Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
attrapereves

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2dr 5spd
Wheel pulling

For as long as I've owned this car, I've had to keep the wheel turned slightly to the left to make the car go straight. If I release the wheel, the car will usually veer to the right. I do not see any abnormal wear on my tires. The roads here have their highest point in the middle, with a slight slope down towards the curb (I'm assuming for rain).

Does anyone else notice this with their Yaris?
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
The car should gradually drift right due to the crown in the road. If it veers then you no doubt need an alignment.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
The car should gradually drift right due to the crown in the road. If it veers then you no doubt need an alignment.
Would a shop be able to visually tell me if I need an alignment without actually doing one? I don't want to pay for an alignment only to find out I don't need one.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Would a shop be able to visually tell me if I need an alignment without actually doing one? I don't want to pay for an alignment only to find out I don't need one.
No ...and by the sounds of it u need one .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
It could be a simple misalignment of the front subframe. Do you know if the subframe bolt were changed on it?

If the caster is misaligned one wheel will want to pull against the other and push the car in one direction. You would not see any abnormal wear on your tires if toe and camber are correct.

But it could also be a misalignment of the rear axle, tracking to the left. (Dog tracking)
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Experienced alignment guy here. Step one is to swap your front tires from L to R and try it again. If it leads the other way (or just changes) it's time for new tires. Most leads, unless you have hit something, are caused by tires. If you don't notice a difference, then it's time for an alignment check. Leads are caused by camber/caster angles (or setback). If the angles are not even enough L to R (typically around 0.5°) you will get leads. It's also possible it's brake drag on one side, but you'd probably notice other symptoms of that by now.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Experienced alignment guy here. Step one is to swap your front tires from L to R and try it again. If it leads the other way (or just changes) it's time for new tires. Most leads, unless you have hit something, are caused by tires. If you don't notice a difference, then it's time for an alignment check. Leads are caused by camber/caster angles (or setback). If the angles are not even enough L to R (typically around 0.5°) you will get leads. It's also possible it's brake drag on one side, but you'd probably notice other symptoms of that by now.

Cheers.
I've owned my car since January and new tires were on it when I bought it. It's got 75K miles on it, but I've only put about 6000mi on it. I'm getting the tires rotated soon. I'll see if that helps. If not, I'll get it aligned.

I can't remember if it pulled to one side when I bought it.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
attrapereves

Took the car in for an alignment today. The car was still in alignment, but a tire rotation seemed to fix the pulling issue. I guess I should have just got the tires rotated first.

Why would tires with only 6000mi on them cause pulling like this?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Took the car in for an alignment today. The car was still in alignment, but a tire rotation seemed to fix the pulling issue. I guess I should have just got the tires rotated first.

Why would tires with only 6000mi on them cause pulling like this?
Did you check tire pressures? A tire's tread can cause this also if the pattern isn't in line cause it to want to walk in one direction.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
bgkz25

Drives: 2006 Toyota Vitz 1.5Li
Eventhough tires are new, it's the tire conicity that causes these side-pulling problems.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/181

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
bgkz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Did you check tire pressures? A tire's tread can cause this also if the pattern isn't in line cause it to want to walk in one direction.
Yup. Pressure is good.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #12
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
a tire rotation seemed to fix the pulling issue. I guess I should have just got the tires rotated first.
Darn. If only someone had suggested that..............

Tires can be bad out of the factory. They can also be damaged from impacts, driving with low pressures, sitting still for long periods, etc. Occasionally a tire pull will not get worse, but often it is indicative of a separation which will worsen (or fail). What brand of tire are they? Cheaper tires are far more likely to have leads and balance issues.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote