Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
Lightbulb help installing new headunit with navigation

hello....
I didn't have a problem installing my eclipse AVN headunit into my last car (subaru impreza) but i'm a little hesitant with the yaris.
I've looked over plenty of technical specs, bought everything I could possibly need, but I just wanted to check a few things...

Is the ECU/ECM under the hood? Will I be able to get to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (I believe it's violet/white) easily without removing anything? I need to tap it for the navigation. If it is under the hood, where are the holes in the firewall for me to run the wire into the interior?

I believe I have everything I need to remove the headunit.

what's the best wire to tap to simulate grounding to bypass the safety feature so i can watch dvds while driving (no i really don't plan on doing this, but i don't like restrictions). I was planning on just tapping into a ground on the wiring harness itself.

Lastly, I will need to run the GPS antenna to the top of the trunk. What is my best path? I'm planning on running from the headunit across to the door sill and underneath the carpet probably on the driver side.

thanks for any help you can provide
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
duck

bump

where is the ECU?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
duck

i've put it off long enough trying to get some research but haven't found much even with shop manuals and i can't say this thread has gotten many replies.

i'm going to call the parking garage today and try to park somewhere on the street (really hard to do in manhattan) while I poke around and try to install my eclipse AVN.

my concerns:
- popping off the center dashboard pieces so I can remove the stock radio.
- finding the ecu and the vehicle speed sensor (is it under the hood?)
- finding a hole in the firewall to get a wire through to the ECU. is there one on both driver and passenger sides?

i already bought the wiring harness and double-DIN dash kit (to fill in the sides). hope that is all i need besides some random wiring stuff I already have.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Check with Crutchfield, they might be able to hook you up
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
duck

turns out crutchfield DOES know where the vehicle speed sensor is, but they won't help me if i don't have an invoice number. :(
Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
duck

found this thread through the similar threads search. yay!
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4920

says the VSS is INSIDE the car, whew.
I guess it's also at the ECU, wherever that is, but as long as it's the right wire, I can tap it from anywhere.

thanks for all the help. i probably should just pay to have someone do it like most of the other navi users on here. oh well, I'll give it a shot first.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
why install the gps antenna in the trunk?? just stick that bad boy underneath the dash where it has a clear view of the sky. no need to run wires anywhere!

--B