Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
miiser
 
miiser's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: greece
Posts: 330
New OEM style Android headunit

Hi guys,

After a long search and a lot of confusion whether to buy a brand name HU or a Chinese Android HU, I finally made up my mind and I pulled the trigger on an OEM style Android one, that I found at great price.
Here it is:


I am very pleased with the fitment and the looks even thought the color is not exactly the same, itís more bright silver than the climate control panel but itís ok for me.

About the sound quality:
first of all itís a HUGE upgrade over the stock headunit. It has way more power and the speakers really came up to life. Also the quality is good enough, better than I expected. Of course if you are a serious audiophile you might not be very pleased. In this case you should go for the big brandnames like pioneer kenwood etc.

My only problem so far:
Damn the radio reception is weak. I plugged the amp wire to the headunit to amplify the signal, but I had no luck. Itís still weak compared to the stock headunit. I donít know how to fix the problem. Any ideas ??

About the installation:
Took 10 minutes. Every wire was plug and play with the factory wirings. There are adapters in the box that makes your life much easier. I only had to screw unscrew the bolts. Straight forward process.

Am I happy overall?
Of course. This headunit brings my 2008 yaris, to the present standards. Itís a very nice upgrade and you can customize it as much as you like. Plus there are tons of apps in the play store. The only thing that worries me is the antenna situation.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,743
Looks great. I don't think I've ever seen that gunmetal colour your stock plastic trim is. The colour of the HU itself looks like a perfect match for the silver trim I'm used to.

I've had two aftermarket HUs both with reception which falls well short of stock. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution that gets it up to par.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
miiser
 
miiser's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: greece
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Looks great. I don't think I've ever seen that gunmetal colour your stock plastic trim is. The colour of the HU itself looks like a perfect match for the silver trim I'm used to.

I've had two aftermarket HUs both with reception which falls well short of stock. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution that gets it up to par.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk


Thanks!
Oh really? Maybe this color is only one Europe models. Or maybe from the facelifted 2008 + onwards model?

Hmm I saw many posts about the antenna situation. And I didnít saw anyone mention any solutions yet. Maybe an aftermarket signal amplifier ?? Thatís what I am thinking


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Looks great. I don't think I've ever seen that gunmetal colour your stock plastic trim is. The colour of the HU itself looks like a perfect match for the silver trim I'm used to.

I've had two aftermarket HUs both with reception which falls well short of stock. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution that gets it up to par.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
+1 on all points.
__________________


2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Hi guys,

After a long search and a lot of confusion whether to buy a brand name HU or a Chinese Android HU, I finally made up my mind and I pulled the trigger on an OEM style Android one, that I found at great price.
Here it is:


I am very pleased with the fitment and the looks even thought the color is not exactly the same, itís more bright silver than the climate control panel but itís ok for me.

About the sound quality:
first of all itís a HUGE upgrade over the stock headunit. It has way more power and the speakers really came up to life. Also the quality is good enough, better than I expected. Of course if you are a serious audiophile you might not be very pleased. In this case you should go for the big brandnames like pioneer kenwood etc.

My only problem so far:
Damn the radio reception is weak. I plugged the amp wire to the headunit to amplify the signal, but I had no luck. Itís still weak compared to the stock headunit. I donít know how to fix the problem. Any ideas ??

About the installation:
Took 10 minutes. Every wire was plug and play with the factory wirings. There are adapters in the box that makes your life much easier. I only had to screw unscrew the bolts. Straight forward process.

Am I happy overall?
Of course. This headunit brings my 2008 yaris, to the present standards. Itís a very nice upgrade and you can customize it as much as you like. Plus there are tons of apps in the play store. The only thing that worries me is the antenna situation.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you tried PowerAmp yet? Actually, I think you can get a fully functional free demo for a period of time. I think you'll find it considerably better than the stock player. Glad to hear your install was easy. Gotta love the plug-and-play aspect. The unit looks really great in your Yaris.
__________________


2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #6
miiser
 
miiser's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: greece
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Have you tried PowerAmp yet? Actually, I think you can get a fully functional free demo for a period of time. I think you'll find it considerably better than the stock player. Glad to hear your install was easy. Gotta love the plug-and-play aspect. The unit looks really great in your Yaris.


Thank you! I am going to download it these days ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:45 AM   #7
scylla
 
Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 94
I haven't changed my HU, but do remember reading somewhere that the Yaris has a powered antenna. If it's not properly hooked up it gets lousy reception.

Maybe if you are able to get a schematic of both your old and new HU's you could troubleshoot it from there.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
I haven't changed my HU, but do remember reading somewhere that the Yaris has a powered antenna. If it's not properly hooked up it gets lousy reception.
The powered antenna is well known by now, and is not the issue. Without providing power to it, reception is near nonexistent. When power is supplied, reception improves significantly but still falls short of OEM units.



Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
miiser
 
miiser's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: greece
Posts: 330
New OEM style Android headunit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
The powered antenna is well known by now, and is not the issue. Without providing power to it, reception is near nonexistent. When power is supplied, reception improves significantly but still falls short of OEM units.



Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk


Yea, plus I already mentioned that I have hooked up the antenna amp already.
Thatís not the problem. Something else is... maybe an aftermarket antenna amp will fix the problem? I donít know honestly itís weird. I canít understand why Toyota made a simple radio swap, such a pain in the *** with the radio signal loss...

Also I have to mention that I didnít saw any big difference by plugging the antenna amp. Of course there is difference. But not that noticeable


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,743
iirc, I found the biggest difference in the AM band. Practically nothing picked up in AM while FM did receive very local stations fine without being powered. Power it up and AM came to life and the more distant FM stations came in, just much weaker than expected.

Again, this is the experience with 2 different, major brand, HUs.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
miiser
 
miiser's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 2009
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: greece
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
iirc, I found the biggest difference in the AM band. Practically nothing picked up in AM while FM did receive very local stations fine without being powered. Power it up and AM came to life and the more distant FM stations came in, just much weaker than expected.

Again, this is the experience with 2 different, major brand, HUs.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk


We have no am here in my county anymore for like 20 years.
Yes thatís my experience too. Weak distant fm stations. Itís better with the stronger stations but again not like the stock


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASAP information+opinions for Android Headunit. miiser In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 48 10-11-2018 06:09 AM
2004 Canadian Echo Hatchback Fog light Kit ( OEM Style ) mpcv2000 Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 26 04-06-2017 12:25 PM
OEM Changer headunit on sale at your stealer.. SKurj General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 3 05-12-2011 09:50 AM
RS sideskirts, 07 HB OEM headunit, header and hello kitty tip dean_park Items for Sale by private party 22 09-16-2010 07:41 PM
OEM style Lip GnomeBody Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 10 09-08-2009 01:29 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.