Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Elzot
I've made a post!

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Soon to (Most Likely) Be a Yaris Owner

Hey all, I just joined. Presently, I own a 2007 Mini Cooper S, with almost all the goodies, and I love it, though it does have it's quirks. I am planning to buy a Yaris soon. I am thinkiing: 2009 Yaris S 5 door, blazing blue, with the alloy wheels power package and remote keyless access. How's that sound? How is the stereo? My "upgraded" stereo in the Mini is a rare disappointment. What are the particular highs & lows of the car? How long can I expect to wait if I order one? Thanks!

Last edited by Elzot; 11-20-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: additional question
Elzot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
I bought mine in March and my wife bought hers in February. We love them. In so far as stereo's it's an average Toyota unit. I have no complaints, but I'm not looking for top of the line sound either. It's a fun little car with lots of room and great feul mileage. Don't expect it to handle like a Mini out of the box,but it can still be driven with some fun on the twisties. I'd say go for it man and you'll fall in love staight away. Welcome to the forum.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Same here, bought mine in May 08 and husband's August 08. Mine is a Bayou Blue Auto and his is a Blazing Blue Manual. Both have the power package (mine has the alloys), keyless entry, fogs, bumper protector and mudguards.

Very happy with both cars, but remeber they are $14k cars. Stereo is adequate, but nothing fancy. They are both fun to drive, but our other vehicles are a Dodge Ram and a Ford Excursion.

We have added tint to both and springs to the bayou. Have the sway and strut bars to install and springs and wheels for the blazing as soon as we get the time and money.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
I was considering the Mini as I have owned other BMW's and I am a CCA member. I have to tell you...the Mini is just WAY overpriced for what it is. By the time you option the thing out to be even half decent, you are mid to later 20's. The Yaris is great for what it is and at a very affordable price. The Yaris radio is terrible....
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
you'll love it. From what I hear the mini doesnt get great gas mileage, but I saw that a year or so back so maybe it's changed. But you'll love the fact that it only takes $20 to fill her up and its so peppy. I turn heads everywhere I go, people just stare at the yaris and ask about it when you walk past them. I cant imagine MOD'ing my yaris, I'd get so much attention! Trust me, you'll love the Yaris.
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Oh and the only "Bad" thing I can think of is that

I drive it a lot on the highway and the constant torture put on the car (from the rough roads) have made made things start to click and make noises. Its not bad at all but for some reason it gets on my nerves some times. But hey all cars make noises, right?
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
I don't think the Yaris and Mini are comparable, but also imo the Mini is the most fun small car, but the Yaris is the best for MPG and saving cash. If I already owned a Mini, I wouldn't be trading it in for a Yaris unless I had no choice and was getting a great deal.

I also considered the Mini, having come over from BMW's as well, but I also couldn't justify the price of a Mini vs a Yaris. For fun, there's no beating a Mini, but I don't drive for fun much anymore.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
ToddR
Bacon!

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
My only complaint is the lack of a telescoping steering wheel in the US Yaris. It feels like I have to stretch a little more to reach the wheel than in any other car I've driven.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote