Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Who plans on trading for the 3rd generation?
Yes, I plan on trading for the 2012 or 2013 12 8.33%
No, I don't like what I see so far - sticking with the '07-'11 61 42.36%
It's not that I don't like it, I just want to keep this one for a long time 63 43.75%
I plan on trading for something other than than Yaris 8 5.56%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #55
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
IMO the Yaris, as well as many other subcompacts, are overpriced for what it is in comparison to other cars.

When you spend 12-14,000 on a car... the difference in payment if you go up to a 14-17,000car is totally justified by the immensely better cars sold for only a little bit more - and features you'd pay extra for on Yaris is standard on all other cars.
I totally disagree. For what the yaris offers, there really isn't anything that can beat it. It is among the best in fuel economy, it is much less expensive to purchase and maintain than a hybrid, and the really good features and add ons generally don't start until you are willing to pay around $30k for a car.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #56
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
IMO the Yaris, as well as many other subcompacts, are overpriced for what it is in comparison to other cars.

When you spend 12-14,000 on a car... the difference in payment if you go up to a 14-17,000car is totally justified by the immensely better cars sold for only a little bit more - and features you'd pay extra for on Yaris is standard on all other cars.

You really need to remember that the cost difference between different regions of the country are dramatically skewed. Case in point is that up in Maine where I am from you wouldn't find a base Corolla (some people's favorite comparison) for less than 19k for the 07 model year. A well equipped one was around 22/23k. They had the LB for around 13k and the sedan was 15k which was to be expected. Now when I hear that people are spending 18k on an LB for a 2010 I think that is well above the line of what the car is worth especially for a two door car that is not a sports car.

The 2012 LB to me is a MAJOR disappointment aesthetically. I sincerely hope that they do not butcher the Vios in the same manner. If they do then it will show that rather than leading the way Toyota is resorting to do what every other up and coming manufacturer has been doing which is stealing deigns and concepts. As previously noted by others, that car being shown is a mashup of what is already out there. A shame really.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #57
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:

What features are you talking about? I think certain safety features should be required on all cars e.g. side air bags, ABS, ESC, defrosting side mirrors (premium option?), projector lights (premium option?) My 2008 model doesn't have any of these but I know the 2010 has side air bags, ABS, and ESC on the base model.

Features for convenience like cruise control, power windows, power locks, etc. are nice to have and it's built into the Fit but not on the Yaris by the base model. Built-in GPS, bluetooth, and satellite options are nice to have but something most people don't need as standard equipment.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #58
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
What features are you talking about? I think certain safety features should be required on all cars e.g. side air bags, ABS, ESC, defrosting side mirrors (premium option?), projector lights (premium option?) My 2008 model doesn't have any of these but I know the 2010 has side air bags, ABS, and ESC on the base model.

Features for convenience like cruise control, power windows, power locks, etc. are nice to have and it's built into the Fit but not on the Yaris by the base model. Built-in GPS, bluetooth, and satellite options are nice to have but something most people don't need as standard equipment.
i emphatically disagree with mandating anything for a vehicle. They only add unnecessary cost, complexity, and weight, and 99.99% of the time don't add anything to the car.

I think they could be options, but no way should they be a must have.

air bags won't help 99% of vehicles ever, and even in actual accidents, the number of times they help is slim, especially when you realize they have injured and murdered people.

Traction control of any type is stupid. It is just another nanny because people choose not to learn to drive.

The problem we have is modern cars are far too weighted down by "mandatory" garbage that doesn't do anything but add to the weight of the vehicle, thereby hurting gas mileage, handling, acceleration, and pretty much everything else.

Actually forcing people to learn to drive would be a million times better than mandating anything.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #59
eht13

Drives: .
I like the look of the new hatchback in these pics... as I've said, I'm curious to see what the new sedan will look like too. Having said that, though, my vote (this was a poll thread, after all) reflected the fact that when I do trade my Yaris in at some point, it will probably be for a larger sedan... probably either a new Camry (an LE with alloys or an SE) or Accord (probably EX).
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #60
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Actually forcing people to learn to drive would be a million times better than mandating anything.
I could not agree more. I was essentially licensed to drive through a junior high football coach. Sad really. Driver's Education should be a much bigger deal than it is.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #61
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I plan to keep my Yaris for quite sometime! I will be averaging around 10,000 - 12,000 miles a year. Presently, 11 months old @ 9,200 miles.

I plan to keep around 10 - 15 years or 120,000 - 180,000 miles. All considered if my work commute stays the same? I'm still gainfully employed and somewhat stable? But, who knows... maybe I might be forced to travel long distances to find non-existing work if the economy continues at its rate?

