Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
small update on turbo project...

so some of you guys know i have been trying to put a turbo kit together for the hatch. i was finally able to install the intercooler and map put the piping.

i had to put it all back to stock(besides the intercooler) since i still gotta get the flange welded to the manifold, and the downpipe finished, and the maf adapter from chino and blah blah blah...

hopefully it will be ready in 2 weeks give or take...
heres some pics of the project.

Removed Cowl

Removed Wiper motor Cowl

Stock Header, gotta goooooo...

Parts we gotta testfit/cut/weld...

Intercooler Mounted, Crash bar was cutopen for airflow, will have to do same to front bumper.

Manifold installed for turbo testfit.

Sorry guys/gals i should had taken more pics of the intercooler piping being routed, better pics of the manifold and a lot of other things but it was hard to stop and take pics while trying to get everything done.

will take more pics when the final job is done in a couple of weeks
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
nice how big is the intercooler? could've probably got away with a smaller one, this beast looks like it will cause some turbo lag...
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
+1
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Polish0017
日本人&

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to Polish0017
How many pounds of boost are you planning on running?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
I am just wondering, what is the total bill right now?

I mean its none of my business, but I was wondering what the difference between price wise DIY vs ZPI
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
looking good, one question though, wouldn't a wider, shorter intercooler be a better for for that lower grille?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
joey1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
looking good, one question though, wouldn't a wider, shorter intercooler be a better for for that lower grille?
ok i'll try to answer as best as i can.

first total build right now is around $700 for everything. including the emanage.

the size of the intercooler is 11" x 12" core with a total of 18" front endtank to endtank. the reason why i went with this intercooler is because on the pass side i'm going to route the pipe thru the engine bay, and this was the perfect size for that.

i'll probably see a small loss of presure but i don't think is gonna be much. i'll be runing 7.5psi of boost. plan is to go bigger next year!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
A large FMIC or long intercooler piping will not effect lag much at all. They put a front mount on a STI and it actually had better boost response!

What size turbo is that? If its a small one its going to come on low, the car WILL NOT switch over to open loop until you hit 3-4K and 90% throttle, keep that in mind. You will be boosting with the fuel tick tocking between stoich and lean. Get a ESC1 I believe its called, it will sense boost and force the ECU to change over.

OR get a standalone, these are the only safe ways.....
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
joey1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo&Auto View Post
A large FMIC or long intercooler piping will not effect lag much at all. They put a front mount on a STI and it actually had better boost response!

What size turbo is that? If its a small one its going to come on low, the car WILL NOT switch over to open loop until you hit 3-4K and 90% throttle, keep that in mind. You will be boosting with the fuel tick tocking between stoich and lean. Get a ESC1 I believe its called, it will sense boost and force the ECU to change over.

OR get a standalone, these are the only safe ways.....

the front o2 sensor will be removed so the ecu doesn't learn/adjust to the boost pressure. that is the only way to go until i get a full standalone.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Turbo&Auto

Are you going to use a simulator or something there?

You can leave that front O2, and get the ESC1, its a cheap piece. I had one on my Matrix when I turbod it and it worked like a champ. I actually replaced the front O2 with a PLX wideband and fed the narrowband out into the ESC1 then the ECU. As soon as I hit .5-1psi it would kick right over to open loop.

Good luck with it :)
Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
joey1320

Quote:
Are you going to use a simulator or something there?

You can leave that front O2, and get the ESC1, its a cheap piece. I had one on my Matrix when I turbod it and it worked like a champ. I actually replaced the front O2 with a PLX wideband and fed the narrowband out into the ESC1 then the ECU. As soon as I hit .5-1psi it would kick right over to open loop.

Good luck with it :)
cool man thanks for the info. i'll look into it!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Interesting project, good luck

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Turbo&Auto

Did you weld the mani yourself?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
joey1320

Quote:
Did you weld the mani yourself?
no a friend of mine is taking welding classes and him and his teacher did it. he said it could had looked cleaner with a lot more pratice but i don't have the patience plus is gonna be covered, so as long as the welds are strong, which they are, i'm ok.

also i'm doing this kit as a starting point, once my friends becomes better with the fab work we will get a better system together. maybe with a t3/t4 turbo and a built motor, but thats after my wedding next year
Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Turbo&Auto

If you go T3/T4 the lag will be insane. Get a T3 super 60, that would prolly be the largest turbo that would function well all around.

The welding didnt look bad at all, good work!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
I can't wait to see where you go with this. It looks great already.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
joey1320

Quote:
If you go T3/T4 the lag will be insane. Get a T3 super 60, that would prolly be the largest turbo that would function well all around.

The welding didnt look bad at all, good work!

you are right about the size of a t3/t4 i was just traying to say that this is not the final kit for the car. i plan on redoing the manifold and doing away with the log style.

with built engine to support the boost, the plan is to have with 300whp safely. but thats for future plans, i gotta pay for wedding first. right now i'm just shooting for 150whp out of the gt2056 turbo, which i think will be easy enough.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
Turbo&Auto

175whp is VERY reasonable on the stock block. With that small of a turbo you can run 14-17psi and it wont hurt the motor. PSI doesnt hurt the motor, its just a measure of resistance at the TB. ;)

300whp is prolly the tops for an average build on this motor. A log mani will support 350ish to the wheels. You wont need a large hot side since there is just no displacement or high revving. Smaller hot side with a decent sized compressor will work nice for response and top end :)