Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Wish me luck!

Taking the Echo in to get looked at in the morning by a trusted independent mechanic. It been making a loud clunking noise on bumps and during gear shifts. I think it has something to do with the front passenger-side suspension, but I looked underneath and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. It a twenty year old car so I know there's going to be issues from time to time.

Regardless of the diagnosis I still love this little car and the joy it has brought me!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Good luck! It's an Echo, so it shouldn't be that expensive to get fixed. If it weren't for the clunk during shifting, I'd say struts or strut mounts. So, I'm going to guess control arm bushings or engine mount.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:48 AM   #3
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Good luck, toad! Here's to hoping it's a quick and inexpensive fix! I hope you get 30 years out of your Echo. Nah, 40.

bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
toad,
You're Echo is white, right?
Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
toad

Yes. Leaving now.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Mister

Drives: Yaris T1
Lets play prophet and see if we can guess before OP gets back :)

Dibs on it being some sort of bushing or rubber/polyurethane bit like a control arm bushing being stuffed. Or a Sway bar bushings
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Lets play prophet and see if we can guess before OP gets back :)

Dibs on it being some sort of bushing or rubber/polyurethane bit like a control arm bushing being stuffed.
My guesses are above. Sorry man, no dibs on control arm bushings. Already mentioned them. Joking of course.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
Mister

Drives: Yaris T1
So what is the verdict!!!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
toad

Sorry for the late response. It's been a BUSY couple of weeks! Anyways, the culprit was determined to be a 'bad rack and pinion'. He showed me a video he shot with his phone and you could see the shaft was just wobbling inside the cylinder. The old piece was going to need to be shipped to the reconditioner as hey don't have the part available from their suppliers. All said and done, it was going to cost me over a grand to get it fixed and I decided it was time to just cut my losses and go car shopping.

I ended up buying a 2020 Tacoma as I've had one in the past and I LOVED it. Also, with the 6ft bed I can just toss the kayaks in the back instead of spending 20 minutes strapping them to the top of my car. I've still got the Echo because I just can't let it go. It IS a great car!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Sorry for the late response. It's been a BUSY couple of weeks! Anyways, the culprit was determined to be a 'bad rack and pinion'. He showed me a video he shot with his phone and you could see the shaft was just wobbling inside the cylinder. The old piece was going to need to be shipped to the reconditioner as hey don't have the part available from their suppliers. All said and done, it was going to cost me over a grand to get it fixed and I decided it was time to just cut my losses and go car shopping.

I ended up buying a 2020 Tacoma as I've had one in the past and I LOVED it. Also, with the 6ft bed I can just toss the kayaks in the back instead of spending 20 minutes strapping them to the top of my car. I've still got the Echo because I just can't let it go. It IS a great car!
Congrats on the Tacoma. There isn't a used rack available in a local scrapyard?

Old 09-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Not just scrapyard, but you can also get rebuilt racks. Of course, there's still the installation, which is going to cost you if you don't do it yourself. I could see how for some, it could be a deal breaker for a car worth $3-$5k.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
get a manual rack