuela and the surrounding area. We call it Konafornia...and spit on ground!

Last edited by bkrownd; 06-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote