Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Improved Factory Exhuast Pipe for '08 Liftback

Does anyone know if Toyota fitted the improved flow exhaust part # 17410-21800 on the '08 liftbacks? I have an exhaust odor (sulfur dioxide stink) in the car when accelerating onto the highway after tooling aroound town - it's pretty heavy odor and besides, it's not good to have exhaust coming in the cabin! There is a TSB on this (TSB # EG035-06) for 06 an 07 but dont know if the factory already upgraded for '08. The old exhaust part number is: 17410-21540. I called customer care and they dont know but are setting me up with a zone rep in a few days. Dont know if this is for the front pipe and the cat, either.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

Nobody? I am gonna go to the dealer and check the part numbers with the parts guys and see if it applies to 2008 MY Liftbacks. Below is the actual TSB:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T-EG035-06(Excessive Sulfur Odor (Revised) ).pdf (24.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
i have also noticed it in my yaris. I check for leaks around the welds and gaskets in the exhaust but nothing. Then I also made a center exhaust on my Yaris and the tips com out of the bumper about half an inch but still it come around when I peg it. I have checked everything from trunk seals to every weld in the exhaust also hoses up front that carry gases and everything seems fine. I think it is just like the rides at the fair "that is just the way they sound"
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

I thibnk there is high backpressure in ULEV spec catalytic converter and it leaks out around the header to cat gaskets. The new pipe should eliminate this leak and give a good power boost! Free from toyota if yyour under 80K miles i think, under the emissions part warranty.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
^^ NO POWER BOOST here but i did get rid of the sulfer smell with the updated pipe. i do believe that starting with 2008 the newer pipe was used.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
it's a tsb. just go in and complain about it. they'll drive it. they'll replace it.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
TheSilkySmooth

Just came from the dealer parts dept, he looked up the pipe part#, and the 3dr 2008 liftback has the "old" part # ending in ...540 listed - so i'm still good to go, unless they want to duplicate the exhaust smell. They never smell or hear anything wrong, and when they do they just say, "they all run like that". Maybe it'll be different this time? I just buzzed my head to the skin and got a mean looking goatee going, may I can silently intimidate them ...

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 11-07-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

FYI: the TSB only applies to 07 liftbacks and that pipe part number is for 2007-2010liftbacks. which doesn't mean you still can't go in and complain. just be sure that there IS a sulfer smell or else you might get a NPF diagnosis. (NO PROBLEM FOUND)

Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

Thanks ROCKLAND for the part lookup link - I was thinking that part price was $1600- given it's the whole exhaust system from front cat thru the rear exhaust pipe. The sulfur smell comes and goes and prob depends on the amt of sulfur in the fuel - I usually have to carbon it up by driving slow for a while for the smell to happen when you floor it. If I smell it periodically, thats all that matters to me - I dont care if they duplicate the smell. Isnt there an objective backpressure test that can be done? OTW I'm calling the NHSTA and my laywer. NEVER should exhaust come inside a fast moving car - ITS POISON. F-ing crappy little catalytc converters with restrictor in them! According to customer care, The Rep was suppose to call me w/in 3 buisness days and they didnt. I have a case # assigned.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 11-07-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Thanks ROCKLAND for the part lookup link - I was thinking that part price was $1600- given it's the whole exhaust system from front cat thru the rear exhaust pipe. The sulfur smell comes and goes and prob depends on the amt of sulfur in the fuel - I usually have to carbon it up by driving slow for a while for the smell to happen when you floor it. If I smell it periodically, thats all that matters to me - I dont care if they duplicate the smell. Isnt there an objective backpressure test that can be done? OTW I'm calling the NHSTA and my laywer. NEVER should exhaust come inside a fast moving car - ITS POISON. F-ing crappy little catalytc converters with restrictor in them! According to customer care, The Rep was suppose to call me w/in 3 buisness days and they didnt. I have a case # assigned.
hope everything works out.....

Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
TheSilkySmooth

The dealer customer care rep never called me. They were suppose to call w/in 3 days. I've been busy on a construction project, so I'll follow up when I get done with my house. House 1st, car 2nd (at least THIS month).