Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Bridges = No Salt Zones.....Is this an NYC only thing ?

I just returned from NJ/NYC. While I was there, I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, and then back to Manhattan. I saw a 'No Salt Zone Begins' sign at the entrance to the Manhattan side of the bridge. I just did an internet search re this and one post suggested that this is done to reduce water pollution. This same post indicated that the other bridges in NYC follow the same practice. I've driven across the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge and the GW Bridge (not during Winter)...and I don't remember seeing that sign. Here in my little corner of Texas, the very few times I've seen salt on the roads...it was ONLY on bridges.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Some petty battles only grow but do nothing else:

http://youtu.be/qeilxKluTCU

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
We put salt everywhere here... And it doesn't matter if it's on the bridge or not. Rain water go straight into the river here, so all the salt we put on the road end up at the same place than the salt put on the bridges...
Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Salt accelerates the corrosion of steel bridges and steel-reinforced concrete structures.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Frankly I think all roads should be no-salt zones...
Old 12-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Some petty battles only grow but do nothing else:

http://youtu.be/qeilxKluTCU
. This last Saturday night I showed my ticket and walked into one of the NJ Transit waiting rooms at Penn Station. There was only one seat available. It was behind a guy who was stretched out and 'asleep' and his head was extended way behind his seat. The seat was on the aisle...and I really wanted to rest my feet...so I edged into the seat sideways. I twisted around and I said to the lady sitting next to me "Only in New York". The lady laughed and said "You're braver than I am. I thought about figuring out how to sit there, but waited for the seat I'm in now" (she wouldn't have fit sitting the way I was sitting). Immediately after that lady stopped speaking, a guy came over, patted me on the back, and said "My buddy just filmed the whole thing, and he's posting it to You Tube"..... I thought about taking a picture of the stretched out guy but I wasn't sure if he was really asleep...might spit on me if he was awake.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
We put salt everywhere here... And it doesn't matter if it's on the bridge or not. Rain water go straight into the river here, so all the salt we put on the road end up at the same place than the salt put on the bridges...
Very interesting.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Salt accelerates the corrosion of steel bridges and steel-reinforced concrete structures.
One of the hits from my internet search did mention this. I guess officials in my little corner of Texas don't worry about that...I'd imagine because the need arises so infrequently.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post

That too. If you google Champlain Bridge Montreal you would know what it does.

Anyways, we have a bridge that risk falling anytime now. lol
Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
One of the hits from my internet search did mention this. I guess officials in my little corner of Texas don't worry about that...I'd imagine because the need arises so infrequently.

If the salt water are directed away from the structure, then it isn't a problem.

In Montreal, we had salt eat away the structure for 35 years before someone said that isn't right. Now it's too late.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hmm Hmmm which do I want death from bridge collapse or death by NYC driver on icy streets?
Old 12-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Jcp123

Sand?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
If the salt water are directed away from the structure, then it isn't a problem.
. It wouldn't surprise me though if the people here didn't make that provision in the design. In almost 6 1/2 years I've only seen salt on those bridges on two different days years apart.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Hmm Hmmm which do I want death from bridge collapse or death by NYC driver on icy streets?
I think I'd take the bridge collapse. The law may be different in New York (from many other states), as I notice that many drivers in Manhattan couldn't care less if there are people in the crosswalk.....who in many states would have the right of way. As long as they determine they won't hit the pedestrian, they'll turn through the crosswalk after stopping at the red light...sometimes coming pretty close to a pedestrian. Sometimes, If a driver stops on the red and then waits until the person in the crosswalk passes in front of their car, someone behind that person will honk at them . Pedestrians will cross against a red light on a one way street (or even half of a two way street....Park Avenue, for example...if the next car coming is far enough away.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Anyways, we have a bridge that risk falling anytime now. lol
There is something going on (coincidence ?) with me and the time frame 7 weeks. I drove across the I-35 bridge over the Mississippi River in Minnesota, in my blue Yaris, 7 weeks before it collapsed on August 1st, 2007. I also stopped, 7 weeks before the incident...and also in my blue Yaris, at the Safeway (on my way from my hotel to the Apple store) in the small shopping center where Rep. Gabby Giffords and others were shot in Tucson, AZ on January 8th, 2011.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
Jcp123

Quote:
There is something going on (coincidence ?) with me and the time frame 7 weeks. I drove across the I-35 bridge over the Mississippi River in Minnesota, in my blue Yaris, 7 weeks before it collapsed on August 1st, 2007. I also stopped, 7 weeks before the incident...and also in my blue Yaris, at the Safeway (on my way from my hotel to the Apple store) in the small shopping center where Rep. Gabby Giffords and others were shot in Tucson, AZ on January 8th, 2011.
Give us an itenerary of where you have been, and I think we'll stay the next state over 7 weeks later :D
Old 12-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post
Give us an itenerary of where you have been, and I think we'll stay the next state over 7 weeks later :D

P.S. As of now, I'm only planning one more long distance trip in my blue Yaris...to NJ/NYC again. Some places are better reached by car (Montauk, North Fork, plus some places along the Hudson)....and last week I heard about a parking lot adjacent to Newark Penn Station where you can park for the whole day for $5. Blue Yaris = less likely to get stolen from that lot.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 12-10-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #18
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
I'll avoid the Brooklyn Bridge 7 weeks from now. Manhattan Bridge here I come.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote