Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Qilene15

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Map light question

I bought the LED's from thebarber but I had a problem during the install (go figure, I managed to install my new stereo and subwoofers with no problem, and I can't install a lightbulb). I guess the original bulbs were kinda tiny and were hard to get a grip on to pull out, so when pulling one of them out I guess the socket you plug the actual bulb into fell out. I've been to the toyota dealership and they said they don't actually sell the part, I'd have to buy a whole new map light assembly for $85. I obviously don't want to pay that sort of money for a bulb. I've checked AutoZone and other auto parts stores around here, no luck.

Any ideas?

Help appreciated.

Bonus pics of the new install :O

Pioneer AVH-4100pDVD - the video works!

Wires ran to the trunk!

Subs and amp here; I know they're not the best brand, but they were given to me for free. I will probably buy another amp sometime soon because the subs need a bit power, but the subs sound good as is though. Going to hide all the wires when I make an amp rack this summer :D

Last edited by tk-421; 04-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Qilene15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
MIGUELLOUREIRO

Drives: Yaris 1.0 2006
By map you mean those two lights near the rearviewmirror? or the other light that turns on when we open the door?
MIGUELLOUREIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
The light you see when you open the door is called a dome light.
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I had the same thing happening when I first did it and didn't detach the bulb, but instead pushed in the socket. Assuming we're talking about the same light here... the two small one's up front by the rear view mirror. All you have to do is take out the entire light house assembly, and you'll easily see how the socket attaches. There's no wires to it either.
To take down the whole assembly, all you have to do is stick something thin in on the sides to release it from a few clips.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Oh, and if your socket went missing, again have no fear,. It is likely laying around somewhere on top of your ceiling, and its kinda compartmentalized with some brackets in there, and you can put your hand in there and search around for it. While you're up there you can also put in a blue tooth mic or something :)
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
MIGUELLOUREIRO

Drives: Yaris 1.0 2006
where i live we have that set for sale bulb and the socket together, so you could replace just the bulb or the entire set
MIGUELLOUREIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Qilene15

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I had the same thing happening when I first did it and didn't detach the bulb, but instead pushed in the socket. Assuming we're talking about the same light here... the two small one's up front by the rear view mirror. All you have to do is take out the entire light house assembly, and you'll easily see how the socket attaches. There's no wires to it either.
To take down the whole assembly, all you have to do is stick something thin in on the sides to release it from a few clips.
I will try opening up the assembly, I thought it might have gone up there because I can't find it on the floor, so hopefully it's up there. Will be super happy if it is!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Qilene15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGUELLOUREIRO View Post
where i live we have that set for sale bulb and the socket together, so you could replace just the bulb or the entire set
That's super awesome, not here...

Edit: swidd, you're awesome. Pulled off the assembly, fished around a bit, and there it was :D

Also here's a side by side comparison of the lights. Planned on taking another picture after I had them all in, but that never really happened (till right this second) and it's too light outside for a picture.

http://yfrog.com/es0419002151j

You can see that the LED has a bit of a blue glow to it, but overall the car looks super nice with them on. Very clean.

Last edited by Qilene15; 04-21-2010 at 09:42 AM.