Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
narkeeso

Drives: White Yaris Liftback
JDM Parts on U.S. Yaris Liftback

My first post here. I just bought my Yaris Liftback about 4 months ago and I'm loving everything about it. I bought it mainly as a commuter car. I won't be putting in any performance parts but I am into cosmetics.

I was flipping through some of these threads in search of compatibility of JDM parts with a US Yaris. I was on www.japanparts.com and noticed a lot of notes saying "NOT FOR RS" I'm assuming RS is what Type-R is for Honda? The sports model?

Can anyone assist in making sure I am looking at compatible parts for my Yaris?
narkeeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
The RS version is not sold in the US. I know it is sold though in Canada. As far as body kits go from what I've read, there is modifications needed to fit JDM bumpers on a USDM hatch. If you stick to side skirts made for the 3dr, those should be fine.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
narkeeso

Hmm okay, yeah I don't want it to be a pain in the ass. I found Kaminari here on the forums which seems to be a USDM kit. Are there any other kits available here for easy installation?

Sorry if these are all questions that have been asked but I always try to do a search and flip through a few pages to see if I can find my answer.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
acdaazn

Drives: Toyota
NADM's Bumper is longer, both front and back, but the chassis itself is NCP91 (RS) and also engine is the same as the RS.

Any parts from Japanparts regarding bumper wise, it will not fit. If you are really determined to JDM-fy your Yaris LB, your only options as I see right now:
1) Order a bumper brace from Japan and new bumper covers so they are the same size as the rest of the world. Can't say you will pass your inspection when the time comes.
2) Seibon has made some lips for NADM Yaris LB, they are modeled after the JDM Modellista Option A, but fitted for NADM.

As far as mechanically, any RS parts should fit the NADM Yaris.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
narkeeso

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a little more work than I'd like. I think I'll stick to the basics. Maybe I'll look for the Seibon kit. I did like the Modellista kits I saw.

However, I was wondering what about other JDM parts, JDM tail lights? interior parts? are bumpers the only ones that aren't compatible with Yaris LB?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
acdaazn

Drives: Toyota
Tail lights should be fine, interior parts are fine as long as they are not left right defined. It would be easier if you make a list of JDM stuff you want to put on your car and I can tell you if it fits or not.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
narkeeso

Actually, I was going to do that but I thought it might be annoying. I'll compile a list of JDM parts I was looking at and post it here. Hopefully this will help other people.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
narkeeso

After going back to that site and being on these forums for many hours and looking at what can and can't be done I've ruled out that the only thing I think I'd want done is this:

MODELLISTA INTERIOR PANEL SET
Black. For RS grade and RHD only.

and even then I saw the paint thread and it looks pretty simple so I might just paint it myself.

thanks for the offer to help though
Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The Kaminari kit is made for USDM and as far as I know it's the only one so far. Because of differing crash standards, the Japan and US bumpers are different sizes. If you are willing to remove the front or rear cross brace, you can fit a Japan bumper on a US car -- but it's a deathtrap with that arrangement (IMO).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
narkeeso

Yeah, I'm definitely not going for the JDM kits. I'd like to go with the Kaminari kit but the damned guy at the site never picks up his phone so I can't find a distributor. Plus I think I'm going to hold out on the kit till I get everything else I want done.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I can get the kit for you. PM me for pricing and details -- you're in So. Cal., so you could pick it up.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote