Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
gotayaris08

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
removed spare tire, but now the board is bending

I removed the spare tire in order to reduce the weight of the car in an attempt to reduce my fuel consumption. However, the board is beginning to bend because there is no longer a tire supporting it underneath. Is there anything I can buy that is light weight to take the place of the spare tire?

Perhaps a lightweight compartment for emergency supplies that is shaped like a tire?
gotayaris08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotayaris08 View Post
I removed the spare tire in order to reduce the weight of the car in an attempt to reduce my fuel consumption. However, the board is beginning to bend because there is no longer a tire supporting it underneath. Is there anything I can buy that is light weight to take the place of the spare tire?

Perhaps a lightweight compartment for emergency supplies that is shaped like a tire?
WHY??? WHY??? WHY??? Spare tires are there for a reason! Weren't you ever in boy/girl (can't tell by your name) scouts. You need to always be prepared. I hope you have at least a compressor and tire sealant, but remember sometimes tires can't be fixed that way and necessitate a spare tire. Not only do I keep my spare tire, but I also have a full tool box in my hatch as well. Can't tell you how many times I've bailed out friends in TRUCKS because they don't even have a screwdriver on them.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
ya forget everything else i just got two 10" subs the hell with the rest :) wieght for milage :( speakers for sound :))
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotayaris08 View Post

You can get aluminum flat stock @ Home Depot in various sizes and thicknesses. They usually come in around 3 foot pieces. Something like that might meet your needs.
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
gotayaris08

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Thanks! I will consider putting the tire back into the truck as I don't have a pump or sealant.

EasyDriver, thanks for the tip!
gotayaris08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
styrofoam?

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Road side assistance. And on long drives more then 100 miles, throw the spare back in, so you can keep moving on the road trip or whatever.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If you ever use sealant, you're going to be buying a new TPMS monitor for that wheel. And what a mess it is to clean out, anyway! Put that spare back in!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
pick up some high density foam and make a plug :)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Throw out the board and while you're at it i'm sure the carpet weighs a pound or two and as you dont have a spare in the car eliminate the jack and lug nut wrench,remove the hub caps if you dont have alloy wheels and if no one ever sits in the back seats,toss em.
Any one else got ideas on how gotayaris08 can save more weight?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
engine and transmission weigh around 300lbs. remove them! you could cut a hole in the floorboard where the pedals are now and use your feet. since the fuel tank is no longer needed, you can remove it as well, that'll drop at least 100lbs there.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Don't know about gotayaris08, but the driver of my Yaris could stand to lose some weight.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Long time ago, I started replacing the usual fiberboard spare tire covers with Mahogany plywood; it is cheap (doorskin), very light, shapes with a Stanley knife, and with 1/8" thick foam tape, is soundless. I have yet to have one sag, warp, or change shape, in ~40 years. If it needs to be stronger, just glue a couple of strips of 1x2 across underneath it, and it will hold a fair amount of weight.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
take out the back seat.. that'll net you about 2mpg... the spare... maybe .25, and the front seat is about 1mpg..... at least thats what it appeared to be when I stripped my car of everything cept the dash & head liner.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
I understand that relatively anything can break on your car, but they put spare tires on them for a reason.

It's a pretty common thing and it happens to everyone, road debris is just a fact of life. Why would you want to be sitting there waiting for someone else to get you going again when you can be back on the road in less than 20 minutes?

Like someone else said, if you want to save on weight, lose the back seat. I ran my short wheel base Jeep that way for years (not for weight but for trunk space). You can always put it back in when you need it.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
take out the back seat.. that'll net you about 2mpg... the spare... maybe .25, and the front seat is about 1mpg..... at least thats what it appeared to be when I stripped my car of everything cept the dash & head liner.
Nice to know. But it will be years before I have my 2 Yarises are paid off. Loan rules forbids doing any thing to reduce the resale value of the vehicle. I do not have space to store the back seat. It has been 5+ years since I had any one sit in my back seat. I hate those space saver tires. The only thing those space saver tires are good for is to drive to the nearest tire store. Plus I will bet the space saver tire will need to be replaced before my 2 Yarises wear out. I hate the idea of spending money to replace a space saver tire.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
Marthos

Drives: 07 3Dr LB
Thats what junk yards are for!

10 Bucks and ya got a new space saver and the wheel!!
Marthos is offline   Reply With Quote