Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
do those count as "chains" on tires?
They sure do. I also find that I use them more often than chains because they're so much easier to mount and dismount, and I don't have to get my sleeves dirty while I do it.

Granted, they're expensive, but I enjoy the convenience they offer.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
chains in my area are illegal......do these qualify in the same category?

and good call with the oil spray, never thought about that
Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
has anyone ever driven a lowered yaris in the winter? how bad could it be.....
Yes, my office was near you (at 401 & Hurontario) and I commuted there from Burlington, ~100 kl round trip daily.
The Yaris hasn't got much clearance riding on my TRD suspension (1.5" drop) and add to that I ran 14" steelies with 175/65/14 (Echo spec.) winter tires it rode another .5" lower. So the total drop was approx. 2" from OEM ride height.
Basically any snowplow berms or snow in general more than 5" deep was challenging as the bottom of the car drags and of course will eventually loose traction as the car is lifted off the ground. The front lip launches any piles over 6" deep up and over the car. Spectacular , but not to practical or safe.
For this coming winter I plan to upgrade to new taller winter boots for those 14" steelies.
All that said, as long the roads are plowed a Yaris equipped with winter tires is excellent in our climate. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine anywhere at any time of year.
NOTE: I once drove through on storm on the OEM Goodyear LS three-seasons and was sure I wouldn't make it home due to the Guelph Line hills along my commute. Switching to winter tires made a HUGE difference in traction and confidence.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Have any of you ever used RustCheck? www.rustcheck.com

Back in the early 80's they first came to my city (Indianapolis) and I had my 1980 Turbo TransAm done by them, I think it's the oil method. I didn't keep the car long enough to see if it really worked.

They are still in business here but I never see any cars in the stalls being treated when I drive by.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
To the OP, I use to drive a 2000 Celica GT-S, which was lowered 2" from stock. Basically, I could NOT drive over a pop can. I ran 2 sets of tires. Some Good-Year GS-D3's in the summer, and Good-Year ICE snow tires. My snow tires were 1 size larger than the stocks. This added some ground clearance. SOME. When it got deep, you could hear the snow and ice dragging under the car. It took a lot of skill, but the Celica was a tank. In 8 years, I never got stuck. I did however have to clean out the snow/ice build-ups under the car and in the wheel wells once a week.

I'd say get some nice snow tires and leave the suspension alone. Just learn how to drive it. In my opinion, a front-wheel drive with snows is better than a stock 4-wheel drive Tahoe. Trust me, I pass the 4x4's that are in the ditch!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote