Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
rwseattle
Rwseattle

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris (BASE)
Lowering with 16"

Hey,

I'm driving a 2007 Yaris HB.

I will receive my new 16" wheels / tires 205/45/16 next week. I'm debating a lowering set.

Question:
How much should I drop the Yaris with 16" 205/45/16? Anyone?

FYI: I will add pictures after I receive the wheels.

Thank you for your feedback. Rwseattle.
rwseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Get Tanabe DF's i believe its 1.6" front 1.8" rear??
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Go as low as you can :)
Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra

That low.

Here is the thread with all the details.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3550
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
i'd say go with 205/50 only because i went with 205/45 on my 16's and i think 50 profile would look better...
Old 01-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
rwseattle
Rwseattle

I appriciate the tire size note but, If you read all the threads on tire size you will find that everyone has a different opion. I used the tires calc and with 16" wheels 205/45/16 is closest to the original size 175/65/14. Calc results "speedo reads 60mph, you are actually traveling 60.8mph 1.3%. With 205/50/16 the actuall speed is 62.9mph 4.9%. I believe you should stay under 3%. I will post a thread later and let you know how they preform. It shouldn't be a big deal. I will add springs and need to know if anyone installed springs with the tire size 205/45/16?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Try putting a GPS in your car to check your actual speed against your speedometer. I did and found I was going slower than my speedo says. It seems like all new cars say your going a little faster than you really are which means your racking up miles faster, and getting worst mileage, than you should be. If I get new tires/wheels I'll be going up 3-5% in diameter to set the speedo right.

My car: 70MPH=67 actual MPH
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
rwseattle
Rwseattle

That's interesting. Thx.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
rwseattle
Rwseattle

DF210 level?

One more question,

Would the DF210 lowering springs level the car nicely?

Thx.
Rwseattle
Old 01-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
Go4th

Drives: Yaris S Sedan color Flint Mica
that dont mean your odom is wrong.. check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Try putting a GPS in your car to check your actual speed against your speedometer. I did and found I was going slower than my speedo says. It seems like all new cars say your going a little faster than you really are which means your racking up miles faster, and getting worst mileage, than you should be. If I get new tires/wheels I'll be going up 3-5% in diameter to set the speedo right.

My car: 70MPH=67 actual MPH
That don’t mean your odometer is wrong.
They may just have the speedometer calibrated a few mph off on the top end on purpose. Lots of times your dead on speed on the slower mph than the higher mph. They want you to think that you’re going that speed to help you.
Kind of like your clock. You may have it set 5 mins fast so when that alarm clock goes off you actually have five mins more.
Also I went to NC one time and the GPS said I was off route and actually I was on the exact road I was to be on per its directions. I switched lanes and it said I was going the right way. Switched lanes back it thought I was off route again. So even that GPS thing is not right sometimes. I figure it was the elevation and maybe the GPS was not updated that this is a 6 lane highway.
Go4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Go4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwseattle View Post
I appriciate the tire size note but, If you read all the threads on tire size you will find that everyone has a different opion. I used the tires calc and with 16" wheels 205/45/16 is closest to the original size 175/65/14. Calc results "speedo reads 60mph, you are actually traveling 60.8mph 1.3%. With 205/50/16 the actuall speed is 62.9mph 4.9%. I believe you should stay under 3%. I will post a thread later and let you know how they preform. It shouldn't be a big deal. I will add springs and need to know if anyone installed springs with the tire size 205/45/16?
Sounds like you need to decide how much you want to drop your car then.

1 and 2 Look at the pictures above, and you will see the amount of drop each kit will give, from your stock height.
TDF121 - Front 1.6" / Rear 1.8"
TNF121 - Front 1.1" / Rear 1.3"

3 The TRD Red Lowering Spring Set lowers the car 1.2” in both front and rear
The Black Yaris at/near the bottom of the page.

4 Springtech springs 1.7 in drop F\R

These are the 4 I can find right off the bat for now..
Old 01-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
They may just have the speedometer calibrated a few mph off on the top end on purpose. Lots of times your dead on speed on the slower mph than the higher mph. They want you to think that you’re going that speed to help you.
Kind of like your clock. You may have it set 5 mins fast so when that alarm clock goes off you actually have five mins more.
Also I went to NC one time and the GPS said I was off route and actually I was on the exact road I was to be on per its directions. I switched lanes and it said I was going the right way. Switched lanes back it thought I was off route again. So even that GPS thing is not right sometimes. I figure it was the elevation and maybe the GPS was not updated that this is a 6 lane highway.
You could be right although I think it would be rediculous if they did that??? I'll check my miles vs. the actual mile markers. Also, location of a road has nothing to do with measuring speed. Older GPS maps, and newer ones, may not be up to date, but the fact is your GPS doesn't need to know what road your on to calculate speed. They calulate speed based on a series of points and the time it takes to move from one to the next. Even the small handheld cheap ones can do that.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
If your speedometer is off at high speeds, it's off at low speeds too. The reason you don't notice, and think it's dead on, is because it's "less" off.
Example: 70(speedometer)MPH=67(actual)MPH - 4.28% off

This means at 30(speedo)MPH, 4.28% off is 28.71(actual)MPH

1.28 MPH is not noticable on a speedometer but is still there and hence the speedometer is still incorrect. This is why higher speeds are required to see speedometer dicrepincies.

How does it help me to think I'm going to fast?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #14
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwseattle View Post
FYI,

With a 185/60/15 stock size a 205/50/16 is 1.4% slower and a 205/45/16 is 2.0% faster.

I like the look of the 50 series better. It fills the wheelwell out more and makes the car appear lower with a more agressive stance.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Go4th

Quote:

How does it help me to think I'm going to fast?

Quote:
You could be right although I think it would be rediculous if they did that??? .
I believe it’s a Gov’t thing or a small margin of error for the manufacture to save their ass... It doesn’t seem ridiculous to me. It may keep you going a little slower. Helps keep you honest I guess. Just as I tried to explain with the alarm clock analogy, meaning you may include a small amount of error on purpose to your self to help insure you are on time.

Quote:
Also, location of a road has nothing to do with measuring speed. Older GPS maps, and newer ones, may not be up to date, .
You repeated a thought I already mentioned.
Quote:
I figure it was the elevation and maybe the GPS was not updated that this is a 6 lane highway.

I am no expert on any of this. I simply am trying to give a different perspective or idea for you to consider based on an error I found. Therefore proving there could be other types of errors.
This is simply my thoughts other wise I would have put in some sources for everyone.

It would be cool to have a stop watch set the cruise on 60mph on a leval hwy and see if you go exactly a mile in one min. i dont have a watch with seconds or stop watch to try it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #16
PetersRedYaris

You have some good ideas Go4th. The timer thing, I'll try it.

I suppose it could be car manufacturers covering themselves. The downfall is, over-estimating speed means over-estimating miles per tank, which means mileage is poorer than it appears.

It all a big conspiracy, the oil companies got a grip on the government, their feeding us a bunch of lies man! (Cars)
Old 02-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #17
rwseattle
Rwseattle

Added 16" with 205/45/16

Little bit more road noise, but not bad. See pic.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
rwseattle
Rwseattle

Sorry pixz didn't attached correctly. I will post pictures later or check out the little pic under rwseattle.

Last edited by rwseattle; 02-03-2007 at 08:42 PM.