Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
fainty_girl

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Car doors are not self-locking when left unlocked

I have a 2007 3-door YR hatchback, and noticed yesterday the doors are not self-locking when the car is left unlocked.

When I got the yaris from the dealer 4 months ago, the car salesman mentioned that the doors will self lock after a few minutes if the car is left unlocked, and this feature was working fine on the car.

Has anyone else had this problem?
fainty_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
cdmyaris

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
i dunno I didnt know it would function like that. I always lock it no matter what when im not in the car...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Shijima

Drives: 07 HB
It is an option on some toyotas, not on the yaris though.
Shijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
fainty_girl

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shijima View Post
It is an option on some toyotas, not on the yaris though.
It was definetly a feature of my yaris that was working when I bought it...
fainty_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
This is a standard feature for the aussie buyers i believe...

My YRX yaris automatically locks when i forget to lock it. I believe you should go to your dealer and find out whats wrong...it should take about 10 secs to auto. lock.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I am not sure but logically, if the car locks itself automatically no matter what, then there may come a chance of you leaving the key inside and the car locks the key in.
To avoid this, the car's computer should be able to tell that the key is outside the car before it locks the doors.
I suggest that you first lock the car from outside, then unlock it and then wait a minute to see if the car will re-lock itself automatically, now knowing that the key is outside of it. If even this fails, may be the car's warranty should be invoked.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
standard on mine, i've actually locked my self out with the engine running for atleast 30mins idle. now i carry a spare on me all times
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by manborn View Post
standard on mine, i've actually locked my self out with the engine running for atleast 30mins idle. now i carry a spare on me all times
I would have thought the auto lock system would have been able to determine that the ignition was on or at the very least that the accessories was on... weird.
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret_san View Post
I would have thought the auto lock system would have been able to determine that the ignition was on or at the very least that the accessories was on... weird.
on cars with chips in the keys they can.... but the US yaris has the standard old black key with no chip
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret_san View Post
i think this what might have happened, keyless click once - opens driver. started engine, closed door. now all is locked.

since then i've trained myself to, warm my car up then click the unlock all doors before leaving/closing the car. also a spare key is accessible
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #11
Capagotks
Chode

Drives: Silver 5 Door YRX 1.5L I4
Send a message via MSN to Capagotks
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
This is a standard feature for the aussie buyers i believe...

My YRX yaris automatically locks when i forget to lock it. I believe you should go to your dealer and find out whats wrong...it should take about 10 secs to auto. lock.
really? mine locks after 30 seconds if i unlock it and dont open. it wont do it if i just forget to lock it
Capagotks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
on cars with chips in the keys they can.... but the US yaris has the standard old black key with no chip
Not true on the upgraded power package. Mine has the chip in key. Quite nice actually. Like my ol' Scion Tc.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Our Yaris auto locks itself as well if you unlock the doors and then don't get into the car for 30 seconds.

This can be annoying when washing the car or doing maintenance.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainty_girl View Post
I have a 2007 3-door YR hatchback, and noticed yesterday the doors are not self-locking when the car is left unlocked.

When I got the yaris from the dealer 4 months ago, the car salesman mentioned that the doors will self lock after a few minutes if the car is left unlocked, and this feature was working fine on the car.

Your dealer is right.....halfway ~

If you unlock the car and don't open any doors for 45 seconds....it will automatically lock itself again ~

However....once you open the door then that just cancels out ~

Come to think of it....you wouldn't want your car to automatically lock besides the way I mentioned above....because....if you think about it....say you got out of the car after parking.....and you suddenly see a friend and get out of the car and start chatting.....but you have left your car keys in your bag....which is in the car ~ After about 2 minutes....your car automatically locks.....what will your reaction be?

Cause I did think of the auto lock after "whatever" minutes thing but then it took me to that scenario.....though....the "Smart Keys" are designed to auto lock when is senses that the keys are not near the car anymore ~ Which is cool ~

Jaspie ~
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I would hate to have that...the whole keys locked in the car thing would piss me off.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #16
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
If I use the keyless remote to unlock the car, and then don't proceed to open a door, within 30 seconds it locks itself back up...It doesn't lock up after exiting the car however...

Cheers
yes this is how mine works also,
Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
yes this is how mine works also,
Same here.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #18
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainty_girl View Post

I had a Viper installed and the car will lock immediately when the key is inserted. When I come home in the garage, the car unlocks and will not relock unless I use the key pad and lock it myself, which I like. Prior to buying my Yaris that I love I had a Lexus (that I do not miss) and I was forever getting locked out while leaning it...so I like the lock it yourself style but others may not.
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote