Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
ezhacker1
 
ezhacker1's Avatar
 
Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,464
OBD2 scan tool to save fuel worth it?

I know it depends on how many miles you would drive in a year, the price of gas, and driving habits to see how much money you could save by driving further per gallon. (sorry if i missed some others)

I found this website to compare saving money through price of gallon and mileage gain.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

My info would be as follow:
$2.35/gallon
assuming 38 avg mpg (no fill up yet)
assuming increase of 10% with scan tool
estimated 9125 miles driven a year

so i would save $41 a year if i could maintain those variables.

cheapest scan tool iv found is the new Kiwi MPG for $86, so about 2 years of driving just to break even.



I know i am just focusing on the mpg side of these tools and not talking about the other features and conveniences but primarily i would look at any thing that has to do with mpg (fuel left, miles to empty, avg/inst mpg)


Any thoughts?
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax
 
Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 2,077
If you use it to change your driving habits, yes it's worth it. It will do more than help with fuel economy. It has many other features.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
LtNoogie
 
LtNoogie's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 2,534
But if you change your driving habits based on what you can learn on this forum, then save your money. OBDII give you situational awareness. That's what you're paying for. And the ones that can clear your CELs wil pay for themselves very quickly.
__________________
aFe Intake | Blitz Supercharger | Megan Header | TRD Exhaust | NST Pulley Set
TRD Shocks/Struts | Tanabe NF210 Springs | TRD Sway Bar | Motegi TRAKLITE wheels | Kuhmo Ecsta XS
R1 Concepts slotted rotors | Carbotech 1521 brake pads | stainless steel brake lines | Seibon vented carbon fiber hood
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
GeneW
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
I know it depends on how many miles you would drive in a year, the price of gas, and driving habits to see how much money you could save by driving further per gallon. (sorry if i missed some others)

I found this website to compare saving money through price of gallon and mileage gain.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

My info would be as follow:
$2.35/gallon
assuming 38 avg mpg (no fill up yet)
assuming increase of 10% with scan tool
estimated 9125 miles driven a year

so i would save $41 a year if i could maintain those variables.

cheapest scan tool iv found is the new Kiwi MPG for $86, so about 2 years of driving just to break even.



I know i am just focusing on the mpg side of these tools and not talking about the other features and conveniences but primarily i would look at any thing that has to do with mpg (fuel left, miles to empty, avg/inst mpg)


Any thoughts?

Uh, no, I don't buy the 10 percent savings....

When I hammer on my Yaris I usually get about 32 mpg. Some of our real speeders here report figures in the high twenties.

In contrast a good hypermiler, saying someone trying to emulate Brian, can get well over forty miles per gallon.

Assuming that you'd drive like me if you did not "know better" we're talking about 32 mpg. If you worked it right and were careful with DFCO, pulse 'n glide etc, you'd do well over forty miles per gallon. Let's say 42 mpg.

That's a 31 percent increase in mileage. Over the span of a year, given that you drive about 15,000 miles, we're talking a difference of gasoline consumption of about..

15,000miles* gallon/32miles = 469 gallons.

15,000miles * gallon/42miles = 357 gallons

For a difference of 112 gallons, or about 31 percent difference (a check).

For a grand total at $2.35/gallon times 112gallon or $263.

You'd "break even" on the Scangage, at a price of $169.00 in about...

$169/$263yearsavings*12months/year = 7 months 3 weeks (assuming four weeks per month).

I'm neglecting other costs, such as shipping and handling, tire wear difference and the lowered risk of accident if you don't drive like a bat out of hell.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
1NZYaris1
 
1NZYaris1's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,598
dam you and your info, way too much for the average man to take in
Just put BUY IT and get it from Microimage (Garm) best deals on the planet.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
MadMax
 
MadMax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 2,841
Wow, Gene's apparently got entirely too much time on his hands!

But I agree, I already go easy on the gas and get 34-35 MPG from my AT with 215/45ZR17 tires. I don't see how having improved SA will get me 38 MPG (figuring 10%).

But since we are talking about Garm, then by all means buy it! I am always in favor of supporting the forum vendors! And, for anyone who really wants insight into what their car is doing at any given moment, the ScanGauge is the ultimate geek tool! I know a lot of people in the Jeep community use them, but in Wranglers you need all the help you can get when it comes to gas mileage! It is like a billboard on wheels...which is why I am happy with my Yaris despite the fact that I know other people get much better gas mileage!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
ezhacker1
 
ezhacker1's Avatar
 
Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Uh, no, I don't buy the 10 percent savings....

Assuming that you'd drive like me if you did not "know better" we're talking about 32 mpg. If you worked it right and were careful with DFCO, pulse 'n glide etc, you'd do well over forty miles per gallon. Let's say 42 mpg.

That's a 31 percent increase in mileage. Over the span of a year, given that you drive about 15,000 miles, we're talking a difference of gasoline consumption of about..

15,000miles* gallon/32miles = 469 gallons.

15,000miles * gallon/42miles = 357 gallons

For a difference of 112 gallons, or about 31 percent difference (a check).

For a grand total at $2.35/gallon times 112gallon or $263.

You'd "break even" on the Scangage, at a price of $169.00 in about...

$169/$263yearsavings*12months/year = 7 months 3 weeks (assuming four weeks per month).

You are assuming too much of my driving habits. (no offense intended)

38mpg i am hoping to get with good driving habit with out the use of a scan tool. so to get to 42 is about 10 percent.

you are assuming i would drive 15,000 miles a year. but i said i would drive 9,125 miles a year.

You made it sound like a super big saving.

I obviously know more miles you drive and price of gas will affect your choice of getting a tool the most. So using the data i have given, would you think it is a good idea? i think its nice and cool but 2 years to break even, im thinking at least i would keep the car for 5 years, max 10 years.

in the long run sounds good, but man, tough for now.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Wow, Gene's apparently got entirely too much time on his hands!

Cheers! M2
I needed maybe two to five minutes to get it done. This is a trivial feasibility study.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
GeneW
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
You are assuming too much of my driving habits. (no offense intended)

38mpg i am hoping to get with good driving habit with out the use of a scan tool. so to get to 42 is about 10 percent.

you are assuming i would drive 15,000 miles a year. but i said i would drive 9,125 miles a year.

You made it sound like a super big saving.

I obviously know more miles you drive and price of gas will affect your choice of getting a tool the most. So using the data i have given, would you think it is a good idea? i think its nice and cool but 2 years to break even, im thinking at least i would keep the car for 5 years, max 10 years.

in the long run sounds good, but man, tough for now.
I didn't note your total mileage, though I think if you drive like a typical American with a mix of city and highway driving, and have cool weather in the winter you're not going to get 38mpg on average.

Ain't trying to discourage you, just speaking what I think are the facts here.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
jambo101
 
jambo101's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 1,297
I bought the ScanGauge because itsa neat toy,watching 25 or so different operating parameters on your car in real time is worth the price of the gauge.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
MadMax
 
MadMax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I bought the ScanGauge because itsa neat toy,watching 25 or so different operating parameters on your car in real time is worth the price of the gauge.
Maybe you should be watching the road, other vehicles, etc. instead!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
ham
 
ham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch 5-Speed
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MI U.S.
Posts: 28
Free SG II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
I know it depends on how many miles you would drive in a year, the price of gas, and driving habits to see how much money you could save by driving further per gallon. (sorry if i missed some others)

I found this website to compare saving money through price of gallon and mileage gain.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

My info would be as follow:
$2.35/gallon
assuming 38 avg mpg (no fill up yet)
assuming increase of 10% with scan tool
estimated 9125 miles driven a year

so i would save $41 a year if i could maintain those variables.

cheapest scan tool iv found is the new Kiwi MPG for $86, so about 2 years of driving just to break even.



I know i am just focusing on the mpg side of these tools and not talking about the other features and conveniences but primarily i would look at any thing that has to do with mpg (fuel left, miles to empty, avg/inst mpg)


Any thoughts?
I got a scangauge for x-mas $0
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Efficiency and the Yaris BailOut Fuel Economy Forum 313 11-07-2020 10:41 AM
Yaris Fuel Pump HTM Yaris General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 13 03-22-2012 03:34 AM
Last Fuel Bar andaconda Fuel Economy Forum 38 04-29-2009 02:35 PM
The Advantages of Nitrous on an Engine KCALB SIRAY Performance Modifications 7 01-02-2009 10:53 AM
Low fuel light falkor_99 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 35 08-24-2007 03:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.