Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
if anyone ever makes a bull bar for the front of the yaris count me in. I would snatch one up so quick and slap some rally tires on that bad boy as well as a trailer hitch, fog lights, roof rack and anything else I could possibly put to make it look like I was going on some kind of crazy econo-box powered expedition.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
if anyone ever makes a bull bar for the front of the yaris count me in. I would snatch one up so quick and slap some rally tires on that bad boy as well as a trailer hitch, fog lights, roof rack and anything else I could possibly put to make it look like I was going on some kind of crazy econo-box powered expedition.
+1 lol
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
NuMystic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4D Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
+1 lol
You do realize he's not even joking right?

Being that I don't have a shop or heavy metal working tools, is my best bet to just find a shop that works on a lot of burly SUV's and ask how much they'd charge?

I'm looking for something like this, but can't even imagine where they'd mount the thing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/com...F0?ie=UTF8&i=0
NuMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I bought some tubing last fall to experiment with making one for Crashy 2, but haven't gotten around to doing so yet. The ideal mounting place for strength would be where the front bumper member bolts to the supports for it. That would place the mounting of it on one side at the tow hook cover and the mirror of that on the other side.

Making one that mounts without having to cut holes in the bumper would be difficult, since the Yaris does not have a front lower frame.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
i am totally serious :D

rally yaris FTW
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I bought some tubing last fall to experiment with making one for Crashy 2, but haven't gotten around to doing so yet. The ideal mounting place for strength would be where the front bumper member bolts to the supports for it. That would place the mounting of it on one side at the tow hook cover and the mirror of that on the other side.

Making one that mounts without having to cut holes in the bumper would be difficult, since the Yaris does not have a front lower frame.
could it not bolt to the lower rad support? where the plastic skid plate would bolt to?

you could come out from below the front bumper with some flat steel and then weld up the butt end of the bull guard? only part thats stopping me from attempting this is the fact i have no way to bend steel tubing.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
could it not bolt to the lower rad support? where the plastic skid plate would bolt to?

you could come out from below the front bumper with some flat steel and then weld up the butt end of the bull guard? only part thats stopping me from attempting this is the fact i have no way to bend steel tubing.
The lower radiator support is paper thin, so just pushing down on the bar would cause it to twist. The only things I would trust to bolt it to are the long bumper piece (which is incredible strong) or the mounts for it.

I have a bender and have some 1" and 1-5/8" pipe that I was planning on experimenting with. I was going to start with the 1", as I don't want it to be too heavy. I made Crashy's brush guard out of the 1-5/8" tubing and it weighs over 25 lbs.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
yaris2010RS

wow thats alot of weight infront of the wheels. also with that kind of weight the leverage on the lower rad support would be huge
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
wow thats alot of weight infront of the wheels. also with that kind of weight the leverage on the lower rad support would be huge
Exactly. In Crashy's case, the obliterated lower radiator support was replaced with part of the plow frame, and the bar mounts to that. Also, Crashy's 4" front suspension lift counteracts the weight of the bar (and the plow, when it is on).

With the 1" tubing that I bought, the entire thing should weigh under 10 lbs, if I go all the way out around the fogs, and less than 5 lbs for a bar that only covers the middle.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
W.A.S.P
I love my Yaris!

Drives: White Yaris Liftback 2 Dr. AT
Guys. A few days ago I saw a white LB Yaris just like mine in North Jersey, with a chrome bull bar. It looked pretty good.

W.A.S.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
yaris2010RS

^no way! sick!