Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Who plans on trading for the 3rd generation?
Yes, I plan on trading for the 2012 or 2013 12 8.33%
No, I don't like what I see so far - sticking with the '07-'11 61 42.36%
It's not that I don't like it, I just want to keep this one for a long time 63 43.75%
I plan on trading for something other than than Yaris 8 5.56%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #73
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianYaris View Post
Well, this thread really got off topic now! LOL. Fiats 500's? might be a chick magnet, but it will never have the reliability of a Toyota, is way smaller than the Yaris when it comes to interior space, in reality, the only part thats worth about the car is the Engine, which im not sure if you are getting it in the USA, which is the 1.0 3 cyl. engine which are great! And besides, the engine choices in the new yaris seem quite promising and super economical, and there is even an AWD? I will be looking into the new RS model again when it comes out here in Europe, and hopefully it has the option of AWD.
The 500 is a different market sort to say. Aimed at a different market. its a boutique brand, sorta like MINI and Smart. yeah it competes with the Yaris on some levels but its more of a nostolgic and heritage. yeah its smaller but I still like it.

I know for Europe you guys get better options. The U.S. we get watered down models. I think we'll get the same 1.5ltr. Although we are getting the iQ with a smaller engine.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #74
ItalianYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris TS
Send a message via AIM to ItalianYaris Send a message via MSN to ItalianYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
The 500 is a different market sort to say. Aimed at a different market. its a boutique brand, sorta like MINI and Smart. yeah it competes with the Yaris on some levels but its more of a nostolgic and heritage. yeah its smaller but I still like it.

I know for Europe you guys get better options. The U.S. we get watered down models. I think we'll get the same 1.5ltr. Although we are getting the iQ with a smaller engine.
I totally agree. Here in Europe, the 500 is more likely to be compared to the toyota Aygo, which is an amazing little car. Are you really getting the iQ with a smaller engine? here it comes with a 1.0 and a 1.3?
The problem is mainly that small cars are still not very popular in the USA... I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (he lives in Boston), the fact about the US not getting the 1.8 Yaris, you got the corolla over there with the same engine, and i would never see at this point in time really, someone spending 22,000 Euros on a Yaris when they can buy a Corolla for cheaper. Sad but True. I like the 500, there is positive history behind it, (my father even had one) but I dont believe it is a car that can be in any way compared to the Yaris. But I guess in the US, there arent many options really, and you have to do with what you got. Here in Europe is totally the opposite, way to many options, LOL..
ItalianYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #75
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianYaris View Post
I totally agree. Here in Europe, the 500 is more likely to be compared to the toyota Aygo, which is an amazing little car. Are you really getting the iQ with a smaller engine? here it comes with a 1.0 and a 1.3?
The problem is mainly that small cars are still not very popular in the USA... I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (he lives in Boston), the fact about the US not getting the 1.8 Yaris, you got the corolla over there with the same engine, and i would never see at this point in time really, someone spending 22,000 Euros on a Yaris when they can buy a Corolla for cheaper. Sad but True. I like the 500, there is positive history behind it, (my father even had one) but I dont believe it is a car that can be in any way compared to the Yaris. But I guess in the US, there arent many options really, and you have to do with what you got. Here in Europe is totally the opposite, way to many options, LOL..

LOL, well I meant smaller than what we have. We get the 1.5ltr, from my understanding we will get the 1.3ltr. I don't know how much it gets in Europe, but I'm guessing it will be tuned to have more power, probably in the neighborhood of 100hp or so. not far off from the 1.5ltr Yaris. You are correct, there is no market for a 1.8ltr Yaris, although I'm sure a lot of people on here would clamor for it, but we're a very small market. Americans associate size of the car with price. Its space vs costs. So if they can get a Matrix (U.S.) for the same price and more space, why pay the same money for a smaller car? Its that mentality, its not bad but its certainly not fair in some respects of being open minded.

You hit it on the head. America and other places but America is certainly a different mentality. Different culture. Also consider geographical situations, where's Europe and Asia is more crowded and living area is more precious. Plus you guys get taxed a lot on gas and sales of cars. So people are inclined to get smaller cars there too. Its starting to change in the U.S. but as long as gas is cheap small cars will stay at the bottom. i'd say the MINI is an exception of premium small car. Last I heard the U.S. is the biggest market for MINI. how ironic! But I know it sells based on heritage, name and of course driving dynamics.