Good news is at least I will be debt free in less than a year... Except my house which use to be 'good' debt... Anyone who has debt, really try to get it down. Holding debt today is suicide for these uncertain times ahead of us!

Cheers!
Good advice on debt free. I am totally debt free including house,cars.
It took me awhile. Best way I found to do was by living like a bum.
Clipped every coupon I could use. Always looked for cheaper things,ways to do things. Since becoming debt free I seem to have less money with kids and doctors visits, braces,
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #62
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I have hit 100,000 miles on my 2007 and plan to keep as long as it is road worthy.
I do like the interior of the new style much better. I still hate my spedo in the center.
My yaris needs to hit 140,000 miles to break even for the cost. Just the gas savings from my Dodge Ram will pay for the car alone at 140,000. The rest is where the Yaris will make me money. After I retire it I will turn it into a stock car at the local track
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #63
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Shame they are going to a radical new design. One of the enduring features that I really love about the car is the center mount speedometer. I really struggle with buying a new car. I would love to get a Toyota FJ or a Tundra, but I am so cheap, I would drive it a week and then trade in back in for another Yaris or Prius for the gas mileage. With gas going over 3 bucks a gallon, the Yaris just keeps on proving to be a wonderful transportation choice.

One car that I am very interested in is the IQ. It gets even better mileage than the Yaris and I love the mini cars. If it is just as roomy as the Yaris, that might make me get one.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #64
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
i emphatically disagree with mandating anything for a vehicle. They only add unnecessary cost, complexity, and weight, and 99.99% of the time don't add anything to the car.

I think they could be options, but no way should they be a must have.

air bags won't help 99% of vehicles ever, and even in actual accidents, the number of times they help is slim, especially when you realize they have injured and murdered people.

Traction control of any type is stupid. It is just another nanny because people choose not to learn to drive.

The problem we have is modern cars are far too weighted down by "mandatory" garbage that doesn't do anything but add to the weight of the vehicle, thereby hurting gas mileage, handling, acceleration, and pretty much everything else.

I agree. I just wish some of those options were available on all cars. Defrosting side mirrors are wonderful and I would pay for that option.

Teaching all to drive? What a wonderful concept. The problem is that too many people are just plain dumb. Take driving in the snow. Every year, after the first major snow storm, you see some idiots who forgot that a car on ice can't stop. They think 4 wheel drive makes their vehicle capable to operate in the snow. It makes it drive, but it still has to live with the same law of physics that the rest of us live under.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #65
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
One car that I am very interested in is the IQ. It gets even better mileage than the Yaris and I love the mini cars. If it is just as roomy as the Yaris, that might make me get one.
it does not have near the room in the back. im intrigued too, but ill have to see what the mileage will be in the n. american version.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #66
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
it does not have near the room in the back. im intrigued too, but ill have to see what the mileage will be in the n. american version.
Since I drive 99 per cent of the time alone, I am only concerned with the roominess of the front seats. As for mileage, I have heard....heard mind you...it gets around 60 MPG highway....which is a winner for my purposes.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #67
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Oh boy. Do you actually believe that?

Quote:
Can you teach me how to brake with just one wheel? thanks. Sorry for not learning this earlier.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #68
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Since I drive 99 per cent of the time alone, I am only concerned with the roominess of the front seats. As for mileage, I have heard....heard mind you...it gets around 60 MPG highway....which is a winner for my purposes.
not to burst bubbles but I highly doubt the USDM version will get that. I might be wrong but I have this feeling no. Just because they will tune it more for the U.S. So power vs mpg. Yes it will no doubt get good mileage but highly doubt that high for the U.S. spec. Sorta like the Smart, they compromised for more power for the U.S. version, hence why it doesn't get as good as people expected for a such a small car with a small engine.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #69
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Sometime in 2011 the 2012 Fiat 500s are coming with 4 door variant to follow. I may trade in my LB then.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #70
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Sometime in 2011 the 2012 Fiat 500s are coming with 4 door variant to follow. I may trade in my LB then.
Yeah, i'm interested in the Fiat 500. Chick magnent.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #71
ItalianYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris TS
Send a message via AIM to ItalianYaris Send a message via MSN to ItalianYaris
Well, this thread really got off topic now! LOL. Fiats 500's? might be a chick magnet, but it will never have the reliability of a Toyota, is way smaller than the Yaris when it comes to interior space, in reality, the only part thats worth about the car is the Engine, which im not sure if you are getting it in the USA, which is the 1.0 3 cyl. engine which are great! And besides, the engine choices in the new yaris seem quite promising and super economical, and there is even an AWD? I will be looking into the new RS model again when it comes out here in Europe, and hopefully it has the option of AWD.
ItalianYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #72
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Looks like a Fit.

Just my .02:)
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote