Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #37
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
Castrol and Mobil 1 are still crude/synthetic blends...
Actually 90%-98% cude base stock in Mobil 1
it's a group III synthetic meaning it's a mineral oil that has been refined using the hydrocracked method. Add in a bit of esters and POAs and slap on a lable and call it 100% sytnthetic. Mobil 1 took Castrol to court YEARS ago when they came out with the syntec line for this very reason... But because the finished product no longer resembles the crude base it was made from Castrol won the case and since then 98% of all synthetics are made this way because it's WAY cheaper to make and allows for HUGE profits

If you want to use a REAL synthetic that does not contain mineral oil look up Amsoil, REDLINE or Royal purple. these are pure Group IV or V synthetic lubricants (not oil) (Ester or POA based synthetic lubricants)
we call them oils so we don't confuse the mass public...

Some of these oils only need to be changed every 6 months to 1 year or 35,000miles
figure that out and that's a huge savings over the years you own your car

Not according to the Mobil 1 website:

FAQs for Mobil 1

I thought Mobil 1 as a full synthetic already provided the protection my high-mileage car needs. Do I really need to switch off Mobil 1 to your High Mileage product for my high-mileage car?

I'm currently using Mobil Clean High Mileage with good results. Why should I change to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, which costs more?

Why are you reintroducing Mobil 1 15W-50? Have there been any changes to the formulation, or is it identical to the previous product?

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

What's the difference between a fully synthetic and a synthetic blend motor oil?

What's the overall benefit of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology?

I thought Mobil 1 as a full synthetic already provided the protection my high-mileage car needs. Do I really need to switch off Mobil 1 to your High Mileage product for my high-mileage car?

Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed for high mileage vehicles that have been using conventional oils. It's true that most Mobil 1 vehicles with 75,000+ miles should be in excellent condition and would not require some of the Mobil 1 High Mileage benefits. However, most cars on the road today do not use synthetic oils, so we developed this oil specifically for these cars that would benefit from switching off conventional oil.

I'm currently using Mobil Clean High Mileage with good results. Why should I change to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, which costs more?

If your vehicle has been maintained well, Mobil Clean High Mileage represents an excellent choice. However, if you believe your engine may have sludge through less-than-adequate maintenance practices, Mobil 1 High Mileage may be the more suitable selection. Mobil 1 High Mileage helps reduce the sludge that other oils can leave behind which can result in extended engine life. For severe cases where sludge and other heavy deposits are present, shorter oil change intervals of 3,000 miles are recommended as clean-up proceeds.

Why are you reintroducing Mobil 1 15W-50? Have there been any changes to the formulation, or is it identical to the previous product?

Mobil 1 15W-50 is being reintroduced based on popular demand. Mobil 1 15W-50 provides higher viscosity, designed to provide extra protection for performance vehicles and vehicles that operate in severe service, such as towing, hauling and racing. Additionally, Mobil 1 15W-50 contains higher levels of anti-wear (ZDDP or Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) that may be required for certain racing applications and camshaft designs. This is a new Mobil 1 15W-50 formulation and is not the same as the product that was marketed a few years ago.

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

What's the difference between a fully synthetic and a synthetic blend motor oil?

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional base oil.
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #38
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf180th View Post
When I test drove a yaris it only had like 30 miles (I went home with it that night) I left the lot and waited till I came to the first stop and then let her loose, I chirped the tired shifting into second and beat the hell out of the car for about 15 minutes. Currently have 11,000 miles on car and no problems.

11,000 and no problems, you say? Big lick....lets see what you say at 150,000 miles.....any car driven in any manner will be problem free at 11,000 miles....

Funny I hear all this advise, and then I wonder if these guys know more then the people that wrote the Yaris factory manual

...gotta love the internet....you get all kinds of "expert" advise....
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #39
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
burnouts.... just do lots of burnouts