So yeah, small cars arent' as popular so we don't get as much choice. But GM, Ford, Hyundai are coming out with new small cars (new gen models). We'll see!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #76
daddz07

Drives: Yaris 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to daddz07
Me too!! I will not sell or get rid of my Yaris 08 even if its 15-20 yrs old as long as it runs. I even both my wife the saem car i have but 2009 model. Now we both have the same car and i ask her she can go with the meet and greet plans with Yaris world.

I finally get rid of the highlander. Too much gas spent!! yAris all the way. But not the 2012 model.
daddz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #77
PumpkinSteve

Drives: Yaris SR 1.8
If the new Yaris offers a good engine, something similar to the dual VVTI 1.8 from the Yaris SR, then I will buy. But at the moment I'm torn between the 2012 Swift Sport and the 2012 Yaris.
PumpkinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #78
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Looking to buy my first Yaris this year, but it's going to be '07-'08 model, newer ones have too many electrionic grannies controlling traction, throttle, and braking for my likeing. I'll stick with the good ol' human controlled version for now.
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #79
TwoBearWisconsin

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB/5, 1996 Miata
From what I can see on-line, I like the new one just fine, but I'm not in the market for a new car. Plus, my 2010 has some features - center mounted gauges and multiple glove boxes - that I would miss if I got the new one.
TwoBearWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #80
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
I'm keeping my 07 HB. I first fell for the design! but have made mods to make it drive how I like it. I would hope someone would correct me, but my understanding has been that this first Gen car was designed in Europe and subsequesnt design changes have been made in Japan. this would explain the appeal of the orginal design....change that to correct original design.
the newer design coming looks like a blend of ideas and becomes very bland and generic. the back pillar does not even fit with the design of the front.
the inside dash has become bland and very plastic looking.
I would definitely look elsewhere when it's time for a new car.
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #81
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Honestly, the only car that I don't already have that attracts my attention is the 2000-2006 Honda Insight:

61 city/70 hwy mpg EPA rating for the 5 spd manual. And designed for my kind of traveling. (Just me, my dog, and, and our luggage.) It's just perfect. And the only car in ever sold in the US that gets better fuel economy than the one I travel in now.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #82
end user
GRO H2O

Drives: Yaris
I just go my 2011 Yaris and if it looked like the 2012 I'd pass. The current design looks the best out of all the econoboxes out there. I hate the edgy spaceship designs. They all look the same....
end user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #83
umarperkucing

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2010 SE Asia spec
damn angry yaris is scary.

i m not really sure about which one are better looking, but im sure will miss all that glove box that old yaris have. though i wish toyota can provide cheap upgrading for us who want to keep our yaris
umarperkucing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #84
CL4C
Tell me about Yaris

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE, 3dr, silver
I am keeping mine, simply because I've paid a lump sum on the car and I want to maximize its use. As for the look, I do agree that the 06/07 model is cute and unique.
CL4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #85
solarVitz

Drives: 08 Yaris S Liftback
Send a message via AIM to solarVitz Send a message via Yahoo to solarVitz
no thanks. im keeping my 08 LiftBack S for a very longgggg time.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #86
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Keeping my 09 another 3-4 years then buying the FT if its financially within reach. Only reason I just bought the 09 was because my 04 Echo already had 260,000kms on it and with the FT delayed... wanted to be sure I had decent wheels to get me another 3-4 years.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #87
Raventree
World traveler

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door silver
Hmm..Take a Honda fit, weld some Versa bits onto it...
And you now have the un-natural marriage of the 2 as the 2012 Yaris...

No thanks... Dear Wife and I are keeping Bebe' for a long time..
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #88
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Keeping my 09 another 3-4 years then buying the FT if its financially within reach. Only reason I just bought the 09 was because my 04 Echo already had 260,000kms on it and with the FT delayed... wanted to be sure I had decent wheels to get me another 3-4 years.
What's an FT?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #89
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
This...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FT-86_II_Concept_02_GMS_2011.jpg (100.3 KB, 75 views)
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #90
Trubin

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Too fancy for me. Though 'd love to see some pics of the coupe version.

"Dat's only in da moning."
Trubin is offline   Reply With Quote