Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Unhappy Big rust hole at rear control arm

I was about to replace the exhaust system on my yaris when I found this major rust hole (it was smaller until I beat all the loose stuff away with a screwdriver).

What are the chances I can get that repaired by a professional welder? I know someone who is willing to do work like this, but the last thing I had repaired (rear control arm torn out of subframe on a Jeep WJ) looked a lot easier to fix. This area seems to have a lot more bends.

Or is the car done for? I don't know how much stress that area takes, I can only guess, and to me it looks pretty darn important that the rear control arm and the axle stabilizer link (I think that's what that is in the middle of the pic) stay where they are... :(

Unfortunately, I couldn't zoom out any further for more context. This is just in front of the right rear wheel well underneath the car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusthole.jpg (499.2 KB, 351 views)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd replace the whole axle from a junkyard.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
That's really bad! I think you might be able to cobble up something, but that's a major structural point for the rear suspension. You'd probably have to replace most of the underbody panel in that area to keep it structurally sound. Eek!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Rust

pull the rear seat, carpet, and plastic covers over wheel arches and behind
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
I'd replace the whole axle from a junkyard.
obviously does not comprehend the issue.

You ask if the car is toast and I'd have to say darn close to it. Is that the only weak spot that has developed, or are there other areas of concern with your under-body? Looks to me like it has never been rust proofed in its life and given the age of vehicle, I've got real concerns for its condition.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Had this car been submerged to sea water ??

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A3003 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
obviously does not comprehend the issue.

You ask if the car is toast and I'd have to say darn close to it. Is that the only weak spot that has developed, or are there other areas of concern with your under-body? Looks to me like it has never been rust proofed in its life and given the age of vehicle, I've got real concerns for its condition.
What! He said there's a hole in control arm, picture is not great, he did not say theres hole in body, axle mount or what ever.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Which year model that car is and where it is built ??
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
shepd

Sorry, it's a hole in the part of the subframe that the control arm connects to.

Yeah, it looks like it's done. Found a deal on a Mistubishi Mirage, so I'm gonna end up with that. Was fun owning a Yaris while it lasted! And yes, there's lots of rust everywhere else, but that's the only point so crispy my screwdriver went through it. The other side looks like a shipwreck, though.

I bet the original owner never rustproofed it. I did have it oil sprayed a little over a year ago (I've owned this car for a bit over 2 years? I can't remember exactly) but you can't fix issues like that. In November I sprayed a full can of rust converter on all the rust spots, including that one, but with rust that bad, she's dead.

It's a 2007 Yaris. I'm not sure which factory built it. What's the easiest way to find out? I expect I'll end up giving this car to the dealer when I buy the Mirage. Otherwise, I'm hoping to get $500 at an auto auction. Everything else works well. I even replaced much of the front end (control arms, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc) a year ago!

(Yes, I know the Mirage has no power and that it's ridiculously low end, but I want pure gas mileage at the right price, in a car that's easy to fix and it fits the bill. So does the Yaris, except for the price part). First thing I'm doing is taking it to Krown for rustproofing and bringing it back there yearly to keep up the rustproofing warranty. I hate seeing good cars go to the junkyard for nothing.

Assuming I buy the Mirage, I will have a brand new catalytic converter, brand new muffler, and associated parts (bolt kit, gaskets) I need to sell. Anyone in need? If you're in Canada (Especially Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge/Guelph/Mississauga Ontario area) they're going to be the right price, trust me.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
If you have the space and time, a part-out might be more profitable in the long run, and may help others in the Yaris community. I know not everyone can be like CTScott and strip it to the frame and store it in the garage, but every little bit can help.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
WHAT THE!!!!... Like what KimmoKekki said!... where has your car been?
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Drives: 2007 Jade Yaris Sedan
I am hoping Yaris ownership is not a repeat of (original) Volkswagen Beetle ownership. The last few years with the Beetle was a losing battle against rust. Everything else worked great. The Beetle was probably more repairable than the Yaris as the structure points were the heater channels and the tunnel/pan and the heater channels could be replaced. Not easily but doable. Sheet metal and fiberglass panels were also available to replace non structural parts.

