Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
tallyarisguy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
extreme leg pain

I am looking for a solution to my knee issues from driving my 2007 Yaris sedan.

I believe the source of the problem is the location of the gas pedal, which is so far to the right, it forces my leg to torque unnaturally.

I am 6'2".

However, my wife (who is NOT tall) was also having extreme leg and hip pain which went away when she stopped driving the car.

Maybe if i can retrofit pedals that allow my foot to make contact further to the left, it might solve the issue.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!
tallyarisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
put the seat back as straight up as possible, then slide the seat back as much as possible while keeping a good handle on the wheel... The problem with this car is the steering wheel is way too forward, you gotta keep your legs bent...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I dont have that problem, the sitting position I feel is quite comfortable.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
goat1of2

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto 3-door
I have never found a comfortable seating position with my Yaris. The seat is simply too low and has no height adjuster. That may be your wife's problem. (I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam--which means long legs, short torso)

In order to get close enough to reach the steering wheel, I have to slide the seat pretty far forward. But then the seat does not support my upper leg all the way out to the knee. This gave me pain too. My solution was to add a pillow to the seat. I'm still too far away from the steering wheel, but at least I can live with it now.
goat1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
some people also add washers to the bolts for the front of the seat, essentially tilting back the base a little bit, it should help too!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Cruise Control mod? Will cost you maybe $10-20 and a few hours of research and work.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
Nice to know it's not just me. I thought old age was setting in with my left knee and hip. Never had that kind of issue with my VW or my wife's van. After driving an hour and a half getting out of the car, my leg aches for a few minutes. I did notice that when I tilted my seat more vertical and brought it back slightly, the pain is almost gone.
I think I'll try the pillow type idea as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
I have never found a comfortable seating position with my Yaris. The seat is simply too low and has no height adjuster. That may be your wife's problem. (I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam--which means long legs, short torso)

In order to get close enough to reach the steering wheel, I have to slide the seat pretty far forward. But then the seat does not support my upper leg all the way out to the knee. This gave me pain too. My solution was to add a pillow to the seat. I'm still too far away from the steering wheel, but at least I can live with it now.
Wow. I'm really curious. Low compared to what? What was your previous car? I find the seats, combined with the stock suspension and tires, make for the highest seating position of any car I've ever owned. I read one member's post where he/she wrote that sitting in the Yaris was like sitting in an SUV, and I almost agree with that member.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, leg, pain, pedal, tall