Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
markpeppie

Drives: yaris 2007aero
air conditioning

have a yaris sedan aero ,,,,,,,,,is it me or does the ac work like shit??? maybe i'am just overreacting!!!
markpeppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
David81

Drives: Yaris
I hope it works good, cause i bought a yaris sedan aero also and i added ac for like 1500.

I'll know how the ac is once i get my car
David81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
the a/c on mine doesn't feel super-cold, but i think it works fine, the one thing i am happy about is that it doesn't put a big drain on the small engine.
my old car was terrible, as soon as i turned on the a/c, the engine just bogged down.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
markpeppie

my old car was a 99 accord 2.2 L it seemed like the car would really cold, which i liked, should i have the dealer check it out???
Old 05-31-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
It is nice to find out that some members are sharing their experience about the Yaris' A/C here.
I have an RS hatchback. My A/C is switched on these days most of the time. I agree it is not super strong but given time, it can cool the car down. I remember that the car's manual has suggested something like running the car with the windows open for a few minutes if the car's interior is very hot, like it has been parked under the sun. The manual has also advised to use the recirculated air instead of fresh air position of the air intake selector knob if fast cooling is desired. I would personally suggest to remember to switch back to fresh air later.
I usually turn the fan speed to at least level 3 at the first few minutes when the A/C is switched on and then turn it down to level 2 for quietness. Also, I would switch the air flow knob to the panel position. At that position, cold air is blown out from both the centre and the side vents.
Recently, I have purchased a sun shade at around Cdn $12 which I can put under the windshield after I have parked to prevent the sun from heating up the interior too much.
With all these measures, I believe I can help my car's A/C do its job without overworking itself. When it works comfortably, I save some fuel and the sun shade's cost will be compensated by the saving in fuel costs over a long time.
More information can be found in P.157-167 of the car's manual.

Last edited by swng; 05-31-2006 at 10:33 PM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I've found that with the black front dash the car is continually drawing heat into it. So I bought a grayish dash mat. But it hasn't gotten here yet for me to see if that helps. But the black front dash really does seem to heat the car up and its a battle between that and the air conditioner to try and cool the car down.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
markpeppie

where did you order the mat? what does it look like?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
Well,I think the ac is ok,I put it on 4 and it keeps me cool enough I suppose. Also, I got a sun shade to put in ,to cool the car and protect it while I'm at work or what ever.

I wouldn't say the ac was sh##,after all it is a smaller car,and its good to have an ac that is not going to hurt the engine or use up more gas.

Have a greay day and have fun with your Yaris!

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 PM   #9
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpeppie
where did you order the mat? what does it look like?
Here's the webpage. http://www.autobarn.net/ordasdascov.html Go down the page and go to (Click here to order a Dashmat Dashboard Cover for your vehicle). And it will walk you through how to order the mat. I tried other dash mat sites but none of them had one for a yaris as of yet. This one supposedly does.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
markpeppie

thanks great website, just ordered one!!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
swng

Please post again to report the effectiveness of the cover when you have it. I may need one too. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #12
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
yeah, i'd like to know as well... it's pretty hot here most of the year round in Louisiana, US

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
swng

Just wish to emphasize that my A/C is in fact O.K. However, if something not too costly can reduce the burden of my A/C, I would like to consider it because reduced workload for the A/C will mean less fuel consumption and less maintenance. In the long run, I may even save some money. In other words, the item will pay for itself. It will take a very long time to achieve that though.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
Dylanby

Drives: RS 5-DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Just wish to emphasize that my A/C is in fact O.K. However, if something not too costly can reduce the burden of my A/C, I would like to consider it because reduced workload for the A/C will mean less fuel consumption and less maintenance. In the long run, I may even save some money. In other words, the item will pay for itself. It will take a very long time to achieve that though.
Do you have your windows tinted? Even a 50% tint (50% light transmission) should cut the heat by about 40% (less while parked in the sun).
Dylanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
It is nice to find out that some members are sharing their experience about the Yaris' A/C here.
I have an RS hatchback. My A/C is switched on these days most of the time. I agree it is not super strong but given time, it can cool the car down. I remember that the car's manual has suggested something like running the car with the windows open for a few minutes if the car's interior is very hot, like it has been parked under the sun. The manual has also advised to use the recirculated air instead of fresh air position of the air intake selector knob if fast cooling is desired. I would personally suggest to remember to switch back to fresh air later.
I usually turn the fan speed to at least level 3 at the first few minutes when the A/C is switched on and then turn it down to level 2 for quietness. Also, I would switch the air flow knob to the panel position. At that position, cold air is blown out from both the centre and the side vents.
Recently, I have purchased a sun shade at around Cdn $12 which I can put under the windshield after I have parked to prevent the sun from heating up the interior too much.
With all these measures, I believe I can help my car's A/C do its job without overworking itself. When it works comfortably, I save some fuel and the sun shade's cost will be compensated by the saving in fuel costs over a long time.
More information can be found in P.157-167 of the car's manual.

Same here. I found the A/C good but not great. For sure its much better on a full side sedan (such as an accord).
I use the same method of turning it on 3 for few minutes and reduce that to 2. I found 2 is 'cooler' than 3 with time, 3 is just to get rid of all the hot air within the car. And yes, if you know you will be at your destination soon, turn off the A/C for about a few minutes and let the fan run for a bit. Without letting the fans goes on for a bit before you shut down your car, you could get a weird smell next time you start the car.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The first time I tried to turn on the a/c I hit the rear defroster button instead. lol.

But when I figured out to turn it on right it worked pretty good.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
David81

Drives: Yaris
I'm getting my car hopefully today. 30 more min till i'm off work. Then i'll go pick it up. Heard from my dealer they are installing my a/c. Is there a difference between ac? the ones installed by the manufacturer or the ones installed by the toyota dealer? Cause i know the manufacturer charged like 1.1k and toyota dealer charged 1.45k
David81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #18
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Huh, I never heard of manufacturer install and dealer install. I thought they were all installed by manufacturer before shipping it here.