Back in the late 1980s I was visiting a friend who repaired Volkswagens and he had Beetles piled two high on a flatbread and was taking them to the junk yard as scrap. He said every one of them ran but they were too rotted out to fix and he had enough spare parts. Nowadays he could have made a fortune on eBay.

Last edited by Sirius-XM; 02-21-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Sirius-XM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
shepd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
If you have the space and time, a part-out might be more profitable in the long run, and may help others in the Yaris community. I know not everyone can be like CTScott and strip it to the frame and store it in the garage, but every little bit can help.
I was considering that, but unfortunately, I just don't have the driveway space for another car. I have a mini-bus I'm converting to an RV, the wife's SUV, and the Yaris, and about 4 foot to the sidewalk. :(

If I send it off to a junkyard, I'll let y'all know which one so you can pick it bare. :)
Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
This blows me away, after seeing my 9 year old car driven in similar conditions and how little rust it has, I'm really curious as to where the previous owner drive this. I'm thinking a lot of gravel roads leading to paint chips and then salt water corroding it all
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
shepd

The dealer I bought it from said the previous owner was an ambulance driver and Barrie rings a bell as to where he lived. I bought the car in Brampton. So I assume he drove down the 400 and back every day. Would make sense since the 400 series highways get extreme salt treatments. Got it at a decent price and the car needed plenty of work, but I'm OK with that (dealer took care of safety items like struts, wheel bearings, ABS, brakes, etc--I ended up dealing with the exhaust, another wheel bearing, control arms, tie rods, battery, and a starter--which rusted out!).

I'm doing the same thing on the 401 now, but I will be rust treating the new car yearly! I hear parking on grass is bad for cars, too, so I avoid that--maybe the previous owner didn't? :)

I don't think all Yarises are like this, but check where this vehicle went rusty on any one you plan to buy. Seems like a possible weak point.

KimmoKekki asked where it was built. According to an online VIN decoder, it was built in Japan. The serial portion of the VIN is 032089.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #16
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius-XM View Post
I am hoping Yaris ownership is not a repeat of (original) Volkswagen Beetle ownership. The last few years was a losing battle against rust. Everything else worked great. The Beetle was probably more repairable than the Yaris as the structure points were the heater channels and the tunnel/pan and the heater channels could be replaced. Not easily but doable. Sheet metal and fiberglass panels were also available to replace non structural parts.

Back in the late 1980s I was visiting a friend who repaired Volkswagens and he had Beetles piled two high on a flatbread and was taking them to the junk yard as scrap. He said every one of them ran but they were too rotted out to fix and he had enough spare parts. Nowadays he could have made a fortune on eBay.
Were you driving 1949 Beetles until 2009? (If you've been driving winters in NJ in other vehicles that didn't die of rust, please identify.)
(This thread indicates Mind of Toyota gave Yaris the corrosion protection of circa 1987-91 Tercel/FX-16/Corolla)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Drives: 2007 Jade Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Were you driving 1949 Beetles until 2009? (If you've been driving winters in NJ in other vehicles that didn't die of rust, please identify.)
(This thread indicates Mind of Toyota gave Yaris the corrosion protection of circa 1987-91 Tercel/FX-16/Corolla)
I had a 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle. Great car but by 1994 the rust had eaten from inside the heater channel and had separated the heater channel from the lower front section of the door frame. Technically repairable but not cost effective.

I am hoping the Yaris does not have the corrosion problems of a 1980's Toyota or classic Beetle. My Yaris runs great for a ten year old car with 146,000 miles and I hope to get another 10 years out of it.

My Yaris has surface rust in spots and other patches that are a little more troubling, still understandable. I have had the control arm bolts corrode and break, a common problem in states that use salt. My 1986 Dodge Aries, 1989 Dodge Shadow & 2002 Dodge Neon were rust free well beyond ten years. I am not saying they were better cars than the Yaris although they too were good cars. The Aries and Neon had transmission failures (at > 125K) and Shadow had a head gasket fail at 150K which I regret not fixing and keeping the car.

Last edited by Sirius-XM; 02-21-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Sirius-XM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
I will have a brand new catalytic converter, brand new muffler, and associated parts (bolt kit, gaskets) I need to sell
Details please.