Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
maxthehax

Drives: Echo HB Turbo 6Speed
Misfire into multiple cylinder!

Till last week something started. Sometimes when on low-mid load, the engine feels like it cut-off for a second only, and it started to bug me. I was still able to drive it normally without major problem.

I though it was my MAF getting too dirty, so I cleaned it. It did not cure the problem and Im not sure if it helped. Car was still driving perfect except that little cut-off.

Today, I started to intall my oil cooler. I did not finish the job because of a malfunction in a part. So I simply put back my oil filter and some intercooler piping on.
Batterie was plugged all the time.
I cutted, I grinded, with 2 tools, a grinder and my dremel.
And I played with my oil filter...

Those things are the only one I did... This morning I start the car and it runs like a Cam'd muscle car or a subaru.
3 CEL; P0300, P0302, P0303, well I think they are all missfire into one or multiple cylinder.

Could I have damage something electrical? Coils, or the FIC? Maybe a fuse? Because I used my electrical tools on the car.

This morning when my car was missfiring like shitt, I started by removing all intercooler piping, clean the inside, reclean the MAF.
Now the problem is almost gone, I can take-off from the first gear, and the engine idle a lot better. But it is still not good, on load it look like it missfire/cut-off.

I will try to change that MAF for a new one, also I think it would be good to change my O2 sensors they are old as hell.
maxthehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
maxthehax

UPDATES

This morning the car was bad as hell, missfire into multiple cylinder again. P0300, P0302, P0303, P0304...

I simply removed my AEM FIC, replugged like OEM, the car runs fine now but very very rich! The stock ecu cannot take my 370cc injectors

So I think my FIC was the problem...

I will reinstall my stock injectors, or I will simply fools my plugs running that rich. 10:1 AFR on low low low load... haha 12:1 idle
Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
those things are always having issues. So many units have problems. Hope they send you a new unit.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Do you have the plug and play or is it wired in?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
maxthehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Do you have the plug and play or is it wired in?
I have the plug n play harness... Thats why it took me 5 mins removing it and plugging the oem back.

I need to find out whats the best standalone ECU to get for my car, it seems to be so big of a job...

I lost so much power all over my rpm/load range without the FIC, thats incridible!...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
It might be the unit but most issues with it are due to wiring it up. But you have the pnp harness so I don't know. I heard sone had problems with the boomslang harness tho. Ask Scott
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
maxthehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
It might be the unit but most issues with it are due to wiring it up. But you have the pnp harness so I don't know. I heard sone had problems with the boomslang harness tho. Ask Scott
I ran the FIC for a year now, It was fine until about a week. And a morning it simply wont work like I described in first post...

Anyway I would just like to learn more about the work implicated into installing a full standalone ecu on my car. I dont want to plug a piggyback again...

Unfortunatly there is no documentations about installing lets say a universal EMS on my car...

Last edited by maxthehax; 07-19-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
maxthehax

I have updates;

Even if my FIC worked ``fine`` for a year before messin up, I decided to take a close look at the wiring. Lets says the lack of PLug N play standalone system and their very high prices make me think about it a couple days. I come to the conclusion that I already spent enough and I have other project in life (dont worry I still love my car like before! lol)

So to make sure I have a 100% correct connections I decided to buy a PLUG N PLAY harness for the scion xb, sold by dezod.

I will give more infos when I receive that harness and try it out!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ You didn't buy from us?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I have the plug n play harness... Thats why it took me 5 mins removing it and plugging the oem back.
Even with custom wiring, I believe you can use the Null connectors that come with the FI/C and disable it. I did that on mine before my tuning was done.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Even with custom wiring, I believe you can use the Null connectors that come with the FI/C and disable it. I did that on mine before my tuning was done.

Yup....I am still using my bypass since I can't seem to idle for shit with this replacement motor. Using same maps as other motor which would idle fine, yet with this one it won't. Stupid.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
maxthehax

Quote:
^ You didn't buy from us?
Lol, do you really make a plug n play for the echo?

I though you were but for the Yaris...

Updates;
My package just passed the Canada border. I should reveice it during the week.

I feel a lot like I will plug everything and it will still be the same lol. At least I will know its not a wiring issue.

Q: Does it happen sometimes that FIC/piggyback unit could lost some datas in memories?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

A: It's easy to reload your map, and see if anything changes.

Quote:
Lol, do you really make a plug n play for the echo? I though you were but for the Yaris...
You're on our forums -- you know we serve all brands of cars and source parts for everyone. If I don't have a chance to earn your business, I can't be a vendor.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
maxthehax

Quote:
A: It's easy to reload your map, and see if anything changes.

You're on our forums -- you know we serve all brands of cars and source parts for everyone. If I don't have a chance to earn your business, I can't be a vendor.
I understand :P

And dont worry I already rock`s a couple of your parts :P

I just received your new fuel rail, very nice finish. If I can get that FIC working again, it will be my next install.

Btw, off topic, are you able to source me a carbon fiber hood for my echo/vitz hatch?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I'll check, but probably not from the USA, I don't think we had the Echo hatch here, or very many of them -- maybe someone else knows better than me.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
maxthehax

UPDATES;

Harness installed. I still get missfiring, I can move the car but not drive it. It runs rough...

I want to plug a laptop on it. What should I look at first if my problem is missfiring?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #17
chaditotx

Drives: 2007 3dr hb 5sp
What do your plugs look like? Coilpacks? Did you nick anything on the factory harness? Crank position sensor?
chaditotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
maxthehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaditotx View Post
What do your plugs look like? Coilpacks? Did you nick anything on the factory harness? Crank position sensor?
Everything was alright... The FIC unit itself was the problem.

I changed to a new unit with the same PnP harness, everything is fine now.

Thanks for inputs everyone!