Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Aftermarket Clutch Q's

I have a question for those that have some experience with aftermarket clutches on their Yaris.

I'll be installing a lightweight flywheel and clutch sometime this summer and I'm trying to get an idea of what I should choose out of 2 options.

Option 1: Competition Clutch Lightweight flywheel sold with their stage 1 clutch. Cost: $499 USD

Option 2: Competition Clutch lightweight flywheel and an Exedy OEM Pro-kit clutch purchased separately. Combined cost: $400

I'd love to purchase the first option as they are matched perfectly and I know a stage 1 clutch can handle power/engage better. That said, I don't have money to burn so cost matters quite a bit. My question is, is a stage 1 clutch going to perform better than an Exedy pro-kit oem clutch, on a NA engine with a bunch of bolt ons, and is it worth an extra $100?

I don't ever plan to go boosted in my Yaris but I do like to drive very spiritedly and plan on doing some auto x this summer. I can't tell if I'm experiencing any clutch slip as I haven't built a boosted engine and truly felt it to know what it feels like. I could tell if I had clutch slip of a worn out clutch but this is not the case (my clutch seems to be in fine condition) although I'm not a fan of the Toyota oem clutch with its chatter and soft feel.

I can't help but feel a slight lag (slippage?) when I drop to 3rd gear and go WOT at 100km/h. I'm curious as to if it's worth the extra cash to go with a stage 1 clutch to improve the engagement during hard driving in a NA 1nz pushing a bit more than stock HP due to the bolt ons. Or is a stage 1 clutch a joke for those who are not boosted?

According to some other forums the Exedy oem pro-kit clutch is a bit of an improvement over the oem clutch but I don't believe it grabs any stronger.

FWIW I don't ever nor do I plan on doing clutch dumps.