Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
VoleexC20R

Drives: Great Wall Motors Voleex C20R
Manual Transmission Bellhousing and Axle Dimesions

I acquired a Great Wall Voleex C20R with a GW4G15 engine, a copy of a Toyota 1NZ. The Voleex was caged and just raced at Gingerman Raceway in the 24 Hours of Lemons. Great Wall built and outstanding 1NZ copy, and it happily ran at 5000-6500 RPM for 8 straight hours on Saturday and Sunday to run away with a class win.

Second gear, however, has a very bad synchro and I'd like to replace the transmission with a used unit and install a trans cooler. It also would be good to start collecting spares and build out my parts interchangeability list.

Does anyone have a dimensional print of the bellhousing for the C54 transmission? It looks like the page with a comparison of the C54 to C150 isn't available.

Longer term, I'd like to work on the engine (and acquire a spare 1NZ) with cams, stronger internals, and - if I'm able to decipher the ECU - raise the redline a bit.
VoleexC20R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Welcome to YW!

I'm so bummed that they didn't allow spectators last weekend, otherwise I would have been there! What class did you win? I've been dreaming of running my 2ZR swapped Vios in LeMons once I get a cage in it.

The C5X family (C50, C54, C56, C59) in the US will all (generally) bolt up to the 1NZ. For the ones with different starter locations you can swap the bellhousing onto whatever gearbox you want to use--that sometimes requires a bearing/bushing change on the pinion shaft.

I don't think any of the modern C5X gearboxes use an external oil cooler or even have a pump, so you'd have to get creative with that side of it.

The C54 isn't commonly available here, but I suspect that it only has different gear ratios and mounting bosses than the ones that are. I've got a thread with a comparison of the C50/56/59 around here somewhere...

I don't know that anyone has done a mechanical print of the bell housing and published it but I could do a paper transfer from one of my spares and snail mail it if you haven't found anything locally to cannibalize.

Most of the aftermarket support for the 1NZ is from Thailand or elsewhere in the Pacific, basically zero options here in the US. I think I've seen a thread about raising the rev limit in the OEM ECU but I don't recall what the secret sauce was to make it happen.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Zedicus

Drives: scion xb
i have a spare 1NZ and i am in the midwest. you can have it if you are close enough to make the trip. the head is in good shape but the block would need 1 size over pistons put in it. includes new water pump, coils, maybe a stock exhaust manifold if i can find it. it is pretty complete.

as for the tranny. the C50, and C59 are easyish to get in the states. remember that with minor mods the C6x and C150 should all go on also.
Zedicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
VoleexC20R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Welcome to YW!

I'm so bummed that they didn't allow spectators last weekend, otherwise I would have been there! What class did you win? I've been dreaming of running my 2ZR swapped Vios in LeMons once I get a cage in it.
Thank you! It was great to finally be back on track. The Voleex ran like a train, and we ended up winning Class C by 30 laps and in 14th place overall out of 76 cars. Staying on track the whole time pays dividends. We won Class B in 2018, were overall Class A winners at Gingerman last year, and with the Class C win last weekend, we've got them all now.

For the ECU, I race with the Frankenstein Motorworks guy (MR2 swap kits with 2GR V6s and 2AR 4 cyls - I've raced the 2AR MR2 and it is phenominal). He knows ECUs well and might have something, but Great Wall could use totally different programming, however I doubt it.

I need to replace bearings all around and check ball joints, in addition to figuring out how to lower the car - i'll start measuring stuff when I'm in there.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
VoleexC20R

That sounds awesome! I'm in NE Indiana, but might be driving to CO in the fall if the September Lemons High Plains Raceway in Denver happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedicus View Post
i have a spare 1NZ and i am in the midwest. you can have it if you are close enough to make the trip. the head is in good shape but the block would need 1 size over pistons put in it. includes new water pump, coils, maybe a stock exhaust manifold if i can find it. it is pretty complete.

as for the tranny. the C50, and C59 are easyish to get in the states. remember that with minor mods the C6x and C150 should all go on also.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Zedicus

Drives: scion xb
i sent you a PM with driving info.

have you considered microsquirt? i really debated building a sand rail with this spare 1nz and microsquirt would be a pretty easy low cost custom ECU. it would be perfect in a simple build, like a sand rail or racecar.
Zedicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoleexC20R View Post
Thank you! It was great to finally be back on track. The Voleex ran like a train, and we ended up winning Class C by 30 laps and in 14th place overall out of 76 cars. Staying on track the whole time pays dividends. We won Class B in 2018, were overall Class A winners at Gingerman last year, and with the Class C win last weekend, we've got them all now.

For the ECU, I race with the Frankenstein Motorworks guy (MR2 swap kits with 2GR V6s and 2AR 4 cyls - I've raced the 2AR MR2 and it is phenominal). He knows ECUs well and might have something, but Great Wall could use totally different programming, however I doubt it.

I need to replace bearings all around and check ball joints, in addition to figuring out how to lower the car - i'll start measuring stuff when I'm in there.
Congrats! Looks like you'll be in class B next time?

I think I talked with him when I went last summer--had a white MRS with a 2GR in it? Good guy, had lots of great info for a prospective LeMons driver.

I was going to suggest looking at Yaris sedan suspension parts but I have no idea what unibody the GW is based on. Probably something proprietary from China?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote